1969 Cutlass 350 engine advice

trimacar

Well, I think I spun a cam bearing in my 1969 350 engine, or at least I think that's what the squeal is.  Not the water pump, which I was hoping.  Funny in a way, as an friend of mine who rebuilds engines had just the week before talked about cam bearing issues.

So, went to a friend of mine who runs a restoration shop, said to install a new engine would run $9000-10,000.  That was buying a new long block and all labor.

I know it won't be inexpensive, but any suggestions appreciated, where to buy a short or long block, who rebuilds an engine reasonably, and so forth.  The engine in my car, besides having the supposed cam bearing problem, also has a weak bottom end with wear.

Thanks David C.

I've owned and built Oldsmobiles for nearly half a century and I've never heard or a spun cam bearing. Unless the cam was excessively tight in the bearing or oil was cut off, I don't know how you'd even do that. $10K sounds really high.  I just got through rebuilding an Olds 455 - forged aftermarket pistons, hardened seats, oversize valves, teflon seals, Clevite bearings, custom cam and lifters, roller rockers, roller timing chain, Mellings oil pump and pickup - and I don't have $5K in it with all the machine work. Of course, I did assembly and installation myself. 350 Olds blocks can be had for $100-200.

• Like 1

Well, I'm just guessing a spun bearing.  The engine squeals, the same sound as a bad water pump, but I have all belts removed so nothing at front of engine turning.

I could remove engine myself, problem is just time, I have quite a few projects going on right now.

Knowing the shop I quoted, it would also be cosmetically restored as it's put back, so that adds a good bit of cost too.

thanks  dc

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

Well, I'm just guessing a spun bearing.  The engine squeals, the same sound as a bad water pump, but I have all belts removed so nothing at front of engine turning.

I could remove engine myself, problem is just time, I have quite a few projects going on right now.

Knowing the shop I quoted, it would also be cosmetically restored as it's put back, so that adds a good bit of cost too.

thanks  dc

Understand about the "mightaswells" (which is why my 67 Olds isn't together yet...). A friend of mine just had his 69 F-85 engine replaced by Gunther's Machine in Walkersville, MD. I don't know the cost, but they did nice work.  I had all my machine work done by Gunther's also.