Hershey 2019

Dodge Dee 2

I live in London , United Kingdon and would like to plan a trip to Hershey next year ,2019 . I would really appreciate any advice . My questions may sound a bit basic  but its naturally a big trip for me and want to make the best  of it and maybe pick up some parts for my 36  Dodge 

So questions are

When to arrive ? -( day before it starts ? ) 

What are the hotel options - are there hotels nearby with shuttle buses or do you need a car to get to the show ground  ?

Is it realistic picking up a rental car in New York and driving  to Hershey - or Catching  a train or bus  ( I will be flying into NYC )  

Whats the best way to plan my visit with so much going on every day 

All suggestions welcome  

Farrol

The rental car from NYC would be best. If you could get a flight to Newark rather than NYC JFK you will be about an hour closer to Hershey and avoid the NYC Metro Traffic. I live about 25 east of JFK and have to pass through the city to get to Hershey, and at any time of day on any day the drive from JFK to New Jersey can take anywhere from 35 minutes to 2 hours to go only 25 miles. Newark International is right on the way to Hershey. 

We stay in Harrisburg PA about 12 miles away, it works for us but there are many many hotels to choose from. Tuesday is the set-up day, but by noon time  many of the vendors are open for business, by Friday afternoon many of the vendors that are far from the show field are packing up.. The show is Saturday  and many of the vendors close to the show field are still open until early afternoon,  I would plan on seeing the show and arriving early to watch the cars enter the show field, as well as watch them exit after 3 PM'

Get a program and locate the vendors that carry the parts you might be looking for, make sure you have some good shoes to walk in and most importantly have fun 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Another option is to take the passenger train Amtrak from NY to the Hershey area.  The train has stops in Philadelphia, Lancaster and Harrisburg which are all cities closer to Hershey than New York city.  You could rent a car in one of those cities to reduce your drive time (remember we drive on the proper side of the road?).   You would probably want your own transportation at Hershey rather than depending on hotel shuttles.  There are lots of hotels in the area but they can fill up fast.  Hershey is out in the countryside so public transportation options are limited compared to what you might have in Europe.  And prepare for some rain, it always seems to rain at least one day!

John & Terry 

Useful and helpful advice advice . It sounds like from your post John that Saturday is when the show  cars drive / parade along a route for everyone to view . Can these cars be viewed before Saturday around the venue .  ?? 

Is there a mass exodus on Saturday with big traffic jams to get out  ? Do most people then start heading home late Saturday  afternoon ?

Are the car makes grouped together so for Dodge would all Dodges be in the same  area  and for spare parts / flee market are they grouped my car make ?

Thanks for you time in responding  my numerous questions 

Farrol

There are cars everywhere during the week, some for sale, some as projects and some that will be in the show.  There is a huge cars for sale area too.  On Saturday morning, very early, all the cars will be driven on to the show field.  This is quite a sight to behold.  Show cars are segregated, typically by era and somewhat by make.  For example, In an area of 1940s cars you will find a mix of auto manufacturers from that timeframe.  It’s a wonderful event, you will enjoy it!

54 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Another option is to take the passenger train Amtrak from NY to the Hershey area.  The train has stops in Philadelphia, Lancaster and Harrisburg which are all cities closer to Hershey than New York city.  You could rent a car in one of those cities to reduce your drive time (remember we drive on the proper side of the road?).   You would probably want your own transportation at Hershey rather than depending on hotel shuttles.  There are lots of hotels in the area but they can fill up fast.  Hershey is out in the countryside so public transportation options are limited compared to what you might have in Europe.  And prepare for some rain, it always seems to rain at least one day!

Terry,

The train can works out as well, but he will still need a car when at Hershey. To get to Penn Station from JFK is going to take an 1 1/2 and still will have to wait for the train. If he flies into  to Newark He could be in Harrisburg in 3 Hours after he picks up the car. I -78 is right there. 

22 minutes ago, Dodge Dee 2 said:

John & Terry 

Useful and helpful advice advice . It sounds like from your post John that Saturday is when the show  cars drive / parade along a route for everyone to view . Can these cars be viewed before Saturday around the venue .  ?? 

Is there a mass exodus on Saturday with big traffic jams to get out  ? Do most people then start heading home late Saturday  afternoon ?

