Adam's detail spray?

Bdad

There's a video on YouTube comparing Adams to Merguires.  The guy doing the comparison thinks the Merguires is better.  It's also about 75% as expensive and you can get it anywhere. The only place I could find Adams was through the Adams website and eBay. 

Is your new mechanic by and chance an Adams dealer?  ?  Might be an alternative motivation.  

By some of each and tell us what you think.

8 hours ago, RivNut said:

There's a video on YouTube comparing Adams to Merguires.  The guy doing the comparison thinks the Merguires is better.  It's also about 75% as expensive and you can get it anywhere. The only place I could find Adams was through the Adams website and eBay. 

Is your new mechanic by and chance an Adams dealer?  ?  Might be an alternative motivation.  

By some of each and tell us what you think.

My mechanic showed me pics of about 6 cars that he's restored. He had just received 2 gallons of Adams from Amazon. He said that the local show he goes to is where he usually gets it but the vendor wasn't there. He says he dampens the car, sprays and then uses a micro fiber towel to wipe the car down and then changes to another towel to finish. Claims it does a super job. He doesn't re-sell it. I'll look for the Meguires as well. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Bdad said:

My mechanic showed me pics of about 6 cars that he's restored. He had just received 2 gallons of Adams from Amazon. He said that the local show he goes to is where he usually gets it but the vendor wasn't there. He says he dampens the car, sprays and then uses a micro fiber towel to wipe the car down and then changes to another towel to finish. Claims it does a super job. He doesn't re-sell it. I'll look for the Meguires as well. Thanks.

I think you'll be happy with the Meguires or any of the other products that Ship mentions.  I used the Meguires on my 90 last summer and brought home the Best in Class award that the last ROA event.  (It's actually my wife's car)  When a clean rag will slide off the hood, you've got a good product.

I have some Adam's Interior Detailer that I bought through a recommendation on another forum. It seems fine. There are three spray bottles that I have at hand in the garage right now; Meguiars, Mothers, and something I can't remember. They all came from Walmart and all do the job.

The test I like to do is putting my hand in a plastic baggie and rubbing the surface. It is a good one. When I feel ambitious I use the baggie and do a little clay barring. I haven't used a bucket and hose in over 10 years, just the detailer most of the time for me.

Bdad (true name unknown)

Before going nuts with the spray detailer, do as Bernie does.  Get a clay bar and go over the paint.

When I prepped the paint on my 90 for the Riviera show last June, I went over it with a clay bar. As a lubricant for the clay bar, I used the Meguires spray detailer.  What I didn't do but should have is use something like Meguires Ultimate Polish and a DA applicator, and remove any light scratches before applying the wax.

Now that the clay bar has cleaned the paint cleaned of contaminants, the stuff like common dirt that doesn't wash off, you can apply a coat of wax to the surface.  Choice of wax is another can of worms to be opened.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Bdad (true name unknown)

Before going nuts with the spray detailer, do as Bernie does.  Get a clay bar and go over the paint.

When I prepped the paint on my 90 for the Riviera show last June, I went over it with a clay bar. As a lubricant for the clay bar, I used the Meguires spray detailer.  What I didn't do but should have is use something like Meguires Ultimate Polish and a DA applicator, and remove any light scratches before applying the wax.

Now that the clay bar has cleaned the paint cleaned of contaminants, the stuff like common dirt that doesn't wash off, you can apply a coat of wax to the surface.  Choice of wax is another can of worms to be opened.

Bdad = Dick (Richard). Thanks for the comments

I am big fan of Griot's Garage products. For one, it's a local company, but also the stuff they make is great. A little pricey, compared to what you might find on the shelf at O'reillys, but I have bought all kinds of different things from them. I have used their Speed Shine for probably 20 years! Their polishes are really nice, they make an all-in-one compound I have used a few times now.

On 10/30/2018 at 10:16 PM, Bdad said:

Anyone with experience using Adam's detail spray and/or other Adam's products? My new mechanic for the my '63 Riv says he loves the products.

I've used the Adams Spray Detailer and it works very well.  It has a nice fragrance, despite the strange pinky color of the liquid itself.   This product, and others of its type, which are probably just as good, are intended to be the final step to giving your car that smooth, wet look to help your paint 'pop' at a show.  Before using the spray detailer have your car cleaned and waxed.  I use Zaino liquid wax.  

The Adams line is sold by distributors (and eBay?), not in retail stores.  Not cheap, but it is a good product.

My 2.5 cents worth.

• 1 month later...