SOLD Dash Plaque From 40th Anniversary Vanderbilt Cup Race

John348

This is the dash plaque that was handed out to participants on October 9, 1954 who participated in the event, Sponsored by the Long Island Old Car Club, which is long gone now. Nice plaque commemorating the event from 1904  $25 domestic shipping is free

Thanks and enjoy PM me if interested

IMG_5276.JPG

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

The Long Island Old Car Club was a chapter of the New York Region of the VMCCA. Austin Clark was very active in that club as was I ( although I wasn't active in it in 1954!) the club would regularly celebrate the anniversary of the Vanderbilt Cup Races and the last time that was done was in 1988 for the 80th anniversary of the 1908 race. We had 80+ pre WWII era vehicles at that celebration ( 1942 was the cut off date to have a car there to participate) and I was a member of the team that helped organize and run it. Over 120 people had lunch at the Main Maid Inn in Jericho long island, NY that day ( Main Maid Inn no longer exists) It was a driving event, we met at the Main Maid Inn then did about a 20-30 mile tour and then came back for lunch. Jerry Helck brought OLD 16 over from NJ for it and it too, did the tour. I ran the event with Walter McCarthy. We were very pleased at the turn out of cars participating. No awards, , just a commemorative plaque .

Walter, Thank you for the history ! I am quite pleased to get this plaque. I am going to install on my 1910 Mitchell.

Did the Franklin poster sell at Hershey?? If not you would be a better man to sell it to a friend  that still collects Franklins! Think it over! Mike

Hey Walt,

Thanks for the information. I found the plaque in a small box of things that my father had. Everything in the box had to do with Austin's Museum, I knew it was neat piece and am glad to move it on to good use!

Mike sent you a PM,  will go out in the mail tomorrow