Are the car makes grouped together so for Dodge would all Dodges be in the same  area  and for spare parts / flee market are they grouped my car make ?

Thanks for you time in responding  my numerous questions 

Farrol

Farrol,

You will not have an opportunity to see the show cars until Saturday. The only traffic jam is the show cars getting off the show field. I would say that the majority of people are gone by Saturday afternoon, a few thousand die hards stay to the end. The cars in the show are grouped by classes, this pretty much by years of manufacturer.  Like i recommended in my first post, get a program the vendors are scattered, so you have to go looking

• Like 1

John, you have better knowledge about the train station than I do as I only rode the N.Y. bound train between Lancaster and Phila.  In Phila you can take the local commuter train from the airport to the Amtrak terminal and I thought N.Y. airport might have a similar setup. I was trying to limit the driving time for Farrol as he will have to drive on the “wrong” side of the road compared to London.  I have never frown from Newark, just JFK or Phila for international.

As John said, a printed show program is key to finding your way around.  Many auto groups like the Walter P Chrysler club, the Dodge Brothers club and other similar groups will be there too.  It’s sensory overload for old car fans, especially if it’s your first trip!

• Like 1

Farrol,

The cars in the show are all around Hershey before Saturday so not in the same place and some just driven in or trailered for the day. There is over 9000 10x30 foot swap meet spots on over 100 acres and nothing organized. Each vendor which may have more than one space is listed in the program with a specialty listed if they have one. Most of the vendors are in the hobby like you and only vend in Hershey like me to sell extra parts for cars we have or had or sell for others unable to come. While, the tire, and several professional vendors with important reproduction parts are there for business, most of us come to have fun and help others with their restorations. I come in on Tuesday around noon, set up in the afternoon and pack up Friday late afternoon. I go to the show early in the morning to watch the cars come in and leave about 1PM on Saturday and not a lot of traffic. Keep mind the weather in Hershey in October can be very different from day to day. This year it was hot and humid(Humid being unusual this time of year) Tuesday and Wednesday, Rain on Thursday and cold but Sunny on Friday, little rain in the morning Saturday but cold and sunny later. Many years ago it even snowed a little bit. The point is you have to be prepared for anything and bring a rain suit each day from your hotel as you will not want to go back and forth. Best to start looking for a place to stay now. While I stay in my RV in the Swap meet area, I hear hotels are very expensive near Hershey, less when you get 30 min away. Lots of Bed and Breakfasts spots along with AIRBNB. I am sure others  can chime in more on that topic. 

Tom

• Like 3

Farrol

Very sound advice from John and Terry, I have been attending Hershey for 53 years and everything they state makes perfect sense. Small asides - wear very comfortable walking shoes, and bring a pair that are waterproof as well! A friend from Ilford, Essex usually attends every year , talk to Colin Spong if you know him. He is an American car enthusiast and owner. Save up as much money as you can for the trip next year, you will always see something you did not expect and want to have the extra cash!  Enjoy life while you can and have your health, Hershey is the Greatest Show on Earth, always has been , all due to the magnificent efforts of the AACA and the Hershey Region. You may read a lot of criticism here about what people think should be changed or made right in their estimation, but it doesn't stop them from coming /attending each year.

Walt G.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

John, you have better knowledge about the train station than I do as I only rode the N.Y. bound train between Lancaster and Phila.  In Phila you can take the local commuter train from the airport to the Amtrak terminal and I thought N.Y. airport might have a similar setup. I was trying to limit the driving time for Farrol as he will have to drive on the “wrong” side of the road compared to London.  I have never frown from Newark, just JFK or Phila for international.

As John said, a printed show program is key to finding your way around.  Many auto groups like the Walter P Chrysler club, the Dodge Brothers club and other similar groups will be there too.  It’s sensory overload for old car fans, especially if it’s your first trip!

Hey Terry, The problem with JFK to get to AMTRAC is that it involves a train to a train to train in a major station in NYC there are a lot of variables. Not knowing where he is going will only compound those variables.Having commuted to NYC every day for 40 years on one of those trains that Farrol would have to take, can be a roll of the dice, especially trying to get on a commuter rail line with luggage for about a 20 minute ride to NYC. The Long Island Railroad can be a problem just to get on a train at that station where Farrol would have to get on. Most of the trains are packed at that point,  and he will need transportation once he gets to Hershey. I never had flown to Newark, but I know it is alongside of I-78 and is pretty much a straight 150 or so mile drive to Hershey.  

