'41 Buick Limited on Ebay

I've known this car since 1967.  I tried to buy it out of California two years ago, but the guy couldn't produce a title.  A loan company had it.  I couldn't figure out how to release the title without paying off the loan.  Since the car was in California and I was in Virginia, and I wouldn't fly out there, I could not get it done.  Somehow this new owner was able to do that and raise the price by 9K.  I guess it cost a lot to ship it to Missouri.  Among the CHVA club members in the seventies and eighties this car was famous.  It made a 3 day each way trip to Baltimore and back in 1967 and 1971.  The owner and the car both had some real guts.  I'd love to have it for sentimental reasons.  It was parked in front my house outside of Baltimore both times when he came east for a show.  He passed in 1989.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

While living in NW Indiana, I bought the twin to this in SW Michigan some 40 years ago. Unfortunately a subsequent owner lost it to a garage fire. His son managed to fine another identical '41 Limited and still has it. Big and beautiful cars

I just figured it up.  This car pulled up in front of my house in Severn, MD while I was cutting grass exactly 51 years and 5 months ago.  It was the first 41 Buick Limited I had ever seen, and I was mesmerized by it.  It returned from California again in 1971 with a full family.  By 1973 I had one of my own which I took to an AACA Senior in 1977.  I have photos of this car in my file from the 1971 trip.  Later, maybe today, I'll post one.  The owner, Al Newman of Buena Park, CA was a hard driver.  He and his daughter traveled to Pittsburgh in two days.  She stayed visiting his mother, and he picked her up on the way back to California, again making the trip in three days.  After remarrying he came back in 1971 with his new wife and now four children.  I don't think they all made that trip in three days that time.  Al became a close friend, although all the way across country.  We visited him in 1973 and I visited twice, once while attending an AACA Meet in 1979, and once while on a business trip.  Al passed away in 1989 and I never knew what happened to the car until a year and a half ago when it turned up for sale.  He also had a nice 1940 Series 80 Limited (which he also drove to the east coast once for a CHVA club tour) and an unrestored 1942 Limited.  In 1979 the '41 was in his garage, down and needing work.  I suppose that is when he rebuilt the engine.  Long time ago..............................................good memories. 

• Like 5

Here is a picture of this 1941 Buick Limited 91 as it appeared on the showfield in 1971 at Bonnie Blink School in Baltimore, MD.  This event was a CHVA club National Meet.  It was the second Maryland CHVA National Meet in Baltimore that Al Newman drove this car to from California.  At the time he put CHVA on the hobby land map, and later became the National President of the club.  He had great charm and seemed to just draw people to him.

1796665110_AlNewman41Buick91Baltimore1971.thumb.jpg.9039f3a9ec6670cbf68c4d66afbedaf8.jpg1796665110_AlNewman41Buick91Baltimore1971.thumb.jpg.9039f3a9ec6670cbf68c4d66afbedaf8.jpg

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, suchan said:

Awesome car! I wonder why the owner chose to put it on eBay if it's a firm price. Not that I think it's a bad asking price. What are those black 5"-6" circles on the rear door panels? Aftermarket speakers?

Sure look like speakers.

I think I'm the "friend of a previous owner" to whom he is referring in his current description on eBay.  I've written him three times with a lot of history, but since I am currently, and unfortunately, not a prospective buyer he hasn't replied to me.  I would have bought it in the early summer of 2017, but the owner had put the title up for a loan and I couldn't figure any way to get the car.  I contacted Vault Cars in Buena Park and asked him if he would or could find a way to pay off the loan and get the car and sell it to me; but he wasn't interested.  Let's see, I tried to buy back my 1941 two-tone gray Limited that I sold in 1981 when I found it in California, but the man didn't want to sell.  I couldn't get this one in 2017, even though I knew the condition is down, but I wanted it for sentimental reasons.  Later in 2017 I bought a 1941 Roadmaster sedan and have restored it, plus I turned 80 a few days ago; so there is just no real way now.  I have a 1964 Buick Wildcat for sale on consignment at MJC Classic cars in Lakeland, FL, and in December my '39 Buick Special convertible sedan will be advertised in AACA and BCA publications.  I was going to sell the Suburban and trailer, but I think I'll wait awhile on that.  The 2020 AACA Sentimental Tour in West Virginia is beckoning me.  Maybe I can still tow that far when I'm 82; or, maybe I can drive the '41 Roadmaster.  It's not like back in Al's day.  You can't get parts or find a mechanic on the road for cars that old now, so you can't risk breaking down at mine and my wife's age.  At least, that is my opinion.  Earl Beauchamp, BCA #55, 804-366-4870

