Carburetor Heat Shield/Gasket Question

Lisa P

I have looked in my shop and Vauxhall manual to find a diagram for the carburetor and heat shield mounting, but have not found anything.  At first glance, it would seem apparent that there may only be one way to mount these, but I would still feel better if I knew what order you all have had success with.  In other terms, does the order go: manifold, thick gasket, heatshield, base gasket, then carburetor?  It appears I may have a vacuum leak that I am trying to track down.  Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Those thick manifold to carb gaskets I don't think are available any longer.  They are just there to insulate the carb from manifold heat so stacking thin gaskets are fine.  The only thing to watch for is when stacking the thin gaskets the overall needs to stay the same.  If it is not the same height the air cleaner bracket that goes from the air cleaner to the head will be off kilter.

• Like 1

For the two barrel carburetor it is very easy to make a micarta spacer any thickness you want. I have made them for Quadrajet four barrel carburetors up to one inch thick, so a simple two barrel would be very easy. Two gaskets on each end and two on the deflector and your in business. Use the gaskets as a template. Don't forget to use the metal heat shield which goes in-between as well which deflects heat away from the carburetor. 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 2