1930 paint scheme

SDLARS

I keep going back and forth on one item of the car's paint scheme. Some renditions and photos show the first "course", I'll call it, around the side windows painted black while other illustrations don't.  It would be a lot easier painting if it's a no.  ☺️I'm getting ready to put some color on the car and that would be the first item if it is supposed to be so.

20180824_085617.jpg

I think the area you are talking about is called the reveal.  I have attached a photo of my 1932 Sport Coupe showing the reveal being painted the body color (Antibes Blue).  If you check the paint specs on the Auto Color Library you will see that the ‘32 specs show a separate reveal color.  With respect to your ‘30 I would be surprised if they painted the reveal black routinely.  If you look at the color library they do not specify a reveal color for 1930’s.  I have included three photos:

#1 is of my ‘32 showing the reveal painted.

#2 is from the 1930 sales brochure showing a custom sedan.  It does not look to me like the reveal is painted on this car.

#3 is another photo of a custom sedan from the same brochure and it is hard to tell if it is painted or not.

#4 four door sedan from sales brochure clearly showing reveal painted the trim color 

It is my contention that specific color schemes may have had a reveal painted to the belt color but I don’t think there were black ones painted (unless the contrasting color was black).      From photo #3 (which if I remember right was the original color scheme of your car) you could probably paint it black or not.  If you were serious about showing the car I doubt there would be a judge that could say it is right or wrong.  

Tinindian may weigh in on this... I would be interested in hearing his thoughts as he also has quite a library of information both between his ears and in paper form.

7AEEA1DA-DEED-4637-A7FD-ED6AF2893CC0.jpeg

FD8E368D-1A25-4C54-AACD-3D852400E288.jpeg

626E222D-9BDC-4F15-A6A5-157A2FF7E4FF.jpeg

ADFFA1E5-0C61-4391-8865-E7F0E49C47E5.jpeg

Coloured reveals were used in certain colour combinations.  Would need your combination number and/or the correct colour name of your car.

For example: # 2017 was Cumberland Blue with Black reveals and Tacoma Cream striping.

#2018 was St. Louis Blue with Pinehurst Blue reveals and Tacoma Cream striping

#2022  Waverly Maroon was all maroon with an imitation gold stripe.  (Tinindian's colour)

#2028 was all black with a Hampton Green moulding

#2029 was Mountain Brown with Tacoma cream striping on a Rosewood Brown moulding.

#2030 was Promenade Blue with Aurora Red striping on an Ocean Blue moulding.

#2032 was Gray Gull with Dante red striping.

The only black reveals were on a Black, Cumberland Blue, Colorado Blue, Cheshire Blue or Semishone Blue bodies according to Service Bulletin No. 30 dated Feb. 5, 1930

17 hours ago, 32Pontiac6 said:

I think the area you are talking about is called the reveal.  I have attached a photo of my 1932 Sport Coupe showing the reveal being painted the body color (Antibes Blue).  If you check the paint specs on the Auto Color Library you will see that the ‘32 specs show a separate reveal color.  With respect to your ‘30 I would be surprised if they painted the reveal black routinely.  If you look at the color library they do not specify a reveal color for 1930’s.  I have included three photos:

#1 is of my ‘32 showing the reveal painted.

#2 is from the 1930 sales brochure showing a custom sedan.  It does not look to me like the reveal is painted on this car.

#3 is another photo of a custom sedan from the same brochure and it is hard to tell if it is painted or not.

#4 four door sedan from sales brochure clearly showing reveal painted the trim color 

It is my contention that specific color schemes may have had a reveal painted to the belt color but I don’t think there were black ones painted (unless the contrasting color was black).      From photo #3 (which if I remember right was the original color scheme of your car) you could probably paint it black or not.  If you were serious about showing the car I doubt there would be a judge that could say it is right or wrong.  

Tinindian may weigh in on this... I would be interested in hearing his thoughts as he also has quite a library of information both between his ears and in paper form.

