Best Vehicle Tarp for Barn Storage

Philberty2g

Hi Folks,

I've been doing my research on Winter storage. I have a buddy who just purchased an acreage with outbuildings. He is going to allow me to store my vehicle there for the next 3-5 months through Winter.  Since the vehicle will be indoors, what type of cover do you all recommend?  My 1955 Oldsmobile 98 has all original paint- so I definitely do NOT want a cover that will scratch or cause damage.  

Thanks!

There are plenty of car covers made specifically

for storing antique cars.  They all breathe, whether

they are made of synthetic or natural fabrics.

You will save money if you buy a generally sized cover 

(such as small, medium, large, extra large) instead of

one made and sized specifically for your car.

California Car Cover Co. is one supplier.

I like the heavier covers that are considered "indoor-outdoor"

because they offer a bit more protection.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use a plastic tarpaulin over

your car.  "Tarp" or tarpaulin isn't even the right term

to be thinking about.  I know one person who put a 

plastic tarp over his 1958 Buick Limited, and since

moisture couldn't escape, the car's paint was lifted off

in a few areas.

I had a 61 Fleetwood that had original paint.  I figured I'd buy a cover for it and cover it while in the garage.  Garage was heated and air conditioned.  The first time I used it for winter storage, even though the environment was climate controlled, I noticed the lacquer checking worsened.  After I stopped using it for the remaining three years I had the car, the cracking never worsened.

My father, a body man of 47 years said to not cover it.  He was right.

If it's indoors, I'd agree with Joe and the others - leave it uncovered and wash in the spring.

• Like 3

Don't worry about the cover, just dust.  Get a 10 mil plastic to lay down about twice as big as the car.  I like old carpet to lay on top of that, short nap works the best.  Buy 20 cats or 200 lbs. of mouse food...  well I guess you will need a cover for the cats to lay on.  I like the cheap cotton covers, throw them away when you are done.  Almost need a plastic cover for the condensation from the shed roof when it's raining on the car, spring and fall, unless the shed has good ventilation, most don't.  I have to use sheds to store my cars, if I only had one car I would rent a nice place to store it.  I live north of Iowa, rodents in the winter are the biggest problem, moisture is second, dust is last.

• Like 1

Crack a window or two. Let it breathe. It doesn't take much. Yes, some dust will get in, hopefully not too much. If you leave it closed up tight it may start to behave like a terrarium. That does a lot more damage than dust.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 39BuickEight said:

Cotton sheets

This, and I would be tempted to do it, making sure the car is absolutely clean, waxed, and dusted first. Any dirt will scratch.

If you leave it bare the cotton couldn't hold moisture against the paint I guess. The dirt will build up, and if anything touches the car before you wash it, then that dirt will scratch....

I can testify to long term storage and say that floor coverage is the 1st guard against rust damage and moisture control. Dust will wash off mostly with a hose before using a rag then using soap to wash & rinse and then buff / wax.

I stored my '58 Special for five years in this implement barn uncovered (along with other cars) putting plastic on the dirt floor first and then unused barn boards before parking on top.

You be the judge. (The rust out spots were there when she went in.)

294297131_1958BuickSpecial-March301979-Storage-pic2-Copy.thumb.jpg.6a8ac319e4b186e73b2d86cb942e933a.jpg

Six months later after removing her out the storage with new tires and top she looked like this. (same location.)

105458133_1958BuickSpecial-Aug1983-MarshalFarm-pic2-Copy.thumb.jpg.0c5b869fe5a3b7175e2e9591b4c17929.jpg

The paint survived just fine and looks like this today some 35 years later. (never put a buffer on her - all hand wax/polishing)

IMG_2932.thumb.JPG.0a8c2d3cc4e832079758a5a0b5814d6b.JPG

Ideally sure, a climate controlled environment is preferred storage but in reality not always available without a cost.

I dont like covers and a little dust on the car wont hurt anything (my cars always got extra dusty when I pulled the covers off anyways!). I do like to use one or two cheap box fans on low speed to just move the air around. That keeps moisture from settling on the car especially in the fall or spring when it might be warm during the day and cold at night which can make condensation on the metal an issue. Just put the fans in the corner on the floor and let them blow gently thru the garage. No need to blow right on the car or anything just keep the air moving around. It really helps alot!

I have also started putting an old gym sock over the exhaust pipes to keep critters out of there at least. Not much you can do about other areas tho.

Edited by billorn (see edit history)