Can anyone identify this B&B carb marked with Chry Corp

Narve N

One of my Series 65s came with this Ball & Ball Carb "mfg for Chrysler Corp". Although it works with the Series 65, it is not correct for the car (should be a Stromberg which I do not have). Anyone know what models that might have originally have had this carb? It looks like a Carter BB-1, so I guess it is what Carter bought from Ball & Ball

CR 1808 26 Forgassar-arbeid (1).jpg

Carter produced 68 different BB updraft carburetors, of which several were for Chrysler Corporation.

Once the tag is removed, very difficult (and expensive) but not impossible to identify.

Positive identification requires total disassembly of the carburetor, and comparison of each component to bills-of-material, until all but one are eliminated.

Jon.

Externally it looks like the BB on my 1932 Dodge Brothers sedan.  Mine is really for a 32 DeSoto, but the two motors are almost identical and it works fine on my car.  As Carbking says, without the tag, you just can't tell.

The carb is almost identical to the Carter BB1 I have on another car, however the name Carter is nowhere to be found on it. When checking the official listings for Chrysler it appears that Series 72 and 75 were listed with Ball & Ball carbs while there are no mentioning of Ball & Ball from 1930 onwards. The I found this thread response from 2015 which sort of explains the situation:

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/252282-the-carter-bb-1-carburetor-information/

"Excellent information. But I believe the carburetor was not designed by Carter. Carter took control of Ball & Ball Carburetors in 1929 and continued to produce the Ball & Ball basic designs of which the BB1 is one. Carter made some improvements to design and patented the new design in 1930. There are examples of the B&B1 dated as early as 1928. "

I now am convinced that the carb I have is from either a Series 72 or a Series 75.

• Like 1

I would like to clarify something that was posted to which I have no proof:

Carter DID purchase the rights to use the Ball and Ball designs. Ball and Ball were a father and son, not the "Ball Brothers" as I have seen elsewhere or "pump design using two ball bearings" as I have also seen.

Carter started producing the Ball and Ball updraft carburetor in 1932 (I have complete access to the Carter carburetor applications from about 1920 forward). This includes experimental, production, racing, and those that samples were sent for approval to the customer, rejected, and cancelled.

Ball and Ball carburetors WERE used on a number of Chrysler applications prior to 1932. HOWEVER, I HAVE NO RECORD THAT THE MODEL PRODUCED BY CARTER WAS EVER USED BY BALL AND BALL.

Not saying it did not happen, but I have no proof.

The Chrysler model 72 used the Penberthy Ball & Ball (Penberthy was the manufacturer of the Ball & Ball designs prior to Carter) model SV-37. The Chrysler model 75 used the Penberthy model DB-20. The Chrysler model 50 used a Penberthy model S-1. All were zinc alloy carburetors, resembled the Carter versions only in that all are updraft, and like most zinc alloy of the time, have cracked into dust. In 50 years of playing with carbs, I have yet to see a serviceable S-1, SV-37, or even a complete DB-20. The Chrysler model 70 used a Penberthy model SV-26. Memory fails, but I think a combination of brass and zinc alloy. Again, NONE of these models resemble the Carter BB updraft.

I have examples of all the these Penberthys, but they are useful only for parts if someone wanted to cast new castings. None of them are serviceable using the original castings.

The Chrysler model 65, according to my records, used a Stromberg type U-2. Stromberg actually made three different models of the U-2 in dozens of variations. The three different models were: zinc alloy with no economizer, zinc alloy with economizer (Chrysler used this one), and cast iron (primarily used by Franklin).

The good news is the type used by the Chrysler 65 is being reproduced in Australia, IF someone wishes to maintain the vehicle as close to original as possible.

Jon.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, carbking said:

I would like to clarify something that was posted to which I have no proof:

Carter DID purchase the rights to use the Ball and Ball designs. Ball and Ball were a father and son, not the "Ball Brothers" as I have seen elsewhere or "pump design using two ball bearings" as I have also seen.

Carter started producing the Ball and Ball updraft carburetor in 1932 (I have complete access to the Carter carburetor applications from about 1920 forward). This includes experimental, production, racing, and those that samples were sent for approval to the customer, rejected, and cancelled.

Ball and Ball carburetors WERE used on a number of Chrysler applications prior to 1932. HOWEVER, I HAVE NO RECORD THAT THE MODEL PRODUCED BY CARTER WAS EVER USED BY BALL AND BALL.

Not saying it did not happen, but I have no proof.

According to The Birth of Chrysler Corporation and Its Engineering Legacy by Carl Breer, the father/son were F. H. Ball and F. A. Ball. I don't see anywhere in the book what the initials stood for. On page 48 it says:

When F. H. passed away it was continued with F. A. Ball and grandson Tom. Later when F. A. passed on, and Penberty Injector stopped building carburetors, Chrysler Corporation took over the eight patents and we put Tom Ball in charge of carburetor development and design.