7AEEA1DA-DEED-4637-A7FD-ED6AF2893CC0.jpeg

FD8E368D-1A25-4C54-AACD-3D852400E288.jpeg

626E222D-9BDC-4F15-A6A5-157A2FF7E4FF.jpeg

ADFFA1E5-0C61-4391-8865-E7F0E49C47E5.jpeg

Rob, Reid, I was all set to go all blue, Cheshire that is, until I read Tinindian's post. My car is/was 2021, Cheshire blue and black with Tacoma cream striping. Guess that means I SHOULD paint the reveal black. Think about it overnight. I'm about to do the door trim and the reveal would need to be done at the same time.

Thanks for all the information. Rob, that 32 is one BEAUTIFUL car.

Specifically #2021 is  Body and Hood Cheshire Blue  (Duco 2441554)......Body and Hood striping   Tacoma Cream  (Vecro 1299)........Moulding Black (Duco 2442503)

Window Reveals Black.  Wood Wheels Cheshire Blue......Wood Wheel striping  Tacoma Cream.....Fenders and Aprons  Black Enamel....Wire Wheels  Black Enamel.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I have always wondered that as well.  I have never seen a factory close up to tell. 

On further thinking and looking with a magnifying glass I have two books that have period pictures in them. "Images of Motoring General Motors a Photographic History" and "Cars with Personalities"  Both of these show the reveal painted out to the second indent and these photos were taken in 1929/30.  Automobile Quarterly Vol 16 no.8 also shows the wider reveals but these are pictures of restored cars.

Edited by Guest
correction (see edit history)

That's the way I'm going to go, do the first course.  The doors have the black on. Waiting for it to cure a bit more before masking and putting on the blue.  I can't say it's definitely Cheshire blue but it's as close as I could get to the remnants I found.  I'll post a photo when the doors are done. 

Just read your revised post.  Have to think about that for a bit. Paint is on for either way.

Edited by SDLARS
re-read the post I'm responding to. (see edit history)

I tried to recreate my '32 as close to original as possible (reasonable).  The car still had original paint under an overspray when I bought it.  I painted it in the 70's but did not strip to bare metal at that time.  This time I stripped to bare metal.  As I did this I tried to carefully sand through each layer as before I used the chemical strip.  The best I can tell is that, at least on the '32, the reveal was only painted only on the first section.  I can't be 100% sure on this but I am pretty sure this is how it was painted on the '32.  I agree with Reid.  Any further is too much.  Note that this photo was before pen striping.  

Paint-1.thumb.jpg.ed53cb0b10ef1df980ceb178016b423b.jpg

Thanks Rob. I think that's what I'll do. It might be fun to see if anyone ever comments. From all the renditions other than what Reid has found, it looks to me like they have been done like yours. It's not going to be a points car but I do like to stay close to original. 

I think we three agree that the wider band is too much.  Remember the period photos I looked at closely (the only ones with clear shots of the window reveals and were two toned) were only a very few of many that were in the books.  No definitive proof in words.

It is your car so you should do what you like and you have two others who agree with you.

When my Wife gave me a rack and a trunk for my Pontiac fifty years ago I put a well in my right hand fender.  I've never seen a single right hand sidemount on a Pontiac, but we like it and that is all that counts.

Make sure to post pictures.

That fender well might be a good idea for me.  One or more of the previous owners must have had some depth perception issues because both right fenders have experienced some abuse, especially the front. Haven't finished working on it yet. 

Remember that moving a spare from the rear removes 50  pounds and mounting it on a front fender adds 50+ pounds.  Dual mounts would at least balance weight side to side, but of would an extra 50+ pounds again.  If you are doing this you need the well, all the outside chrome pieces, the brace for inside the cowl and the heavy bracket that mounts to the frame under the fender.

It was just a thought when you mentioned yours. Mine came with a trunk that I would like to continue to use but I don't care for the way the spare mounts behind the trunk. It won't be too long now and I'll have to decide. What I'm going to do.