Sign in to follow this  
FLYER15015

How many ?

Hi guys and gals,

Having just acquired a '31 Chrysler Imperial, I see a tag on the firewall that says "body number 69".

My question to those more learned than me is ;  69 out of how many ?

My title that came with the car says the vin is "CG1960" which is stamped on the block.

Can that really be the vin # ?

Being new to classic Chryslers, I am trying to learn as much as I can about the history of our new baby.

She did come from California, I think in the San Jose area.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike in Colorado

1931_chrysler_imperial_4_door_sedan_limousine_5eb80cf29b.jpg

Edited by FLYER15015
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Keiser 31,

Thank you so much for this info.

I think this narrows it down to the Standard Factory CG 4 door sedan or limo as she has the "jump seats" in the rear.

So it is either 403 or 271.

What are the numbers ahead of the build quantities ?

Are they  "weights" ? I'm told ours weighs real close to 5K #.

1931_chrysler_imperial_4_door_sedan_limousine_bbd7442ba3.jpg

Edited by FLYER15015
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

These early Imperial sedans are an absolute favorite of mine. How does it drive Mike? Did the car come with any history?

Greg

There were 3 specific #'s used to identify this era Chrysler, (1) a serial # (our modern equivalent of a VIN number), (2) an Engine&Chassis number (usually matched), and (3) a body number.

(1)There should be a serial number plate riveted to passenger front door post, with a number ranging from 7800001-7803243 (assuming car was built in USA, and based on pre '34 Master Parts List data). If by chance it was a Canadian assembled model, Ser.# would range between 7980001-7980024. This plate was only riveted in place after car was fully assembled and ready to roll off assembly line. My car's reads 79800125 (Canadian)

(2)The Engine stamping usually matched the chassis stamping, which typically was located on side of frame near front driver-side spring shackle. Both #'s were hand stamped in place when engine and chassis were mated as a "rolling chassis" and before a body was added.

(3)The Body number was a plate riveted to the firewall at the stamping factory, and was typically CGxxxx, plus any special further designation. For example my Chrysler's firewall has a plate CD1457 R, indicating a 1931 CD model, 1,457th body, and R for Roadster.

I would think most of these cars would have been sold and registered initially by serial# which was permanently car specific. Since engines could be replaced, using that number for registration would not be normal, and finding the chassis # on a used frame would be equally challenging. 

Did this car have a CG-stamped 385 cui engine? I recollect it was initially advertised with an engine that looked very much like a later 323 cui?

7 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

Keiser 31,

Thank you so mush for this info.

I think this narrows it down to the Standard Factory CG 4 door sedan or limo as she has the "jump seats" in the rear.

So it is either 403 or 271.

What are the numbers ahead of the build quantities ?

Are they  "weights" ? I'm told ours weighs real close to 5K #.

1931_chrysler_imperial_4_door_sedan_limousine_bbd7442ba3.jpg

First column is production model letters. second column is body style, third column is price, fourth is weight and fifth is production numbers.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

If no glass between the driver and passengers, it is the 7 passenger sedan. The ones with the glass divider are the limos.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, Narve N said:

Did this car have a CG-stamped 385 cui engine? I recollect it was initially advertised with an engine that looked very much like a later 323 cui?

Yes, from the limited research I've done she seems to have a '35 engine in her.

Delco distributor sticking out the drivers side of the block with no vacuum advance and a Stromberg carb on a home made adapter / spacer, and the exhaust manifold below the intake runners.

Somebody brazed a lamp base to the air cleaner so it would fit on the carb. Smart thinking.............

She was supposedly "restored" in 1990 in California.

My opinion = a very amateur job, except for the upholstery, which was done quite well. Paint and body work leave a LOT to be desired !

Maybe that's why Wayne C. passed on her. = too much work.

But here in the Colorado mountains, she's a big fish in a small pond, and a lot of fun to drive.

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1