wtd model A ford Vicki-original and roadster as well

mercer09

still looking for an original model A ford vicki as well as a 30-31 roadster in original condition

meaning........... original paint, upholstery, top. chrome, etc. mechanical can be repaired.

rusty and crusty is my preference.

what do you have?

rdz69@aol.com

I am in NJ Auburn with a home also in NY (syracuse)

looking in the 8-10k range for the vicki and 8-12k for the roadster.

I think both of those numbers are fair and have missed several over the last few years. Have seen several 28-29 roadsters, but I want a 30-31 in that model.

I would go higher for the right car.

I almost pulled the trigger on an old restoration A 400 2 weeks ago, but then started thinking I could buy the pair of these for the same $ and when it is time to get out, easier to sell the vicki and roadster then a higher priced rare model and I prefer unrestored and a bit crusty.

I just sold 3 projects I had here, so ready to buy!

thanks for asking!

Edited by mercer09 (see edit history)

On 10/21/2018 at 6:17 AM, mercer09 said:

still looking for an original model A ford vicki as well as a 30-31 roadster in original condition

meaning........... original paint, upholstery, top. chrome, etc. mechanical can be repaired.

rusty and crusty is my preference.

what do you have?

rdz69@aol.com

Thank you Auburn. Never saw that one. It is obviously repainted at some point and  "gone over".

I am looking for an all original car-rust and all. want to be able to pull out the Carnuba wax and have just a tint of sheen and preserve.

not sure what unknown running condition is supposed to mean..........

Interesting, because I have 2 cabs here in that condition or worse! LOL the condition is what I am looking for in the roadster or vicki.

about 4 months ago, helped a fellow evaluate his father in laws 2 dr sedan. Father in law now has dementia and the family wtd to sell it. so I told him not to give it away. fast forward to Saturday and he emails me, if yould like to buy the car, we are selling it and gave me a very good price. so I am now cleaning that one up, in the hopes of being able to swap

it out for what I want. the tudor is an old restoration-oxidized and is cleaning up pretty well.

I also found an original coupe with only 22k miles on the clock. fully running and everything working. I made an offer on it, but as I said, not what I really want.

with no more then 20 yrs left on this green earth, I have come to the conclusion to buy nothing, if I cant get what Im looking for. I already have 20 cars here.

thank you Auburn for continuing to look and your consideration! I appreciate it very much.

if you find me a car, I will send some lit your way! :)

found a roadster on CL that I think was in RI

not a bad looking car, but guy already cut out and installed a bunch of patch panels...............

funny, I ask for 100% original and guys send me photos of restored cars. I guess the meaning "original" is not always understood.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a  1935 Buick “Vicky”.   I bought it last August.    I have liked the design of them and have looked around for one for 4 or 5 years.   Mine is a  Buick series 50 model.    Last of Buick’s mechanical brake cars but it had vacuum assisted brakes.  Power Brakes - ? back then ?  So much for modern technology innovation,  re-invented.  Also, last of the Buick wood framed cars - 1936 were all steel.   I understand the fustration on trying to find a  “Vicky” version.  If found, the owners have  them, made them pretty so they want big bucks and scarcity does not help.   The two door sedans come as close as you can get to the “Vicky” design.   My guess is that the car makers, added a few upgrades to the base model,  which is what Buick did to make it nicer.  Chromed items, changes to the instrumen panel,  exterior horn’s, things like that. 

yes Jim, just sold a nice 31 tudor because I didnt want it- only a vicki. As you get older in life, you can settle or just wait for what you want.

Ill wait................ lol!

ps did find one in Hemmings, but too much $ for what it is and all the way out west.

• 1 month later...

Well here is an A400 that fits the bill but priced accordingly. 

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/d/yarmouth-1931-model-ford-a400/6794827591.html

1931 Model A Convertible Sedan also known as A400 or 400A. This is one of the rarest and most sought after Model A ford models. Named after 1930's high society 400 club, the A400 was Fords attempt to capturing some of the high end market. It is debatable how successful this attempt was, but it is not debatable that the A400 holds that position now amoung Model A owners. This example is an un-restored "barn find" that has not been on the road for over forty years. No attempt has been made to start the car or make it road worthy. This has the potential to be driven as is, an example of what a eighty eight year old car would look like; or restore it to the highest level. Not often found in this condition, it is an opportunity to purchase at the low price of $22,500.

00909_lUkfBmmwotV_600x450.jpg

Too bad you weren't first in line and got it before him.  Tell him that's a standing offer until you find something else but you and your "friends " are really beating  the bushes for something.  You never know when that phone may ring.

I know even cars I have sold had a firm price that at some point even got reduced as time went on and other shiny things on a string were dangled in front of me. 

• 3 weeks later...

so now I am leaning towards buying an older restoration and "distressing" it. I think it might be easier and less work in the long run.

I did the same with my 07 Maxwell DR and it looks like the paint is from 100 yrs ago. Has fooled most who have seen it.

I am open- in the 10-13k range should do it. did see a roadster for 13k recently and might go that route.

I will end up with a car that is far more solid- not needing woodwork and pretty much ready to go.

Headed out on vacation this Sat till end of month, and then will deal with it when I get home.

selling off the projects and upgrading to running, driving cars.

Life is too short to ONLY play with rust..............lol!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...