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Happy Birthday Earl !!!!  May you have many many more of them and enjoy driving your Buicks as you have had the pleasure to do for so many years.

Thank you Walter.  At 80 years old it's good to be able to stand up straight and still travel some.....AACA Sentimental Tour next.  I hate pulling that closed trailer.  Then we'll relax with the cars until the AACA National Winter Meet in Ocala.  I plan to drive my 1941 Buick Roadmaster to that show.  It's 125-140 miles from my house.  Living in Florida simply separates you from all antique car activities if you love pre-WWII cars as I do.  I've been seriously looking for a 1991-1994 Buick Park Avenue with mileage well under 100,000 so I can drive to the AACA Founders Tour and SE Divisional Tour next year.  When Al Newman drove that '41 Buick Limited across country twice, parts were still available in parts houses and mechanics who knew how to use them on an old Buick were still working in the shops along the highway.  Time catches up with you in more ways than one my friend.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:28 PM, parrts said:

While living in NW Indiana, I bought the twin to this in SW Michigan some 40 years ago. Unfortunately a subsequent owner lost it to a garage fire. His son managed to fine another identical '41 Limited and still has it. Big and beautiful cars

Sounds like my dad and my brother.  The car on the top was lost in the arson garage fire in 1989.  My father purchased it in 1977 or 1978 from a place called "Little Joe's".  

The car on the bottom is the one my brother purchased in Michigan some years ago.  I drove the one on the bottom to the BCA meet in South Bend a few years ago.  

1167535_333662996769544_1575748623_o.jpg

42142858_10215404489178414_6754670297342803968_o.jpg

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

You've got a clear road.  After much agonizing, I decided against taking the leap.  With the Classic Car Club decision to include the 1941 Buick Roadmaster I found a really good original car, restored the paint, chrome, wiring harness, clutch, new radiator core and weatherstrip.  I can't bring myself to spend another $25,000+ on another restoration.  If you buy it, I've got a gallon of black lacquer, a gallon of thinner, and a pint of blending agent for $250.

These are great looking cars.  I have the Cadillac version that we are currently restoring but I think the Buick had the better engine back then.  I wish we had the Buick but I'm not inclined to restore and lose money on two of these bohemiths.   This car needs everything ours did so I have a good pulse on what the costs are.  

Thanks for sharing all the info Dynaflash.   I don't think the price is bad but you'd bury yourself in a hurry.  

I wish mine were that nice underneath. Would I trade my beautiful interior and detailed engine bay for a rust-free undercarriage? Probably not, but this one is probably a better foundation for both of those upgrades.

I'm way upside-down on mine and I don't care even a little bit. I LOVE the car. It is far and away the best old car I've ever owned and I've never driven a better pre-war car of any type. If you have the means, reach up and grab this one guys.

Matt my friend , I can agree with you. I love my 1940 Roadmaster and it uses the same engine as the limited. the 1941 cars of course have the dual carb set up and I considered having Doug Seybold - the master Buick man in Ohio and real gentleman and good friend  install a 1941 dual carb set up on my car when he had it in its shop after i bought it, but just didn't have the $ at the time. I love driving my 1940 as well but really like a floor shift over a column shift, that being said the column shift in the Roadmaster is the best column shift car I have ever driven or owned! I never owned a Buick before the one I have and will never ever sell my car. ( doesn't mean I think anything less of my 1930 Packard, both cars are my "forever" machines , a decade apart and the best of both worlds age wise for me personally so far as styling goes too, only took me 55 years to get to this point to own what I do)

Matt,  your article was excellent in the CCCA comparing the Limited and the 41' Cadillac.    

