Sign in to follow this  
ROBERTWILLIAM

1936 Packard Packard

Great car, wretched color.

Looks like he had a trophy shop engrave that data plate rather than the hand held, single stamps with a hammer routine.

2 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Great car, wretched color.

Looks like he had a trophy shop engrave that data plate rather than the hand held, single stamps with a hammer routine.

Agreed on the color.  I thought maybe we'd also have a conversation about patent date on the Phillips screws holding the data plate, but that can wait.

Does look like a nice car, though, and 120's are great drivers.....

• Haha 1

There was a twin to it for sale a couple of Months ago on Hemmings.  That not only was much more attractive in a pale yellow color, but was also a body off restoration,  that still looked very nice and was hands down a nicer car for less money.  I think it sold quick.  I was going to try to trade my 40 Ford coupe for it,  but it was a step above my car so I didn't feel the seller would be interested.  It looked like maybe he just got the car to flip it,  as it had little information about the history in the ad and was at a shop with other old cars judging from the photos. 

@auburnseeker

You never know what they're willing to trade for. I had an aged streetrod and was looking at a senior Packard. I told the guy I wanted to trade with some money, he told me "No". Three months later he called back to see if my offer still stood. Needless to say we traded quickly! 

I probably should have persued it,  but my 40 is bone stock,  so It didn't offer much in the way of a hot rod experience.  The restoration work on the Packard looked more thurough than on my 40, though my 40 isn't junk ,  it's just not flawless. 

I did try to trade it for a 47 Hudson commodore conv't that is local to me.  It's cosmetically very strong,  but has a  stuck valve and clutch,  plus has been sitting a long time so it will need brakes and tires.  Mine is fresh and ready to go,  but the Hudson guy was interested in selling it only,  though I think he is 10 g over what it is really worth on his asking price.