1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator 302 Sold

VIN 0F91G517011
2 door hardtop
Grabber Blue/Black Vinyl
Mileage 41,063
This car is one of a group of cars that I am selling for a client in Livonia NY.

One owner car. Engine was replaced in 1971 with a standard Boss 302 engine.The heads / intake / exhaust are correct 
Eliminator package console, power brakes (disc front drum rear). Power steering. AM/FM radio tinted glass and Deluxe belts / Morning Light. Aftermarket Ford five spoke 15 inch wheels no Winters and very little rain. Well stored.
Engine / engine compartment:
Starts runs and drives well. Pollution equipment is missing. Non-authentic radiator cap, clamps. etc. But all major components are authentic. Carburetor cleaned and adjusted plus major engine tune up this summer. cars are registered, insured, and have current NYS Inspection
Chassis:
Solid and Rust free underneath. Owner indicates recent new clutch non-authentic 5 spoke chrome wheels with some pitting with Goodyear polyglas GT G70 x 15 white letter tires with very good tread. Newer dual exhaust with dual tips in good condition. Power steering and brakes.
Interior:
Overall interior is very authentic and decent. It needs detailing in the driver's seat has a split seam. All gauges except clock work. Working radio. Scuffs on package shelf and side bolsters. All Glass is very good. Good door panels, dash pad and console.
Exterior:
Paint looks good and has a very good solid body but it has a few issues. Spoiler was keyed by someone and has not been prepared. Stripes are showing some 15 and some Chrome is pitted. Rest of chrome is good. Scuff on left rear quarter and small dings in hood and trunk trim.
Cars is registered, insured, and has current NYS Inspection.

Price is $38,000.00

e-mail:  kelly@classictag.net for more pictures 

cougar 001.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

IMG_1458.jpg

cougar 002.JPG

cougar 003.JPG

Edited by supercargirl
typo reduce price (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've never even heard of a Boss 302 Cougar, so thinking production and survival much lower than the Mustang version.  

Nice looking....with rarity/mileage/ & how it goes down the road in it's favor!

The only Cougar I've seen that desirable was one for sale about a year ago that had an unheard-of 428 or 429 mill in it. 

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:01 PM, jeff_a said:

I've never even heard of a Boss 302 Cougar, so thinking production and survival much lower than the Mustang version.  

Nice looking....with rarity/mileage/ & how it goes down the road in it's favor!

The only Cougar I've seen that desirable was one for sale about a year ago that had an unheard-of 428 or 429 mill in it. 

Many people have not heard of a Boss 302 Cougar.  For Mercury, you could only get the Boss 302 in a Cougar, and the Eliminator Option was mandatory with that engine.

There were 2,250 Cougar Eliminators built in 1969.  That year you could stick with the base drivetrain (351W-4V with 3-speed manual trans), or you could opt for the Boss 302-4V, 390-4V, 428CJ (with or without Ram-Air), or upgrade the CJ further to a 428SCJ (again, with or without Ram-Air).  Only 169 Eliminators were built with the Boss 302 engine in 1969.
Each engine also had various transmission options;
351W-4V = 3-speed manual (base), 4-speed manual (wide or close-ratio), FMX automatic.
Boss 302-4V = 4-speed manual (wide or close-ratio).
390-4V = 3-speed manual (base), 4-speed manual (wide or close-ratio), C6 automatic.

428CJ/SCJ (with or without Ram-Air) = 4-speed manual (wide or close-ratio), C6 automatic.

In 1970 there were 2,268 Cougar Eliminators built.  The base drivetrain was the 351C-4V (again with 3-speed manual trans), while optional engines were the Boss 302-4V, 428CJ (with or without Ram-Air) - again upgradable to a 428SCJ (with or without Ram-Air).  469 Eliminators were built with the Boss 302 engine in 1970.

Transmission options were similar to the previous year;
351C-4V = 3-speed manual (base), 4-speed manual (wide or close-ratio), FMX automatic.
Boss 302-4V = 4-speed manual (wide or close-ratio).

428CJ/SCJ (with or without Ram-Air) = 4-speed manual (wide or close-ratio), C6 automatic.

You will notice that the Boss 429 is not listed above.  While the B9 engine appeared in vintage literature as an available engine option for the Cougar Eliminator, none were built for the public (despite a number of orders placed).  There were three Boss 429 Cougars built in 1969: 2 were built for drag racers Dyno Don Nicholson and Fast Eddie Schartman (both cars have been found and restored), 1 was built as a magazine demo car (unaccounted for and presumed crushed).  NONE of the Boss 429 Cougars had the Eliminator Option - they were all built well before Eliminator production began.

As far as survival rates, considering the relatively low production numbers, time has been kind to the Boss 302 Eliminators.
195 Boss 302 Eliminators from 1970, and 58 Boss 302 Eliminators from 1969 are currently accounted for (note that these numbers include cars that are known to have been scrapped or destroyed, or documented only from VIN-stamped drivetrain components, or from vintage documents).

If you have any Eliminator-related questions, please feel free to contact me - I help track and document Eliminators for the Cougar Club of America and the Eliminator Registry.  Or you can contact the Eliminator Registry directly, here: https://eliminator.mercurycougarregistry.com/

Thanks, and have a great day!

Mike B.

• Like 1

Dear supercargirl & Mike_B_SVT,

I'm glad to hear that the car sold and also some of the specs of the Cougars back in the old days. I read a catalog for diecast car models a few days ago and found one of these available as a model, which backs up what we were talking about a little. So I go from never hearing about something to seeing it available in a gift catalog. Interesting cars. 

In the Fairfield Collectibles Holiday catalog there's a blue and gold race version. Text: "1:18 Scale - 10 1/2" Long, #18565NX 1967 Mercury Boss 302 Cougar-#48 Zippo Vintage Grand Prix, NOW $84.95". It has 5-spoke mags, a roll bar, and #48 on the door.

Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)