How buttercup got her groove back

NC-car-guy

Well here it is, my big anouncement. My dealer has supplied steady feed to my addiction and this time I've been entrusted with one of his favorites.  I am purchasing buttercup from Buick Gardens. After fixing some errors made by the owner previous to Lamar, she will be well cared for, driven, and enjoyed.  Oh did I mention insured to max also?  More photos to come.

gallery_1629_44_1459283229_2196.jpg

gallery_1629_44_1459283229_2197.jpg

gallery_1629_44_1459283229_2198.jpg

• Like 15

4 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Mr Earl keeps selling, he will not need that new shop!

Ben

I'm still waiting for the day he decides to part with the McCulloch. :P

Beautiful car Matt. I'm glad you didn't give up like you said you were. Owning these cars is tough and scary at times, I can't even count on both hands how many times I wished my 56 would rot in hell.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

She's been off the road for 10 years..... Gonna need a lil touch up before hittin' the road, especially a 300 mile trip.

If you are older than 80, it is best to be cautious and have it shipped..otherwise just take of like you know what you are doing.:D

Bought from a "barn builder":o...it it considered a barn find? 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, old-tank said:

If you are older than 80, it is best to be cautious and have it shipped..otherwise just take of like you know what you are doing.:D

Even at half of 80, I'm pretty cautious.... Ive got a truck and trailer, it's easiest that way.

It wasn't marketed to me as a barn find, but I'll be taking it out of a barn so....

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, old-tank said:

What do you mean, "older than eighty" ?   Talking about yourself, maybe!:lol:

Ben

• Haha 1

A little side story,  when I went to pick up the 1960 Buick, that was 185 miles from my home, the gentleman that sold me the Buick asked when the tow truck is coming.  After all, the Buick had been sitting  for some time.  I looked at him and said I'm driving her home.  He looked at me in disbelief.  I  replaced a broken stoplight switch by the master.  Threw two fan belts in the trunk.   Motor-vated through the hills of western MD to home without issue.  Fella that sold me the Buick called later on that day concerned the car would not make it. 

For me, check the vitals, lights and test the brakes.  Then roll!      

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Mr Earl keeps selling, he will not need that new shop!

Ben 

As the old saying goes," be patient enough to know that things take time but wise enough to know that TIME takes things". Guess I got the first part right but wasn't wise enough see the latter coming. Just trying to get some things in the hands of folks who are better able to sort their priorities,  stay focused and get things done.This car has been sitting disassembled in the barn for over 10 years waiting on me to "get back to her".  With what all I have going on I had to start wondering if I haven't gotten back to her in the last ten years what the hell makes me think I'll get to her in the next ten. And while I'm not planning on leaving this old world anytime soon, at least this way I can choose who it goes to and even make some conditions of sale if I like and which I did. Besides, the "new shop" holds 4 Buicks, count the Buicks in my signature Ben. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Chicken!   Where's your sense of adventure?:P.    If it runs and stops. It IS a BUICK.

Ben

Sense of adventure ends driving 300 miles on aged tires.  ?  Besides, if he drives the car home, who's going to drive the vehicle home that got them there?

1 minute ago, RivNut said:

Sense of adventure ends driving 300 miles on aged tires.  ?  Besides, if he drives the car home, who's going to drive the vehicle home that got them there?

Once right out of college I drove my 85 AMC wagon on 10 year old tires.  The tread fell off one snowy day heading back to Manassas from Andrews AFB. Spare was shot, I was broke, so I drove the remaining 15 miles on I66 with a treadless balloon for a back tire. ?  

• Haha 1

When I purchased this car it was a two owner. The first a little old lady in New Jersey who only drove it to church and to the doctor, a total of some 13,000 miles. The second a fireman in Bayonne NJ who bought it from the little old lady, turned around and put it on eBay with a Buy it Now. When I arrived in Bayonne to pick the car up, I raised the hood and literally got sick to my stomach at what I saw. The gentlemans son had painted the engine and inner fenders in the correct colors but with a paint brush. I went ahead and followed through with the purchase of the otherwise unmolested, immaculate and beautiful 13,000 mile '54 Roadmaster. I drove it around and took it to a couple of shows over the next couple of years but never opened the hood for viewing. I finally made to the decision to tear the front clip off and strip and paint all the poorly painted parts. I got to the point of pulling the engine for repainting when I got distracted by a number of things including purchases of other cars and building the farm and not to mention an ever increasing stressful job. So tha's my story of why the car is in the condition that it is currently in and I'm stickin to it.:D

So basically Matt just bought a full size model that needs putting together.

IMG_2920.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG

IMG_2940.JPG

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3770.JPG

IMG_2819.JPG

IMG_2773.JPG

IMG_2802.JPG

Note that all the undercoating you see here is the original

IMG_2804.JPG

IMG_2806.JPG

IMG_2810.JPG