I haven't driven those exact cars but have driven enough Cadillacs and Buicks of the era to relate to the article.  

These bodies tended to rot at the inner rockers/outer rockers,  back of body where the trunk lid lines up with the body, and where the rear fenders attach to the body.  Most GM stuff of this era goes in these locations so if you can find a clean one then your miles ahead.  

Matt: I'm upside down in my 41 Roadmaster already.  For sentimental reasons i'd love to have this Limited.   But, I can tell you this.  My friend drive this car hard and put it away wet.  No telling how many miles it put on it.  I've known the car 51.5 years.  I still want it, but at 80 common sense gets the better part of valor or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I really don't need it, but at $20,000 it is tempting.

Earl are you ready to go ahead and buy it now?

I was on tour with Bob Trueax last week.  He knew Al Newman as well as I did.  Bob is 83.  CHVA editor Charlie Smith knew him well, also, he's 80 now.  I'm 80 now.  I don't know how many others are still living or are still into old cars, but CHVA doesn't even present the "Al Newman Touring Trophy" from what I'm told.  I was also with Doug Seybold on the tour.  All of these people have advised me to enjoy my 41 Roadmaster and let sentimentality lie.  I'll need this money for assisted care or something in not so many years.  Judy is having very serious surgery next Monday.  I am in no position to take on a project, any project.  I also don't see where I have time left in life to enjoy another project.  My '39 Special 4-door convertible is even for sale and the dealer with my 64 Wildcat on consignment can't seem to sell it.  All that said, I did tell the guy what I would pay for that car and I think it was close enough to the $20,000 what with shipping cost.  And, I don't know why I even did that!!  When I couldn't get it before it went to loan company auction I bought the Roadmaster and restored it.  I think somebody on high was telling me something then.

Thats tempting.  If it was in my backyard I might do something stupid.   

Still a few thousand more than I paid for our Cadillac.  Matt would know more than me but It feels like their aren't many buyers for this stuff anymore.   Seems like everyday stuff has been soft and only the collectors are paying big bucks for special cars. 

I surely know most kids don't want anything to do with them.  I have 5 nephews and they don't care at all.  Couple of them are even embarrased to ride in our cars and pull their hoodies over their heads when we go through town.    With us not having kids it makes it easy to decide they will not get one for inheritance.     

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Janousek said:

Thats tempting.  If it was in my backyard I might do something stupid.   

Still a few thousand more than I paid for our Cadillac.  Matt would know more than me but It feels like their aren't many buyers for this stuff anymore.   Seems like everyday stuff has been soft and only the collectors are paying big bucks for special cars. 

I surely know most kids don't want anything to do with them.  I have 5 nephews and they don't care at all.  Couple of them are even embarrased to ride in our cars and pull their hoodies over their heads when we go through town.    With us not having kids it makes it easy to decide they will not get one for inheritance.     

That is so true, and it is a shame....the effects of street rodding an modifying I think....but that's just an opinion.  This car is also a Series 91, which means it is a straight 6 passenger sedan....no jump seats, no divider window.  Still for we old farts who love the pre-War cars of our youth, it is the King of the Buicks.  I've been tempted because I know the car, and it is the first 41 Limited I ever saw when I was 29 years old in 1967.  It was approprially named "The Parlor Car That Flies" by Buick.  When Cadillac saw them, Cadillac almost had a heart attack.  Longer, faster and more powerful than a Cadillac.  If I hadn't already invested in a 41Roadmaster and restored mine I certainly would have bought this particular Limited.  But at 80 there is too much water under the bridge now.  I'm almost afraid he'll meet my price and I wouldn't know what to do with another 41 Buick, even a Limited.  If that right rear leaking wheel cylinder has leaked onto the lining I have no idea where I'd get one.  The brakes are much larger than the other models.  I guess somebody, somewhere car reline brake shoes....maybe a big truck outfit.  Still, the bottom line is that buyers for the cars I love are dwindling as fast as World War I veterans.  