This year I met a young man from the Netherlands at my hotel who was here in the states on business in Atlanta. He grabbed a flight to Harrisburg Friday night. It was pretty obvious that I was heading over to the show. He asked me how close the show field was to the hotel and i told him about 12 miles, I saw the look of frustration in his face and gave him a ride over in my Cosworth. I told him to contact me around 4-5 and I would meet him and give him a ride back to the hotel. When he called me I had forgotten all about him and I was just about to order a "decompression cocktail" at the hotel bar when he called me. So I went back to pick him up, I made another new friend!  That is what it is ALL ABOUT 

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Hershey is the Greatest Show on Earth, always has been , all due to the magnificent efforts of the AACA and the Hershey Region. You may read a lot of criticism here about what people think should be changed or made right in their estimation, but it doesn't stop them from coming /attending each year.

Walt G.

Well said Walt!

This year there was a Maxwell Touring car for sale by the vendor next to me and it went to London

Farrol, 

I would also suggest starting your walk of Hershey on the fields furthest to the east, they tend to start breaking down Friday, not much foot traffic there after lunch on Friday so most of the vendors pack up. I will PM you our space numbers so please stop by for a beverage, many people just leave their treasures at our spaces so they don't have to carry them around all day

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Here's a note on the motels, Farrol:

There are many motels in the vicinity of Hershey

and beyond.  They range from interesting independent

small one-story motels from the 1950's, to multi-story

chain motels that are found nationwide.

"Hotels" are not true hotels as you may know them,

with doormen, bellboys, and concierges,

but just larger multi-story motels with inside corridors.

The only true hotel is the Hotel Hershey, which is probably

as close as you could possibly be to the Hershey event: 

It is historic, beautiful, rather glamorous, and likely expensive

during Hershey week.

Though I live close by, I understand that the closest motels

charge much higher rates during the high demand of the

Hershey event.  Also, they fill up fast, so it's not unusual to

make reservations a year in advance.  The good news is that

other towns, such as Mechanicsburg, Camp Hill, and Carlisle

(25 to 45 minutes away) have plenty of nice motels too and

will probably be reasonably priced.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, John348 said:

This year I met a young man from the Netherlands at my hotel who was here in the states on business in Atlanta. He grabbed a flight to Harrisburg Friday night....

That's another alternative to save some driving:

Get a flight that connects to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

(airport symbol MDT), and rent a car in Harrisburg.

Harrisburg is a regional airport, quite close to Hershey.

However, there aren't that many flights that connect to

Harrisburg, and there may not be any direct flights to

Harrisburg from the New York/ New Jersey metropolitan area;

but it's worth checking.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:57 PM, Dodge Dee 2 said:

Thanks everyone for your excellent tips and advice . I am ready to start booking and looking forward to my  1st Hershey . 

I'm sure there are leftover programs from this years meet, get one so you have an overview of what the field layout is. Renting a car would be best from whatever airport you decide to use. I'd plan on arriving on Tuesday just so you can experience the full effect of the meet, I always enjoy meeting people from all over the world. If you plan on buying large items that won't fit on carry on, make friends with someone can  box and ship them for you after the meet is over. This site tends to be lacking in photos, so check out the coverage on the HAMB website. 2019 will my 50th Hershey in a row, please stop by and say hello. Bob 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bob has the best idea, get a program from this year and look it over so it can give you an idea of who, what , where.

Next year post here about a month or more before Hershey what you seek for your Dodge and ask vendors who may have this to send you a note with photos and they can bring the part for you.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Hotel Hershey is literally across the road from the show and they are more than happy to drive you and pick you up when and wherever. They have picked up members of our party at the train station before and always take us to and fro the Hershey Lodge nightly to see the auction vehicles. Naturally yes, it isn't cheap but for slightly more than the cost of the lodge you get way better accommodations, access to the best meals in town (with seating you don't have to wait in a line for!) and a 2 minute ride to the show. 

• Like 2