New yorker 1955 choke

1955  New Yorker St Regis h/top

I'm having trouble with the auto choke on a 4 barrel Carter carby. The vacuum line keeps blocking up with carbon.

I have blown air down it, soaked it with brake cleaner but nothing seems to stop it from blocking up.

Any suggestions how to fix this problem would be a get help.

Many thanks in advance!!!

20180123_182536.jpg

That line must be open to the exhaust. Corroded where you cant see it?

I am thinking it should go thru to open air, then the air collects heat as it passes to the carb.

Maybe you could disconnect it at the carb and start the car and see if there is exhaust coming out of it.

As Jack says, the riser tube has a hole in it where exhaust is getting in. I"ve had this happen on other makes. Either do what Jack suggests, or...........disconnect at the carb, put your finger over the one end and blow air in the other end and you should be able to tell if there is a 'hidden' hole in the tube.

JACK M and r1lark have it right. There should be no carbon in that line in the first place, let alone enough to plug it up.

Those choke housings all work the same. There is a tiny vacuum bleed inside to keep the air moving. Air, either filtered or unfiltered, comes in a tube. from there it goes to an area heated by the exhaust, known as a "choke stove". This can be a chamber in the exhaust or intake manifold, or on some cars the little tube is simply run through an exhaust passage. Exiting the "choke stove" area, the tube makes it's way on up to the carb.

No exhaust should contaminate the clean air running through the little tube. If the air is contaminated, something is rusted through, somewhere.

Thanks for the replys!

I have removed the pipe from the carby end and it appear to have exhaust gas coming out !

I have also trace the pipe to where it enters the manifold. I tried to remove the pipe but it wouldn't move. 

I don't want to force to much because I'm not sure how it fits. 

I can not see whether the pipe exist the manifold? I am also not sure want I should be looking for! as it is different from what I've seen before.  

Terry

20181022_101752.jpg

A cheap and simple fix (albeit incorrect) would be to wrap a length of copper tubing around the manifold a few times and route it to the carb.

Be sure to plug or pinch off the old tube so that you don't have that exhaust leak.

I wouldn't want to be the one to have to remove a 60 plus year old manifold. Especially while its still in the car.