Hood latch leather ring

Hubert_25-25

Larry DiBarry mentioned that there was a  leather ring inside the hood latch mechanism.   My assumption is that this was under the spring and at the bottom of the hood latch outer barrel.   I would think this would be at location B.  The function being to keep a little grease or oil in the hood latch mechanism.  There is a little hole that could be used to add a little oil near the top of the outer barrel.  I have also used this hole to hold the barrel as it makes it easier to remove the top if you put something in the hole like a nail or wire.  That says the ID of the leather is the nickel plated pin size, and the OD is the inside diameter of the latch barrel.  I am asking here so that others may need to know about this as well.    Do I have this correct?  Thank you.    Hugh

981738553_LeatherOringinhoodlatchmechanism.thumb.JPG.ee823dc27deb3b10f0aeb256e492c9b3.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

Thanks for the hint as I just re-built my hood latches and think, even if not in the parts book, it's a good idea to keep the lubrication contained.

I did my own Nickle plating of the head and pin and am happy with the result. (As a DIY project it's an easy one.) 

DSC05817.JPG

• Like 2

Hugh,

I didn’t use a kit. That’s the neat thing about this DIY process. All you need is vinegar, a tab. of salt, 2- 99% nickel welding rods and a small voltage source.

Put about a quart of vinegar and a table spoon of salt in a glass or plastic whatever. The 2 nickel rods (minus their flux) are suspended in the mixture and hooked up to an electric DC charge (I used a 12v battery). When the liquid turns a fairly dark emerald green you’re ready for plating.

For the best plating result use a smaller voltage source (I used a 5v plug in phone charger). The positive wire is hooked to the nickel rod and the negative to the part to be plated. You should see bubbles on the part which means it is working.  It’s your choice on how long you leave it in but it doesn’t take long.  Also it works better if the solution is warm. And, this is a big and the plating will not hide flaws or defects so the better the part is before plating the better it looks after.

After plating the part needs polishing.

The whole thing cost me a couple of bucks for vinegar and a couple of bucks for nickel rods and so far if it doesn’t move I’ve plated it. (The wife is still unscathed).

The pictures aren't that great. 

DSC05826.jpg

DSC05827.jpg

DSC05823.jpg

DSC05829.jpg

• Like 2

Leif, 

In the parts books that I have looked in, they only list it as a "hood fastener" assembly.  Even the internal spring is not called out.  I suppose for longevity a piece of rubber could be used, or the right size O ring and that would last a long time.  Hugh

• Like 2