1932 Plymouth PA

broker-len

That’s wild! I have never seen that on any mopar of mine and my father’s and all we owned Since the early sixties that dad had of 1929-1932 plyms in his life and mine, the only styles I ever seen and have Installed was the one I posted,plus on the 1932 Chryslers as well. That is so cool that you came up with that style also. Good research.

Regards

thehandleman      your pic's are of the 1932 PB air silencer set up --- it will work on the PA if you use the BB1 carb.

The picture that Bob put up is of the late 31 PA --- the early PA did not use the long upper tube and the top part was just under the carb --problem was they filled with dirt and plugged up  --- I think this was a dealer installed fix then used in later cars.

Bob -- I know we have talked about this with no resolution --- I wonder if Bob Mcmulkin could help he is the Tech director for 31-32 for the Plymouth club or he was last I knew   --- I do not have correct carb or cleaner on my car to help ---Allan

I have it on my 1932 PB so I think mine is the more modern version and I have it connected to the correct Carter BB1

maybe they scrubbed the PA as it had problems like other gentleman was saying ?? And went to the Burgess like on my PB works good except when needing to shoot a little ether in carb after winter to start her up

cheers

I contacted Mcmulkin-------he told me he never saw one   some one told me they went with the updated silencer because of fire due to motor backfire    I did have a PB unit      could not mount on my car    if I remember it seems it hit the firewall          at any rate    I do have the early type of unit that I am running with a BB1   I also have a brass bowl  but       but I guess the search goes on as to why the unit will not fit    maybe Lanny will run this post in the PLYMOUTH BULLETIN       thank you all for your help

Bob,

If you use the PB version with the Carter BB1 carb, I think oem was a 4A3 carb but you can use several variants I think 517S and others will work, The burgess  has to slide on the carb quite far to avoid hitting firewall also there is a bracket that comes out on the bottom from engine to the burgess box which has a stud on the box that keeps it staionary and from it hitting firewall and side of hood, Good Luck in your ventures

Rich

As I said---------------------I had a PB air silencer    I sold it    it would not fit    I have the one pictured    I do have the early silencer as well   but just trying to unlock the Question---------------why would chrysler put this picture in manual if it was not possible to install-------there is something I am missing-----------------------thank you for your help

sil-6.JPG

plymouth show.jpg

Edited by broker-len (see edit history)

It looks to me like the long tube has slots where it fits onto the silencer, for a clamp. As such, it should rotate so you can fit the short tube on the carb.

Is your accelerator rod around the right way? If it came through that hole on the carb from the other side, the long tube could be closer to the engine. The choke cable might even come around the other side of it.

The rub here is that the manual picture is missing the accelerator rod and the choke cable!

It also looks to me as if your accelerator linkage on the carb. is back too far. The tag the rod goes into should be more or less vertical according to the manual picture. The little rod (brass on yours?) on the other side of the accelerator appears to be vertical, whereas in the manual photo it at about 30o from the vertical.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Where the long exit tube with the elbow meets the box is the joint that pivots ,  to bring it away from rod , cables and motor . So box itself is sloped toward you when finished . Then extension stud off manifold bolt to pick up tube brace . How does that sound ?

Edited by ArticiferTom
grammer (see edit history)

Tom  --none of the joints are able to pivot  they are set    there are two mounting points    to the left at the bottom of can  mounts to bell housing and one on the vertical tube mounts to a manifold stud    there is no ability to change the position once it is bolted on       I think spinny hill has the idea     going to reverse the throttle arm   I have seen a few pictures of this motor and this arm is straight    don't know why mine is bent  except maybe that was procedure to mount this unit       I'm  starting to feel it is pretty rare      no one has seen it----   bu not sure if I will clear the cable   but will give it a go     right now have the bb1 in place      the next project is to paint the wheels

1 hour ago, broker-len said:

--none of the joints are able to pivot  they are set

I don't agree. There are slots at the bottom in your picture. This means the tube is made to expand to allow rotation and removal. There are similar slots on the carb mounting end, which should also have a clamp.

image.png.fbf22ca0f7a97e84fc3ac0d856201e30.png

My burgess silencer has a clamp for carb mount and a grooved slot for the breather end and my lower bracket bolt stud is smaller then bracket hole to allow for slide on and off, but my burgess silencer is for the PB not the PA so it could be diff as my car came and was sold with the BB1 as standard equip as the PA I think came with the brass bowl carter but Bob would know that better as std.equip ???? Thinking that.

Spinny Hill         I do understand your reasoning      and I will check if that joint is movable but all the joints are braised    and don't want to butcher it up     the silencer  can not be moved also as I said  because  it bolts to the bell housing left bottom   which prevents it from being swung  out if that is your idea

Bob 

have you had the long pipe off of the silencer box??    when the unit is installed on the bellhousing pin and on the carb. it sets at an angle not strait up and down ---then if you put the pipe back on vertical to the motor it should open room for the carb linkage and cable. 

the silencer mounts on a slide pin and not bolted tight --IE. slips over the pin and on carburetor --- clamped installed on carb. --- the long tube slips onto the silencer box and bolts to the manifold bolt.   it is also clamped  on the silencer. 

I have seen one and the long tube is removable or it should be.---I had the silencer box  and took measurements to build the tube.   IT was removable and just clamped on ..my 2 cents worth--Allan

Plywood------thank you,,,,,,,,,,,,the silencer is held by a BOLT on the bell housing and over the manifold stud      all the pipes are fixed  there is no wiggle room  and if you look at the picture I posted it would not make  any difference ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as the picture indicates this unit is made by burges        not sure if it was the one that came on the car    going to try spinny hill's suggestion       it is interesting that no one has come forward and said they have one of these,,,,,,,, maybe non survived

I have had this unit for 10 years     I appears to have been never used   rust free     again     even if I was to loosen the joint as you mention    the CAN  is fastened to the bell housing     so even if I took the vertical piece off   I could not swing it out and even if I could it may come closer to hitting the inside of the hood-----------as I look at pictures of other PA motors      mine is the only one that is bent outward     and in the other pictures the arm is going through the throttle  from the inside      your suggestion I think is the answer        my car is a PA   but the registration is for a 1932     so the car was second generation PA which tells me it had the updated silencer from the factory    may be that is how they got it to fit        bend the throttle arm in to clear the vertical pipe    we are starting winter here      and I don't work on cars in the cold     and the next project is to paint the 6 wheels in the spring  at this time have a bb1 with first generation silencer on the car

POOK 2.JPG

SHOW 11.jpg

• 1 year later...

the joints are not moveable on mine     also the vertical pipe has a connection which bolts onto the manifold stud----I thingkthe idea of turning the throttle arm has merit      I think I tried but could not and don't want to bend it  maybe there was a second one used by chrysler   am replacing the oil seals on rear and trans so car is in the shop I may play with it again

• 2 years later...
11 minutes ago, Taphouse701 said:

Good afternoon! Would anyone have any info on the 1931 plymouth convertible coupe ? This was my grandfather's car and I'm trying to track it down to see if I can buy it. Thanks

Screenshot_20221103_120358_Samsung Internet.jpg

You might start a post of your own about the car as the request could get lost on this thread. I see it has cowl lamps which are kinda rare for that car.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1