52 Buick build (first build)

pappy78

If you can see the trunk latch, you may be able to open it with a long screwdriver or the like.  The later latches had a rectangular notch in the latch shaft; IIRC, you could turn that to release the latch.  Dunno if this latch has that or not, but it may be worth looking into.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pappy78 said:

I sprayed some graphite into the lock and it didn’t help. 

May I ask: But did the new key work the ignition switch?  If so,  then it would be highly unlikely the door or trunk cylinder were different and I suspect they are likely rusted internally.   Not quite sure graphite would free up a stuck or rusted tumbler.  PB Blaster would work on any rust in there.  And at this point you have nothing to lose by trying anything and everything. 

This includes brake cleaner to remove any residues that are gumming up the operation insides followed by a liquid such as PB Blaster to break up any rust bonds there may be,  and even hot transmission fluids dribbled into the key way.  This may take several days of repeated application to free up the internals.

Also, I assume you tried both pushing the key deeper into the locks and or pulling it part way out, just in case the new key is off by a millimeter or two? 

May I ask also, did you sit in the car and try manually locking and unlocking the doors?  And if so, was the operation of the lock very stiff?  Because the key ultimately moves levers inside the latch mechanism,  it could be that the latch is also rusted and needs to be cleaned and lubricated.  Once again this could be done to a satisfactory operational status with brake cleaner, followed by more PB Blaster.

If you are ultimately successful,  be sure to end up removing any heavier oils with some brake cleaner and reusing the graphite as a final lubricant in the key cylinders, and with some white lithium grease in the latch.  Heavier oils will gum this up especially in cold weather.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

He keyed the key from the glovebox lock. I did try pushing it in and pulling it out a little at a time. Good point on the graphite, I’ll give your advice a shot this weekend. The lock is free inside the door, I can lock it and unlock it manually. I’ll have more time next week, if I can’t get it to work I’ll take him the lock off the door. 

On 11/5/2018 at 12:27 PM, old-tank said:

I’m not getting a whole lot of that from friends and family right now."

All I got was questions like:  you paid how much?  where's the barrel of vaseline?

seven years...

66cResto0001.JPG

Don’t get discourage! Been there done that and still doing it... wife will get over it, trust me. I’ll bet a lot of us “cacharreros” (car guys) keep telling the ladies that is just a hobby, that we don’t drink or look for women and after all we are close to home

C128A7F3-F9FC-4BB3-98DD-CDC771DC07D7.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...