Carburetor for 1930 Model 77 Chrysler Sedan

Can anyone identify this carburetor from these pictures?  This is the carburetor on my Chrysler Model 77 sedan, and according to the handbook, it is not the original carb.  The original was a Stromberg, but the book does not tell which model that was.  

The needle valve has failed, and I assume I need to replace the rubber-tipped valve.  I have cleaned the chamber, the supply line, polished all sliding surfaces to the linkage inside and out, and polished the inside seat of the needle valve to assure there were no burrs.  The float floats, and it is positioned parallel with the top of the chamber when the valve is supposed to be closed.

I hope a replacement needle valve is available, but I can’t look for one until I know what I need.  Also, perhaps there is something I am overlooking.  Any advice, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated.  I suspect there is no simple rebuild kit for a carburetor this old.  On the other hand, I really don’t know much about carburetors.

Thanks for any help,
John Losch

thumb_IMG_3203_1024.jpeg.393566cc842efcdd4788351b1662cc2d.jpegthumb_IMG_3201_1024.jpeg.b0c6577d759fec53573ab4d021605c54.jpeg

Is it possible there is another diagnosis of the problem?

If the needle valve has failed, I would expect flooding. Well, drowning the engine in petrol. My Dodge 8 barely runs when the needle gets a bit of rubbish under it.

Dumb question: what sort of fuel pump? If electric, is the pressure too high?

The carb looks like a Stromberg, but, about a 1936 model. The carb for your car is a DX3. Info attached. Surprised there is no model number casting on the bottom; may be  a replacement carb by a parts store.

DX3 Carb.jpg

original carb with cleaner(1).JPG

The DX3 was probably replaced because they are basically updraft technology used in a downdraft. Carb King told us this somewhere...

Post #5:  http://forums.aaca.org/topic/300533-stromberg-dxc-3-carburettor/?tab=comments#comment-1708899

See also post #12 in that topic.

Stooy also told us about it (post #4):

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/200387-1931-dodge-brothers-dg-8/?tab=comments#comment-1019146

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

9 hours ago, robert b said:

Carter W1 carb ,General motors cars,Chev in the 30s

Correct.

Chevrolet 6 between 1934 and 1936 (needed one more picture to determine exact year).

Rebuilding kits are readily available.

Would give some serious consideration to acquiring a different carb. The Carter is a decent carb (later Carter W-1's were excellent); HOWEVER my information says your model 77 is a 268 CID engine, and this carb was designed for a 206 CID. Think you might be down on power.

Jon.

I am sorry to be so long replying to the several helpful replies to my initial question.  First, to Spinneyhill, you nailed most of the problem with your final question.  Yes, the electric fuel pump pressure was too high.  (One of my friends turned up the pressure a few months ago when the car was starving, probably from dirt in the fuel filter later replaced.)  With the pressure lowered the fuel bowl no longer dumped fuel onto the barn floor, but I see that the gasket gets wet so (1) I have not yet started the car, and (2) obviously, I should lower the float a little before starting the car.  (PIA job, but somebody has to do it.)

Parenthetically, I am petrified of starting the car in my 130 year old wooden barn until I have a friend watching, fire extinguisher in hand.  The fuel consumption has been very poor: less than 10 miles per gallon, and it seems now that the reason is obvious.  I shudder to think of how many times I have started that car not knowing that gas was pouring out of the engine compartment as the engine was being cranked.

To Robert B. and Carbking, thanks for identifying my carb.  There is a curiosity about the one on my car in that it has no identifying marks anywhere in the body that I can see.  I am guessing that the Carter W-1 on my car is from an aftermarket manufacturer.  Is that a reasonable possibility?  

To hwellens, you were certainly close, and at first glance your pictures looked close to the ones in my Model 77 manual.  We were close, but no cigar for us this time.  Thanks for helping.

And finally to Carbking, at this stage of our rumination, you are surely right that the Carter W-1 on my car is too small for the 268 CID of my engine.  As you pointed out, I am losing potential power of my engine.  In the area where I live, and thus the conditions and places where I can drive my car, I never usually drive the car faster than forty to forty five MPH.  I would never consider driving the car on a highway, and with those wooden wheels, and the usually deplorable condition of most New England back roads, I am reluctant to test the car's verility.  Unless the insuffiency of my Carter Carb effects either fuel economy or pollution, is there any reason I need to change to a more suited carburetor?  

Thanks to all for your help.

John Losch

13 hours ago, The Caponemobile said:

Unless the insuffiency of my Carter Carb effects either fuel economy or pollution, is there any reason I need to change to a more suited carburetor?   

Thanks to all for your help.

John Losch

Generally, too small a carburetor will run too RICH, thereby cutting into fuel economy. Too large a carburetor will run lean.

Don't know about pollution, but would think the smaller carb would contribute to higher pollution.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Final question for this subject:  Since my Carter Carb is too small, is not even remotely original to my car, and should be replaced, what available and affordable carburetor should I be looking for for my 268 CID engine?  I am not trying to make my car totally authentic even though I don't want to do anything that would not be reversible to some future restorer.  I want it to be a reliable driver when I feel like taking it out for the fun of it, or to shows, or I and or my grandchildren sometimes feel like just showing off.  I expect "The Caponemobile" to be a low mileage, low use car.  Should we, as a practical matter,  just do with what we have?