Machinist or shop in SoCal Area needed

ChuckR

I'm looking for a machinist or shop in the Southern California area that can broach new keyways into the brake drums of an 1906 Franklin.  The keyways are long, 4.25". Will also need to machine new (or recut the old ) keyseats for the Woodruff keys in the axles which is 1.125" diameter.  Will likely have to mill new Woodruff keys also. The axles use two Woodruffs in a row to mate with the brake drums. The axles are not tapered. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, John.  Tom is redoing the engine on this car as we speak.  I was hoping to find someone local. Considering how much aerospace engineering was done here i SoCal, I'm surprised that there aren't dozens of competent machinists around. Age is apparently reducing the numbers.

Finding a good machinist is not so much the problem - finding a machinist that has a broaching machine to do inner keyways is usually the problem. 

A bunch of listings come up if you do a  Google search using, "So Cal machine shops + broaching service".

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Any machine shop that can't broach an inside keyway for an inch and an eight dia. isn't a machine shop, I can do that and I'm not a commercial machine shop. The  problem is the length of 4.25 inches long. Standard inside keyway broach bushings are 2-3 inches long for that dia. You will need to find a shop that's willing to make a long broach bushing and the corresponding shims for that length plus an extension piece to push the broach through. This won't be an easy task to find for what you would be willing to pay to get that keyway. You may be better off finding another brake drum or look into a restoration shop with machining capabilities. In either case it won't be inexpensive. I agree with Paul about looking for a shop that specializes in broaching, not just a normal machine shop.  

• Like 1

I wish you where on the east coast. A very simple job for any machinist that still can work manual machines.

The big problem is that the new guys all want to program there computer to do the work!!!

Its hard to find machines with handles on them anymore.