I paid considerably more than $20K for mine, and while my interior and engine bay are nicer, mine is pretty grungy underneath. I don't care, I'm not going to fix it, it doesn't affect the car, but that super clean California undercarriage should be tempting if the rest of the car is in decent shape. You can chip away at it a little at a time like I have and end up with the best driving pre-war car ever built (sorry Packard guys). You can watch the videos of my car blasting along at 65 MPH with effortless ease, but you really don't get the full impression of what it's doing. At 95 degrees outside, it runs at 170, it tracks like a cruise missile, it's nearly silent, and it smothers bumps like a hovercraft. The brakes are outrageously powerful. And despite weighing somewhat north of 5500 pounds, it still accelerates faster than almost anything else built prior to 1949. Nobody in the northeast Ohio region CCCA will race me anymore...

It's also worth noting that this seller started at $28,000 firm (don't ask me to take less) and is now at $20,000, so I suspect he's a very motivated seller. If what Earl says is true, I would be double sure to see the title, but otherwise, at $20K, I think this car is a winner. Who cares what it's worth later? If you're an enthusiast and a Buick fan, this is as good as it gets for pre-war and it's welcome at all the big events. Forget future values and have fun. Isn't that the point?

I have literally driven hundreds of other comparable cars and I personally own other big Classics, all of which are more valuable than the Limited. Nevertheless, the Limited is the only one that makes me smile every time I drive it. It should also tell you something that Earl, and several other previous owners I've spoken to, deeply regret selling their Limiteds. I know it would be a mistake for me to sell mine and that I would always regret it. I will not be selling mine, not ever.

I don't think they'll ever be valuable but I don't think they'll ever be worthless, either. And the guys who own them will be part of a small fraternity of people who own the greatest road car of the pre-war era and know it. I wish I could share with any of you fence-sitters how my car is treated like royalty at every BCA event I take it to. EVERYONE knows what it is, knows that's a special car. Sitting on the sidelines on this car makes no sense, not at this price.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

I paid considerably more than $20K for mine, and while my interior and engine bay are nicer, mine is pretty grungy underneath. I don't care, I'm not going to fix it, it doesn't affect the car, but that super clean California undercarriage should be tempting if the rest of the car is in decent shape. You can chip away at it a little at a time like I have and end up with the best driving pre-war car ever built (sorry Packard guys). You can watch the videos of my car blasting along at 65 MPH with effortless ease, but you really don't get the full impression of what it's doing. At 95 degrees outside, it runs at 170, it tracks like a cruise missile, it's nearly silent, and it smothers bumps like a hovercraft. The brakes are outrageously powerful. And despite weighing somewhat north of 5500 pounds, it still accelerates faster than almost anything else built prior to 1949. Nobody in the northeast Ohio region CCCA will race me anymore...

It's also worth noting that this seller started at $28,000 firm (don't ask me to take less) and is now at $20,000, so I suspect he's a very motivated seller. If what Earl says is true, I would be double sure to see the title, but otherwise, at $20K, I think this car is a winner. Who cares what it's worth later? If you're an enthusiast and a Buick fan, this is as good as it gets for pre-war and it's welcome at all the big events. Forget future values and have fun. Isn't that the point?

I have literally driven hundreds of other comparable cars and I personally own other big Classics, all of which are more valuable than the Limited. Nevertheless, the Limited is the only one that makes me smile every time I drive it. It should also tell you something that Earl, and several other previous owners I've spoken to, deeply regret selling their Limiteds. I know it would be a mistake for me to sell mine and that I would always regret it. I will not be selling mine, not ever.

