MarkV

What do you display with your car at a show?

I really dislike numerous displays set up around the car, as they make it hard to take a good photo. I don't like open hoods for the same reason, unless that engine really is something special - like an original 6 cylinder in a Camaro, or a nicely detailed straight eight Packard, etc. I also find that a lot of clutter around the car leads to things getting stepped on, knocked over, etc. 

I always display my own car closed and locked, with nothing around it. I do display a few small things that fit on the dashboard - a small framed history of the car, a dealer' scale model in the same color as my car, plus the original manual and sales brochure. When I'm around the car, I can always open and show anything that somebody wants to see, and when I'm away looking at other cars, I'm not worried about leaving it unattended. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That pierce is beautiful but why do you block the car with pictures of the car especially since its pictures of things I could see by looking at the car but that are now blocked by the pictures..??

Edited by billorn (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I always display with the hood closed (I'll open if asked). My F1 I have 3 laminated sheets I clip to the racks on the stake bed racks, one gives the history of the truck, and the other two give some specs on the truck. My FarmOroad I throw a thin booklet on the seat that shows some copies of factory information. I do use my F1 stake bed as a platform to display things on at engine shows.

If I'm around my vehicle I also allow children to be displayed sitting in my cars so the parents can take pictures.

• Like 2

In our shop we make window stickers for all the cars. A few bullet points with interesting facts about that particular car, a specifications box, and photos of the exterior, interior, and engine. People are encouraged to take them with them if it's a car they're interested in so they have a reference. Instant brochure.

I made similar ones for my personal cars, although I don't often use them mostly because I don't remember to. They don't get in the way, they don't block the view, they can't fall over and hurt the car, I don't have to carry them or stow them or protect them or pack them up at the end of the day, and I don't have to have the hood, doors, or trunk open for people to see them. And if nothing else, it cuts down on answering the same question over and over.

Sticker.thumb.jpg.079fadb8750bbe7bfa06d808783886d5.jpg

• Like 3

I display a framed detailed description of the car so that people know what they are looking at. I display my car with the engine compartment opened and I believe the engine and the engine compartment should be as clean and tidy as the outside. Looks aside, when the hood or deck lid are close I feel someone is hiding something. On the other side of the coin if the engine compartment is dirty it shouldn't be shown.

Take a look at the photo below. All the paint including the engine is original, has 115,000 miles and the car is one year older than the original posters car;

p1080789.jpg

One thing that I am tempted to add to the car when shown is a 1/18 exact scale model of my '68 AMX. Same color, red line tires, engine, etc.  I think it is rare that a metal 1/18th model could be so correct, and that's the only reason I might like to add it strictly as a conversion piece.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Doug Novak said:

One thing that I am tempted to add to the car when shown is a 1/18 exact scale model of my '68 AMX. Same color, red line tires, engine, etc.  I think it is rare that a metal 1/18th model could be so correct, and that's the only reason I might like to add it strictly as a conversion piece.

Then go ahead and display it. Just because a couple of guys here don't like doing it doesn't mean you shouldn't. As a matter of fact, if you counted the replies on this thread you would probably see that there are more guys who do display something than guys who don't. I agree that a lot of stuffed animals or a dozen trophies aren't what I want to see but to each his own.... 

• Like 1

I put a short story of my 1964 Vespa in plastic sleeve and attached it to the handlebars at some shows provided it was not a windy day.  The Vespa was unrestored and retained many interesting points like its original paint, old registration plate, inspection sticker and even the dealer’s advertising sticker.  Many people enjoyed knowing its history especially when they read I rescued it from the trash when the wife of the owner had enough of it taking up garage space and pushed it out to the curb when he was at work.  Fortunately he called me and I got it before the trash man did.  It has won several trophies for its originality.  Best trash day find ever for me.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:33 PM, billorn said:

That pierce is beautiful but why do you block the car with pictures of the car especially since its pictures of things I could see by looking at the car but that are now blocked by the pictures..??

Yep, the big photos overwhelm the real thing.  Would rather see the car with nothing in front of it.  

When I take this one to a show I let anybody that wants to sit in it.

Most have their picture taken.

Its a hit with kids. Future enthusiasts.

Even Elvis like it.

Puyallup show 003.jpg

28 Dodge.jpg

20140906_162624.jpg

• Like 1

I like the hood closed to keep the original design flow in tact. But sometimes you take one of them moderin cars to a cruise in and the hood needs to be open so they don't think the old guy parked his Lucerne there by accident.

005.thumb.JPG.4a2fdaeb6c15ce6b103205ff16582387.JPG

0022.jpg.5ec02e2d6a3d8b177f4c320fc2ac805b.jpg

Ten more years of detailing and I should do pretty well at Hershey.

Bernie