65 Transmission control switch

psychostang

Well since my trans control switch is not hooked up, and I wasn't sure how it worked, I decided to take mine apart. 

It seems to be a real simple sliding switch.  I had a lot of old grease and crud on the connections, so I cleaned with brake clean and then used scotchbrite pad to clean all contacts.  Put some dielectric grease on and closed up. 

It really helped me understand how the switch works.  It seems that switch pitch engages well before downshift does, and stays engaged after downshift is dis-engaged.

IMG_20181103_211414 (2).jpg

IMG_20181103_215812 (2).jpg

IMG_20181103_215857 (2).jpg

IMG_20181103_215934 (2).jpg

There's one piece that I forgot to photograph.  There is a metal base with a ramp at the end, which sits down inside the case.  The plastic housing sits on that, with the end of the rod, and roller underneath.  The little spring sits in the hole, with the tri-point contact piece on top.  

Edited by psychostang (see edit history)

I completely understand.  Unfortunately I have lots of work before this car is drive-able.  I still have to reinstall the wire for the downshift, which broke off.  Then see how it runs down to the trans.  

If when you have a moment, would you mind taking a pic of your installation, so I can use it as a reference?  

I dont think my setup is a good representation for u. Unless u are going with EFI like me. I had to fab up a throttle bracket & I am not a fab guy. Many attempts. Finally got it tho. 

I don’t think a stock setup sits at this angle. I believe they sit parallel to the valve covers. Maybe someone else can reply with a stock pic

17673B05-2390-4EEA-A64B-62A05ABD1A1A.thumb.jpeg.5ab4f4fbfd288769c60bce92d2858966.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...