52 Buick build (first build)

pappy78

7 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

lol...

My luck would probably go something like this: The wife would sue me, and win a divorce settlement.  Part of the settlement would be having to relinquish the car to her, then she would send it to the crusher.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, pappy78 said:

if she would stop wrecking her cars she would have a nice one

I have a daughter-in-law like that.

My son thought he would put that argument to rest and lease a new Chey.

That didn't last long...

Keep us posted with your progress on the Buick. 

A running engine will spark your interests and help keep you motivated.

Pictures keep us motivated to support your efforts and offer advice.

All the best.

• Like 3

I taught with a young lady who was drop dead gorgeous.  She would drive a really "hot" car but did not abuse it.  Her dad was a gear head and owned a body shop.  I asked her why with such a hot car she never got into it.  She told me that in the past shed had a few accidents.  She got tired of washing body shop dust out of her hair every time she'd bang up a car and her dad would hand her a pair of coveralls and she'd have to do all the body work to straighten out the dents. She would have to do everything but tbe final paint.  She said the worst part was working up to her dad's standards. All the time her car was in the shop, she'd have no other transportation.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

She went from driving a 2012 Mazda 3 hatchback with all the bells and whistles to a 2000 Honda Accord with a 5 speed. It was “my turn” to get a new to me vehicle last year and SHE decided that we didn’t need a car payment I could just put a new engine in my 2001 Dakota, but she didn’t get her hands dirty for her decision.

back to the Buick, i guess a small block Chevy, for cost reasons. We’re going to bring it home Sunday, then start tearing it apart. My goal is to have it driveable in time for the Coker Tire Cruise In this spring. 

Does it still have the original drive train?  If it does, and engine is free, they usually don’t take much to get going again.  An engine swap means front to back, rear end and all. 

Still yet, is your car and you know what is best for your situation.

Good luck and welcome aboard

Matt

Edited by jackofalltrades70 (see edit history)

Look for a 59 - 66 nailhead.  Lots of torque to move that heavy car.  It's narrow and was used in basically the same chassis and body in 53. The 59 - 61 still used the torque tube rear.  Without that, you'll be looking at fabricating a whole new suspension for the rear.  Start ing in 64 the the nailhead was connected to a ST400 - Buick's version of the TH400.  

• Like 1

OKAY!

I have seen much worse come back to life.  jackofalltrades70  comes to mind.    

In post #14 Mark says he has an engine and transmission.  I have a radiator. Parts are available.  Sit back, analyze what you want to accomplish, maybe write yourself an outline.   Perhaps you have done so . Remember, we are here to help. Some will attempt to throw up roadblocks. Some will be most helpful. There will be nuggets you can use. There will be some to filter out.  Good luck!

Are you in TN?

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes, I live just west of Chattanooga. 

thanks for the words of support and encouragement, I’m not getting a whole lot of that from friends and family right now.

The body is actually in pretty good shape but it has been sitting a long time, it’s just going to take some time. I won’t be buying a whole lot for it until after Christmas. 

• Like 1

Amazing job!!!

jackofalltrades and oldtank

ive gotten several how much did you pay for it, yesterday I was told I would die before I finished and my grandkids would have to finish it. 

Its a little overwhelming sitting back and looking at everything. First step is get brakes freed up and decide which power plant to get. 

60EC80CF-80C9-413D-8298-AF70B19BCE43.jpeg

4B108C77-03B5-4F5B-8C68-1930462CC239.jpeg

• Like 3

You would be surprised at what the old straight Eight will do...  A nice running engine, very different from a more modern experience.  If you can get the old mill running without too much work, I would recommend you drive her as is before you make big changes.

That long wheel base and a big heavy engine up front give you a wonderful ridding car.

1 hour ago, Fr. Buick said:

You would be surprised at what the old straight Eight will do...  A nice running engine, very different from a more modern experience.  If you can get the old mill running without too much work, I would recommend you drive her as is before you make big changes.

That long wheel base and a big heavy engine up front give you a wonderful ridding car.

Post #12

Unfortnately no engine, I would prefer the straight 8, I might see if I can find one 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, pappy78 said:

I have a lead on an engine locally,  of all the places it’s my sisters boyfriend.

And we notice this, what is it?

43C04525-4E4E-4DBE-9DFA-CDA7ABE5D47D.jpeg

David Dunbar Buick was of Scotch decent. That supposedly is from the Buick coat of arms.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, pappy78 said:

Are there clips holding the door panels on?

i took the screws out and it feels like it’s still on there pretty tight along the edges.

Nails, actually. Special upholstery nails. One should use a special "fork" to pull them. A lot [  most  ] will pull through the panel    .

Ben

• Like 1

Took the glovebox lock to a locksmith and he made me some keys, but they will not work on the trunk or the doors. I’m going to pull one from the door when I get a chance and take it to him. I did manage to pull the rear seat out and looked into the trunk. Found the missing wheel, the other 3 wheel covers and a valve cover.

Dont see me getting a lot done this week because of work and the cold weather, I don’t like cold weather, but I’m off most of next week and all weekend.