I don't think they'll ever be valuable but I don't think they'll ever be worthless, either. And the guys who own them will be part of a small fraternity of people who own the greatest road car of the pre-war era and know it. I wish I could share with any of you fence-sitters how my car is treated like royalty at every BCA event I take it to. EVERYONE knows what it is, knows that's a special car. Sitting on the sidelines on this car makes no sense, not at this price.

Everything that Matt says is pretty much true.  I don't remember mine being that fast, but I do remember this car was driven both ways from California to Baltimore and back in 1967 with a stop in Pittsburgh in three days if the owner told me the truth.  The second time he had a wife and four kids in it, so he probably took longer...........in 1971.  I would have chosen this car to restore if the owner had a clear title, but when he didn't I moved on and spent my money on a Roadmaster.  What am I going to do with an additional well used 1941 Buick.  That said, I did inquire if he would take a price for it.  The previous owner put it up for a loan at a loan company to get money for his business he told me.  This owner told me that person failed to pay and it went through a a used car auction.  Being a dealer, he put in a bid and got it.....Cost him $1800 in shipping.  Would cost me another $1450 in shipping.  My only hold back is my age.  The AACA magazine was delivered today, and my '39 Buick convertible sedan is in it for sale.  I'm trying to cut back....to buy this car would just muddy the water for me.  I've got a 64 Buick Wildcat out on consignment.  If it sold I might take the gamble and sit around looking at this Limited and remember good times past.  Or, the money could be earning money.  By the way MATT, the right rear brake cylinder is leaking....if it is on the lining now, where could somebody go to get a new lining put on that big, big shoe?    The cylinder is the same as all of the others around that time. 

5 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

My family has owned two 1941 Series 90 Limited Buicks.  They are great driving cars.  

380612_109245022544677_1367085935_n.jpg

1167535_333662996769544_1575748623_o.jpg

• Like 1

I looked over the ebay ad again.  For me the car looks usuable for a driver except the interior.  I can smell it through the ethernet cable.  That's the rabbit hole our Cadillac is falling down and the interior looked nicer than this.  It was a driver but where do you stop.  I don't know too many people that want to sit in 70+ year old broadcloth if it has an aroma.   

Unless your a trimmer looking for a project your bill is going to cost more than you'll pay for the car.  Then throw in a new steering wheel and paint the garnishes, dashboard, maybe some interior chrome work.  It's to the point where most average guys are out.  My phone never rings anymore for normal Joe looking for normal work.  

I hope someone on here buys it.  If I could go back I'd buy it in a second over my Cadillac.  

There must have been some ebay glitch around 10 or 10:30 last night.  It was back up to $22,500, but this morning it is back down to $20,000.  I have asked an acquaintance in Kansas City to look at it.  He said he would call the owner last night, but I've not heard anything new.  I can do the interior for under $10K where I had my Roadmaster restored.  Leather was available in 1941.  If I did the car I'd do it in pleated red naugahyde I think.  There was a 41 Super at the Allentown National BCA Meet done in green pleated leather.  Well, maybe I wouldn't.  This car was originally two tone tan broadcloth.  If the paint is as good as my Roadmaster was, I'd probably leave it alone, but I can paint it for the same price.  I have a price quote on all of it, but I just can't go there at my age....have to think about the limited future and my wife...I'm 80.   If only the 64 Wildcat would sell first, though, I think I'd use that money and go for it.  The wiring harness would be an awful cost.  I hope somebody buys it before I weaken.  I don't have time or space.  Thanks for that information on White Post.  I didn't know they did brake linings.  I have a dozen or more boxes of Buick rivit brake linings with only a couple packs of rivits, and didn't know anybody who could put them on shoes.  Of course, none fit a Limited.  The price for refinished engine turned panels is $925 for the pair.  Woodgraining the dash, back of front seat, and wide garnish moldings would cost a small fortune.  There used to be a guy in Winter Haven, FL who did that, but I haven't heard anything from him in years now.  A steering wheel would be about $850 now I think....'39 wheels come up on eBay for around $795 recast.  I have a number in my cell phone for a guy who came to AACA Philadelphia meetings last year for a seminar.  I could call him and ask the price I guess.  Buy why?  Once you ever start, there is no stopping.  Everything you do, makes what  you don't do look even worse.  Anyway, my wife has serious surgery coming up next Monday, so that's all I can really think about now.

