'63 Riv Sun Visor not staying up

Bdad

The passenger side sun visor won't stay "up" out out of the way. It wants to drift back down. I removed the bracket from the headliner and then pulled the metal rod out of the visor. There was duct tape wrapped around the rod (which I removed).

Anyone dealt with this type of issue and found a solution? Is there some sort of insert that goes over the rod or into the visor? I see this type: https://www.ebay.com/itm/62-63-64-65-66-Buick-LeSabre-Wildcat-Electra-Riviera-Sun-Visor-Tip-Bushing-Kit-/232438552664?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

I don't think I need the pin part but the bushing sleeve?

Appreciate any experience and suggestions.

Should the rod be unmovable in the visor and rotate in the bracket or should it be unmovable in the bracket and rotate in the visor?

When I look at the drivers side (which does work) it appears the rod is unmovable in the visor and rotates in the bracket.

63_Riv_Passenger_Visor_Bracket.jpg

Edited by Bdad (see edit history)

You probably need the plastic sleeve that goes on the rod. CARS and others carry them, or you can get them from a parts house, I think. It is even still a good GM number, but if a dealer has to order them, they only come in a quantity unit pack of 20. Got mine from CARS, and bought an NOS support for my 65 to replace my broken one. My rod stayed in the visor, and the bushing goes in the support where the rod slides in. Pretty tight going back in with the rod and visor, but I removed the set screw from the support, and with advice from Seafoam, I pried it wider as gently as I could. Eventually, I worked it back on, and tightened the set screw. Worked perfectly, no more dropping visor, and dI was able to put my vanity mirror back on.

35 minutes ago, Bdad said:

I got the sleeves but after I put the sleeve in the bracket the rod won't slide in. I see replacement brackets at Cars for $50/pr. Any other sources that are less expensive?

Pry open the bracket with a couple of flat blade screwdrivers to open up more space...but be careful! The bracket will only "give" so far before it cracks.

Buick changed the style of the sun visor brackets during the `64 model year so you have an alternative. The second version of the bracket is much more attractive IMO. I have plenty of the 2nd design brackets if needed but $50 for a PAIR of brand new die cast brackets seems like a pretty good deal to me? ??

Tom

• Like 1