Johnnya101

Help recommend a car for a 17 year old?

Hello folks,

As the title says, I'm a 17 year old. I've been interested in antiques for many years, and over the past couple have started to get into cars. I built a 1927 T speedster over the past winter as a learning experience, and am now (or soon will be) ready to upgrade.

I do have an actual daily driver. But I am looking for something to drive a lot during the warmer months (New England). I'd like something that has plenty of parts or support for (especially easy to find sized tires and stuff like that) I do not mind things like no radio, no power anything, low max speed, stuff like that. I would want something that can be found for around $6000 and below, that can be found in general good or driver condition, nothing showroom, but nothing with rust holes and mice eaten interior either. Really don't want to go broke finding parts and buying the thing pretty much.

I love model As, but will never find one that doesn't need an interior and new paint job at my budget.

I love styles of all years. I've been seeing stuff like a falcon of a valiant that matches my criteria, but I'd love something that's more 50s style (or even earlier).

Do any of you have any recommendations for someone like me?

Thank you for any help provided, I greatly appreciate it.

Edited by Johnnya101 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Something to drive a lot. Something looking 50s. Something that will not break the bank. Something with parts availability.

60 to 64 Corvair 4 door. 

1. Cheap both to buy and parts to keep running (as opposed to 100 point restoration).

2. Parts available, both new - Clark's Corvair Parts is right there in Shelburn Falls, MA. and used, as many club members have parted out rusty ones in that area.

3. Roof line of 4 door 60 to 64 is like roof lines of late 50s GM big cars.

4. They love to be driven regularly. Keeps up with modern traffic. Never had, because it doesn't need it, power brakes or steering.  Many still in use as daily drivers where it does not salt so much.

Now others will chime in with their favorites!?

• Like 1

I own a Model A and you can't find another car with the amount of parts available. As to what Frank suggests, I saw a beautiful Corvair sell for $8000 on one of the TV auctions. If I was at the auction, I would have bid on it, it was that nice. That car would have been a great driver/show car, you can't get any sort of collectable for $8K.

Johnny, I would say that a decent (#3 condition)

1950's 4-door sedan can be found for your $6000

price.  Asking prices, especially by for-profit

classic car dealers, may be double a car's 

worth, but some patient looking will give you

some possibilities.

A few years ago there was a circa-1954 Oldsmobile

sedan for sale on our forum for right around your

price.

I think a 1946 - 1954 Chevrolet would be a good summer ride.  They are relatively inexpensive (I know of a 2 door '47 for sale here in Paisley, Florida for $4,000), easy to work on and parts are readily available.  Although I'm partial to Chevys, don't over look Fords of the same era. 

Good luck in your quest.

Cheers,

Grog

Johnny, a four door will usually be less expensive.  '60s rides will likely need less done to them than '50s.  I am with you, though, '50s, especially pre '55 would be my choice and should be doable in your budget.

Good luck

Ben

Well I've always kinda wanted a Studillac (first restomod ) but were a lot of interesting cars in the '50s (D-500 Desoto) mostly from Chrysler. Another I've always liked was the first gen Valliant with the slant six (and there was a 4bbl available).

Just some thoughts.

Welcome to the Forum, nice to know there are young guys that still like Model A Fords. Check the classified section on the HAMB website, sure, it is a Traditional Hot Rod site but there are a lot of stone stock cars listed as well. Bob 

I wish I had your know how when I was your age(I’m 24). And my mom being cool with owning a classic car or two.

I know two guys around your age by me who daily drive a 67 mustang and a 72 bug. I’d recommend the former, Since you seem to be a Ford guy. More specifically the 65-66 mustang. They made over  a million of them they have a good following and availablity of parts. The 6 cylinders are pretty cheap and reliable, my dad drove his weekly until he sold it. And they look the same as something with an 8 in it. Not exactly the 50s look but it’s still a nice car. And almost everyone knows what it is.

• Like 1

Keep scanning Craigslist. You may find something interesting. Search 1960 and earlier and price in the $2k to $6k range. I just found this Hudson - 

It's really great that you have an interest in old cars! I hope you can maintain your interest and enthusiasm in the years to come. 

It is easy to become demoralized when seeing the asking prices of a lot of the cars from the very early 1970's or before. Very high. I was out of the market for about a dozen years, so I was  surprised to see what running vehicles from pre-1973 were going for when I started looking online again several months ago. In fact, a lot of people are very proud of non-running rusty hulks. Of course, these folks rarely sell these vehicles at the price they're asking, but they keep asking the high prices anyway.

I don't own show cars, only drivers, and I don't have the resources or equipment for total restorations, so I look for affordable cars, as well. I finally picked up a classic car worth owning at an affordable price, but it was like finding a needle in a haystack. Lots of patience required...and a wild goose chase or two. (Don't hesitate to back out of any deal that doesn't feel right...I mean where the seller wants you to trust him a little more than you should...or refuses to be upfront about some obvious things.)

As far as I can tell from what I see online, the best values in old cars from desirable eras are often found with economy cars. Some folks mentioned Corvairs, and they really do seem to be regularly priced in the affordable range. Reliably good values. If you want something with an "older" look to it than a Corvair, then a VW Beetle is the other great value in vintage collector cars.

If you want something with a more conventional 1950's American vibe, however, I've found that low end Mopars from the early 1950's or late 1940's are still a pretty decent value. I'm talking Dodge and Plymouth. They can look pretty cool, but still be lower priced. This is because they kind of fit into the category of "economy" car, as well. They're usually powered by lower powered flathead sixes, so they definitely aren't highway cruisers, but should be able to keep up with most in town traffic situations. The 1950 Plymouth P-19 I had about 10 years ago always caught people's eye because it had a fastback body shape...sort of reminiscent of GM's ultra cool "sedanette" body style of the same era. The Plymouth was a lot less money though. Good luck!

Don't forget AMC.  I have even seen early 60's ragtops for 5 to 6 G.  This one has an asking price of 4500 OBO.

Here is this 61.  Doesn't look too bad other than the seats and a fuel issue.  AMC NOS parts for this era are pretty cheap and I believe all mechanical parts are still available from regular parts stores.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/d/1961-amc-rambler-classic-sedan/6744396669.html

00000_jCH318QiiKf_600x450.jpg

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

This seems like a really good deal and by 1954 should have the 235, full pressure lubricated, engine. (I think)

Those 6's are nearly bullet proof.......even the earlier ones with splash lubed rods if you don't drive like a maniac.

They are dead simple to work on too.

• Like 1