Small leak under the right front part of the car

AZVET

I tried the white paper trick and found that my small leak under the right front part of the car is power steering fluid.  

I did a lube, filter and oil change last night but could not see my leak.  I will put some dye in the system tomorrow and look for it with a black light.

My small grease gun failed me while I was attempting the lube.  Grrrrr :(

Here is some info on servicing the 88 Reatta.  I also am posting the diagram for the power steering system.

DSCF2446.JPG

DSCF2447.JPG

DSCF2448.JPG

DSCF2449.JPG

DSCF2445.JPG

later cars did have a cooler with fins...........you can find them on Cadillac sedans,  here is a picture

The one shown below is from a Cadillac the metal triangle is something I made so it would be plug n play on the Reatta

I don't have a picture of the Reatta cooler.........it is identical to the Cadillac except for the mounting bracket.

PSP 2.jpg

• Thanks 1

I've been sitting here thinking that I might like to add a finned power steering cooler to my '88 like the one in Barney's photo. When I looked at my photos of the area where the cooler pipe is located I realize it might not be easy to do. I've covered up the power steering cooler pipe on my car with a big transmission cooler.

SAM_1915.JPG

congratulations Ronnie......I am a big fan of auxiliary transmission coolers.....especially in the South.   Heat kills transmissions and when we have weeks of 100 degree weather I know the auxiliary cooler helps.

In your case,  I would move the transmission cooler out a little, maybe just tilt the bottom out so you can install one of the coolers from a Cadillac.....they are reasonably plentiful around here.

Of course you could add any sort of cooler to the power steering line, but the way it come in on one side and out on the other makes normal coolers harder to mount.

I found a small cooler on Mercury Capri with automatic transmissions.....but they are getting hard to find in salvage yards.

31 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

I would move the transmission cooler out a little, maybe just tilt the bottom out so you can install one of the coolers from a Cadillac....

That might be a good winter time project. I like to keep things cool.   I think a trans cooler really helps here in the South. If anybody wants to install one on their Reatta I have instructions on how I did it on ROJ:  Transmission Cooler Installation Instructions

We purchased a new 2017 Enclave back in Dec and I want to add a cooler but could not figure out how to get in front of the radiator.

With online instructions for similar GM vehicles,  you must remove the entire front plastic.   The videos made it look simple but you need a helper to manage that big chunk of plastic.

again a winter project.

I also want to upgrade the factory cooler on my GMC pickup,  finally found a video on removing the grill to get to the factory cooler.

Lots of projects and so little time.......still need to get my 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible back on the road.

DSC00001.jpg

Nice looking Corvair convertible. A member of my car club has one like yours that is in perfect condition. We park together often. Red Corvairs and Reattas go together well. The building in the background of the photo was the home of James Earl Ray for many years. 

brushy mountain (5).jpg

6 hours ago, ski.dive said:

AZVET-

1] What part of the 'power steering' is leaking fluid?

2] Where did you find those 'diagram pictures' that you posted?

1.  That is what I am trying to find out.  I ordered a bottle of GM dye and purchased a black light bulb yesterday so I will soon find out.

2.  My 88 Reatta/Riviera assembly manual that the previous owner included with my car.

My goodness.  I went out to the garage while my wife watched the news.  I placed a fresh cardboard under the car, opened the hood and shone my big LED flashlight down on the cardboard to watch for a drip.

After about 5 minutes I found the leak.  It was coming from the lower radiator hose!!!!!

I had refilled the radiator with Prestone 50/50 after I had replaced the intake manifold gasket.  While attempting to burp the system with the radiator cap off and after a huge spill I had topped it off with distilled water.  This diluted the mix so it is now a very light yellow.  That is why I had not recognized the drips on the white paper as coolant.

I must have put the lower hose on and not tightened it very well as it took about 2 full turns to snug it down.  So far, no leaks but I will have to take it for a test drive Saturday to make sure.  I will also have to drain what is in the radiator and top it off with more Prestone 50/50 so that I will be protected this Arizona winter.  And yes, it does get into the 20s a couple of nights in February each year.