Replacing lock pillar seals '63 Riv

Bdad

54 minutes ago, Bdad said:

Trying to find the instructions in the body manual and online for changing/replacing the lock pillar seals for my '63 Riv. Any suggestions you have or an explanation/video c

I am remembering off the top of my head. I think they are really easy, Put the rear window down and there is only 1 screw to remove and you can pull it out.

Bill

I got the old one's out but for the life of me I can't get the new one's to line up so the bottom lip fits over the bottom of the metal. There must be a trick to doing it. I do have large hands so the space is really tight for my fingers but I simply can't get the edges of the seal that press against the metal to slide into place. It's almost like I need a tool ( a mini pry bar?) to reach inside and pull up on the base of the seal to exert pressure to snap it into place. Was hoping someone had done it and had a trick to make it work.

Solved. I took some Dawn and gently coated both the surface of the pillar seals and the metal as well. I also went to the auto parts store locally and bought a door panel remover. I put the remover in the vise and heated it and bent it another 15-20 degrees to improve (increase) the angle. I used the remover to pull a the bottom of the seal and wiggled it into place and then (after pre-screwing the holes) put the 2 screws in and worked around it to get the seal edges properly set.

Once I got the first one done (10 min) the second took 5 or less. So, the Dawn + the modified door panel remover did the trick. Thanks to all for your suggestions. I appreciate it.

• Like 1