1930 Lasalle Coupe - weird questions

Piotr MR

Hello,

I'm still restoring my 1930 Lasalle Rumble Seat Coupe. Took a while ( I mean - few years), because it was really a lot of work to do.

Complete body work repairs, an engine was stuck, putrid (does this word still exist?) interior etc. etc.  

But right now I'm close to finish this project (at last...) and I realised that during one of the removals of my car - from one craftsman to another - I lost two elements from the interior.

This is my fault that I did not make a pictures, but well ... I did not think that I can ever need them, because there were completelly rotten ...

One, it was a floor mat. For me looks like it was made of asphalf. When I took  even a small piece it crumbled in hands into hundreds of pieces. But this was original mat with some symbols on it. Cadillac's or Lasalle's ?     I did not remember. For me it was more like a symbolic lilly flowers. Have you ever seen something like this?   

Second, it was a rear window sheer curtains. This curtain was coiled on the wooden roll just above the rear window. And as I remember there were also some symbols on it. I can not forgive myself that I did not make a picture.

Do you know any other Cadillac/Lasalle from these years with such furnishings ? Do you know, where can I have look how does it look ? Have you any idea where can I order a replacements ?

Thank you in advance

Piotr

• 2 weeks later...

Every 1930 Cadillac and Lasalle I have seen has had carpets (and for that matter 1928, 1929, and 1931) - I wonder if someone put a rubber mat in it when the carpets went bad.    Under the carpets was a horsehair mat with a leatherette/vinyl covering on its topside (snapped to the floor and the carpets snapped to the floor too). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Shaun,

Thanks for the picture. Yes, this is indeed very similar to the rear curtain I had in mine Lasalle Coupe 1930.

Now, it's much easier to look for a substitute.

John,

Thank you for the information. I'm aware about the carpets and rubber matt. But do you ever seen any kind of patterns on it ? Cadillac's or Lasalle's marks ?  Or just an "universal" one as on the curtain ?

Fellows, I really appreciate your assistance in that matter.

BTW - here are the pictures how looks this Lasalle when this car arrive from the USA in 2014 and how does it looks now.

Piotr  

20171227_114948.jpg

Lasalle 2014-01-10.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If my memory is working the rubber matting with the French FdL flower, Mr. LaSalle was French, was used on the firewall under the dash as a mat for sound and heat exclusion from the engine compartment. By 1930 it may have become a floor covering with the flower fleur. Do a search on the CLC site. It seems to me someone had something like this reproduced a few years ago.

Jim43

The red interior in the 30 Roadster is pretty correct, but not the cut out for the starter (the end of the starter pedal actually unscrews off to get the carpet in and out).  The two sedan pictures are of a friends unrestored 30 (sold), but just barely gives you a glimpse of around the steering column and the starter pedal (as well as heal pad). 

So here is how I have seen a rubber mat reproduced.  Thye cut a rubber mat to fit the car.  Then, they cut the pattern material to duplicate.  Then, they trimmed the border off of the pattern material.  Then, they cut another piece of rubber to make the border.  And, finally they glued the three pieces together - looked like a one piece molded rubber mat.

Personally, I would install Wilton Wool Carpet. 

John, 

This is exactly what I was looking for ! 

My 1930 Lasalle - barn find, or more correctly  "southern CA's orchard find" - was seating untouched since 1931 or 1932 and had exactly the same floor mat as seen on below's picture. This mat had the same pattern. 

This was installed on the floor in the cabin's interior and on the golf bag storage.  

Is this possible that you can send me a closer look on it? 

Thanks 

Piotr

31LaSalle259.jpg.d3f413da5a669388620fbbbe8dea36aa.jpg

5 hours ago, Piotr M said:

John, 

This is exactly what I was looking for ! 

My 1930 Lasalle - barn find, or more correctly  "southern CA's orchard find" - was seating untouched since 1931 or 1932 and had exactly the same floor mat as seen on below's picture. This mat had the same pattern. 

This was installed on the floor in the cabin's interior and on the golf bag storage.  

Is this possible that you can send me a closer look on it? 

Thanks 

Piotr

31LaSalle259.jpg.d3f413da5a669388620fbbbe8dea36aa.jpg

http://owlshead.org/gallery3/index.php/35th-Annual-New-England-Auto-Auction/1931-LaSalle-345A-Roadster?page=1