1950panhead

1948 Tucker #1057 on ebay

How does "10 original miles" have any meaning for a car that was built 10 years ago?

I love that there's a 3.5 million dollar asking price, but you have to put down a $500 non-refundable deposit.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I  hope  he likes the  car, at  that  price he is  going  to  have it  for  his  lifetime. The  big  thing, its  not  a  real  Tucker.

• Like 1

I am not generally a fan of "kit" cars or recreations, tributes or any other number of names applied to one off productions. So, while I am familiar with this make, I am not that well versed on Tucker history, post-closing. I understand this car was not built under the supervision of Preston Tucker but if it was built with all original Tucker panels and drive train and retains a correct Tucker chassis number wouldn't the only thing not really desirable be the car's completion date?

Apologies in advance if I've missed something glaring here. Just looking for some enlightenment.

Greg

The listing says this very car was displayed at "the largest car show in the world, the Antique Automobile Cluib of America's Hershey, PA meet."

Would that be the real AACA or the pretenders?  

Edited by D Yaros
format quoted text (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

In case anyone would like to read the previous posts about this car, check out this old link: 

• Like 1

"Really" the only thing holding me back is the fact I can't have a matching "his and hers" pair.  Just takes all the attraction out it for me.

...actually I like it a lot , price does seem a bit out of this world.

Greg

• Like 2

Talk about a rare car, it’s one of none! Provenance is an actual word, and you can look it up in the dictionary. Having dealt with a bunch of high end cars, I can tell you for a fact before anyone puts seven figures down on the table, you better have LOTS MORE than some affidavits written 70 years post fact. Photos, bills of sale, paperwork trails...........not a story about a rusty  frame with some extra globs of rust hanging off of it. I personally don’t see very low six figures for any Tucker, craftsmanship and engineering make it look much more like a kit purchased from Tractor Supply. Ask the boys who were at Pebble Beach this year with the Tucker automatic transmission. They had lots to say about it..............I won’t repeat what was said.......this is a family site!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Waiting for a Tucker station wagon, or the Tucker Carioca, that never went into production:  7554822_orig.jpg Why doesn't someone fab one of those together? From Car Life Magazine. The Plymouth Prowler resembles this a little.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Wonder if the Carioca would come standard with a sing-along radio?  Oh, wait, I may be confused.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am not generally a fan of "kit" cars or recreations, tributes or any other number of names applied to one off productions. So, while I am familiar with

this make, I am not that well versed on Tucker history, post-closing. I understand this car was not built under the supervision of Preston Tucker but if it
was built with all original Tucker panels and drive train and retains a correct Tucker chassis number wouldn't the only thing not really desirable be the
car's completion date?  Apologies in advance if I've missed something glaring here. Just looking for some enlightenment.

I like old cars and motorcycles.  I have owned several.
When I drive or look at old cars it is a portal to the past, years gone by.
Here is an example,  Ford, John Wyer, Kar Kraft, Shelby built 105 gt40's in the 60's.
These cars now sell for 5 to 12 million at auction in recent years.
Superperformance builds these cars now.  Most parts interchange with originals, they look the same, they have authentic vin numbers, they sell for $180k,
I want one !
The lions share of the value, 99%, comes from being authentic and original.
Same situation with this Tucker, it was not built in 1948, all the parts are the same but it is not authentic and original.
The current owner is trying to present it as authentic, most everyone knows it is not a 1948 Tucker, this has a huge effect on value.

I think this case is quite a bit different than modern production " continuation" cars.  The sellers are claiming that this car is indeed a genuine 1948 Tucker , just not a car that was completed before Tuckers bankruptcy and closure. They seem to be claiming that many if not most of the parts are genuine 1948 Tucker parts and that construction of the car was well under way while Tucker was still in business.  In a situation like this , if true, the "completion" date becomes somewhat irrelevant.

This sort of situation is not unheard of in old cars. Manufactures build many prototypes and styling exercises . Most are eventually scrapped, however a few survive and become hobby cars.

The forum posts, particularly the old thread about this car cast quite a bit of doubt on the sellers version of this cars creation.

Edinmass above hits the nail on the head. The proof of what the seller is claiming is critical. Especially when prices approach the sort of range this car is in.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Next your gonna tell us Santa doesn’t come down the chimney and leave our presents. Who eats the cookies and drinks the milk then?

Sorry, Tucker never built a convertible.  All in all, it could be deemed a kit car.  They look nice, usually from afar, (20 footers) and never approach the value of an Original.

Matt

Edited by jackofalltrades70 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I saw it in the car coral at Hershey. I am sure I spent more time looking at a couple of black or red Roadmaster convertibles. I think I watched the people around the car more than I paid attention to the details of the car. "They" appeared more special than the car.

I like a lot of cars that are outside of my personal experience for many reasons, but, standing there, I couldn't get a single dendrite to hook up with the car to save my life. It was just an oddity.

Take a look in the Riviera section of the Forum. A topic I was reading there makes me think you would park it with the hearses and ambulances at a Buick meet.

Bernie

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

. "They" appeared more special than the car.

I like a lot of cars that are outside of my personal experience for many reasons, but, standing there, I couldn't get a single dendrite to hook up with the car to save my life. It was just an oddity.

You crack me up.

Perhaps their synapses were simply misfiring? :lol:

I was really enjoying this whole thread and then you guys ruined my 57yr old life. There’s no Batman or Santa Claus????? man, that hurts to find out. Well, at least I can still hold out hope for Superman, the Green Lantern, and Spider-Man. So I suppose the crush I had when I was a kid on Cat Woman is ruined too. Now that’s the one that really hurts!😩

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it’s interesting the Convertible owner keeps harping on a bunch of “real” cars were assembled after the plant closed from parts, so his machine is of the same provenance............and I thought good fiction was no longer being written!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2018 at 10:00 AM, chistech said:

There’s no Batman or Santa Claus?????

Don't feel too bad. Would you be interested in Mr. McGregor's tractor? I'm thinking of selling it and it is not completely petered out.

image.png.0df751a79dac1c1bde3b34aec8e4b644.png

1939 Allis Chalmers with a loader!

• Like 2