Hub Puller ID by # ?

30DodgePanel

Is it possible to ID hub pullers by the numbers and symbols stamped on them ? 

I have two 2 1/2" pullers that are similar but stamped with different markings and the inside looks like different molds were used at the foundry. One is stamped 11074 with a 3 below it, and the inside is more rounded in the quartered section. The other one is also stamped 11074 but then it also has a stamp of A040 with an X and a H in a diamond shaped outline. Both are 16 TPI

I'm guessing someone needs these for a specific tool kit.

I have several other sizes that will need to be identified and will be for sale once I get proper ID. Just want to make sure they get into the right hands as I'm sure they are hard to find. 

Any ideas what vehicles these belonged to ?

Regards,
Dave

014.JPG

013.JPG

009.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I have a feeling pullers of this type probably were usually sold as universal tools to be used on any car or truck with the matching size hub threads.  Some might have been vehicle manufacturer supplied but I think most were sold by local auto parts supply stores. There is a chance  they are not even automotive.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I suppose they could be used for other than automotive but I've seen countless ads, photos, and even information in our Dodge Brothers Club authentic tools publication that verifies these types of pullers were designed for automobiles. 

Hub 1.jpg

Hub 2.jpg

30DodgePanel, I tried finding answers like this years ago on this forum but after the last change in the forum I'm unable to access that post and it's findings. Luckily someone on the MTFCA forum saved 2 pictures and they list a few examples listed with your diameter but you need to check your TPI or threads per inch.

Hope this helps,

Howard Dennis

Hub Pullers 2.jpg

Hub Pullers 1.jpg

• Like 1

I have no doubt the vast majority of these pullers were sold as automotive tools. However in many cases they were a universal design that was not specific to a particular make. No doubt some were indeed factory supplied to service a specific vehicle .

The reason I mentioned non-automotive is that at one time I was involved with large industrial centrifuges. They required quite a few special tools for dismantling and cleaning some of which were nearly identical to the pullers in question.

But of course automotive tools will be sold in substantially greater quantities than industrial tools and a person is much more likely to encounter the automotive version.

Greg

3 hours ago, hddennis said:

30DodgePanel, I tried finding answers like this years ago on this forum but after the last change in the forum I'm unable to access that post and it's findings. Luckily someone on the MTFCA forum saved 2 pictures and they list a few examples listed with your diameter but you need to check your TPI or threads per inch.

Hope this helps,

Howard Dennis

Thanks Howard, 

I may be able to track it down. Do you recall the approximate year and what forum it was in ? Was it in Buick, General discussion or Dodge Brothers etc.. ?

I know I've seen something about parts #'s on these before and thought I verified it but misplaced the info.

Edit: TPI is 16 btw

Dave

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

I have no doubt the vast majority of these pullers were sold as automotive tools. However in many cases they were a universal design that was not specific to a particular make. No doubt some were indeed factory supplied to service a specific vehicle .

The reason I mentioned non-automotive is that at one time I was involved with large industrial centrifuges. They required quite a few special tools for dismantling and cleaning some of which were nearly identical to the pullers in question.

But of course automotive tools will be sold in substantially greater quantities than industrial tools and a person is much more likely to encounter the automotive version.

Greg

Thanks for your input Greg, 

I would agree that these were used in other industries and served several uses. Good point.

I have a box full of these hub pullers, and I probably should get them out and make them available to folks who might need and use them, instead of allowing them to accumulate dust. 

Now let's see, where were those heavy old things, last time I saw them? ?

4 hours ago, hddennis said:

Dave, I was finally able to access the older post but nothing more than what I posted.

Howard Dennis

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/148340-screw-on-hubcap-sizes/?tab=comments#comment-705543

Big help! thank you Howard.  I can tell you and I both have a passion for the small details that most in the hobby could care less about. 

My wife calls it OCD. My nephew calls it useless information.  I call it historically correct ; ) lol

I guess I'm a dork like that... I find it very interesting and love the challenge of these types of projects. Just wish I had more time and money to help it along more rapidly because I know folks have a need for these types of answers. Even if they don't show any interest initially, if they're in the hobby eventually these questions will come up. Pulling all the information into one place or resource would be useful for generations to come that wish to enjoy the hobby as well, I guess that's true with any topic in the hobby.

Oh well, enough of my soapbox.... I'm here if you need help on the project still.

The parts #'s that are stamped into these pullers are still plaguing me though... I wish I could find someone or something that sheds light on to this topic.

Also, in regards to the 2 1/2" with 16 TPI section you can add 1929-32  DA124" wb and U124"wb  3/4 ton trucks to that list. 
I also believe a correction needs to be made to page 2 showing DA and 1/2 ton Dodge trucks using a 2 1/2". That is incorrect, those two types of vehicles both use 2 3/8" 16 TPI hubcaps.

Edit :

Ok , scratch that.. I see now it's a continuation on the 2 3/8" section, it threw me off cause the pages were out of place. My mistake...

Regards,
Dave