Re-wiring is the big bugaboo.  The previous owner had a new, uninstalled wiring harness, but in all of the commotion it didn't convey to the new owner.  Al's 1940 80 series Limited was used in the old "Wonder Woman" series on TV, but I think this car was down for an engine overhaul at the time.  It was, at least, the last time I saw it, in 1979 when I visited him in Fullerton, CA.  Maybe the same friend bought the '40 and '42 from Al's daughter, I have no idea.  I've heard two different stories about his friend that he worked for at Cars of the Stars Museum.  I was told last week that the gentleman had 400 cars and sold them with the museum and then ended up getting some or all back again.  I only remember pictures of one, a 1929 or 1930 Cord with a searchlight on a post mounted to the runningboard.  The seventies and eighties don't sound long ago until you starting counting on your fingers, huh?

36 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

It's situational for me despite my Debbie Downer attitudes. Get the daughter in college, feel pretty good about the retirement savings (I'm 55) and maybe at age 65 I buy a car like this that is "driver" quality.  I enjoy it for 10 years or so, and sell it at a loss.  As I sit around reading books and driving my new Ford Mustang convertible on nice fall days, the memories will sustain me.  We only rent them after all.  I'm envious, not jealous, of Matt and other young uns who can own these classics NOW and create memories.

To be completely honest, doing all this now was a very intentional decision--I'm not lucky or rich, I simply decided not to waste time. I watched my father get old and frustrated, and by the time he was able to retire and "enjoy" the things he enjoys, he was too old to do many of them. I see all these old guys in the car clubs who have the interest and the knowledge but their health is failing, so their ability to enjoy is hindered. One member of our local club is 94 years old and keeps trying to drive his cars and its TERRIFYING to be around him on the road and there's no way I'd ever ride with him. I'm sure not going to wait until I'm too old to wrangle an old car before I can own and drive one. I'm doing it NOW, regardless of what I have to do to make it happen.

It's not just cars. Melanie and I decided we're not going to wait until we're too old to enjoy life. We take our retirement in small pieces, now, while we can enjoy it properly. Vacations, going out to dinner, small things that improve the quality of our lives in a tangible way. I know I've said this a million times, but money is easy to get compared to time.

I spent most of my '30s thinking that if I could just get to a particular finish line, then everything would be OK. Then the finish line would change or life would change or whatever, and I never reached the goal. "As soon as we move to a new house, I'll be able to build the shop I want and finish the Century." Move to new house. "As soon as we finish the kitchen remodel, I'll be able to start on the shop I want." Kitchen is finished. "As soon as we pay off the new roof, then I can start my shop." Roof paid off. "As soon as I finish the shop, then I can finish the Century." Divorce, sell house, start all over. You see how it goes. You NEVER cross the finish line so you may as well enjoy the journey instead. I don't waste a lot of energy thinking about the future, I do all I can to enjoy the right now. The future will take care of itself and I might be dead or sick or paralyzed or some other life crisis will come up. I'm not foolish with my money, we will be able to take care of ourselves and put our kids through school, but at the same time, I refuse to wait and wait for the perfect time to be alive and I'm 100% positive that being young is better than being old. The future is going to be the same as the present. Hoping it will somehow be magically different after you cross a certain goal line is the same as Einstien's theory of insanity.

As Red said, "Get busy living or get busy dying." Those are your only choices. And make no mistake, it's a choice. You can choose to do what you want when you want to do it, or you can choose to wait and do nothing and just hope the future is somehow different than the present (hint: it won't be). Everything else is semantics.

• Like 8