Sign in to follow this  
RodneyUK

1956 Pistons advice needed

Looking for advice for the Pistons in my 1956 Buick Special. One of my Pistons has started to break up around the ring. Looking for somewhere to buy a replacement. Does anyone know if these Pistons have a history of being bad?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Rod.

Regardless of where you get the piston, weigh the old one a digital scale to see how much it weighs.  THEN make the new one weigh that much in order to keep the "balance" correct.  The ONLY pistons that weigh what your's does is a FACTORY piston, as all aftermarket pistons will weigh more, by observation.

Just a thought,

NTX5467

1956 322's really get screwed in terms of pistons. The suppliers are more likely to sell you 55 pistons and low compression head gaskets. As far as I know, Egge is the only place that currently makes pistons for the 322. All other places get their stuff from Egge, unless its custom order. 

• Thanks 1

I got lucky with mine. I used the casting number on the inside of the skirt and posted a want ad here and found a good used one. (Lot of good people here wanting to help) Used my old rod,  put new rings on and was good to go. What I was told about these pistons is that were had been some casting problems and some would self destruct. Mine did

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 3:29 PM, RodneyUK said:

Does anyone know if these Pistons have a history of being bad?

These and other pistons are bad when  a low octane fuel was used, resulting in detonation.  Also build up of carbon on the piston results in fracture over the upper ring when a hard piece breaks loose and gets jammed between the piston and the cylinder head.

• Like 1