What To Look For When Inspecting a 1961 Skylark?

Skylark4367

I'm hoping to take a trip to see a 1961 Skylark for sale soon.  What are some of the main things to look for when inspecting one of these cars?  Are there any quirks I should know of.  I owned 1971 and 1978 Skylarks over the years, but am not too familiar with the 1961 model.  Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

They like to develop rust and water leaks along the base of the windshield and at the two lower corners of the backglass underneath the die-cast moldings. When a leak develops, it usually leaks right onto the emergency brake mechanism under the dash, and can rust it in place. Can also ruin the radio speaker.  People who don't know these cars tend to slam the hoods closed, and that can cause the hood lip molding to hit the top of the grille and damage it. Close the hood very gently--the latch is a ratchet that only takes the pressure of two fingers to close it. Tires should be either 13" or 15", with four lug bolt holes, not five. Spare wheels like this can be very difficult to find--1961-63 compact GM cars only. Rear bumper guards, on either side of the license plate tend to fill up with mud and salt and like to rust out. The ends of the rear bumper are the same way. Gas tanks are very hard to find. They hang down really low in back and can get damaged if the car has been driven on steep or rocky roads with a high center.

Make sure the transmission goes into reverse. When the transmission gives problems, reverse is usually the first thing to go bad. Learn to slow down the idle of the engine by putting it in Drive first, let it sit there for a few seconds until the engine has slowed down, and THEN go into reverse.

Tips from a long-time, former '61 Skylark owner. I bought one in Syracuse, NY when I was in college in 1980. They are wonderful little cars.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you, Pete, for confirming what I "knew" from back when these were new, but could never find it again. My aunt's '62 Special had 15" wheels. I kept trying to confirm that and only found 13" listed, just like my Corvairs. I clearly remember my grandfather discussing the tire size difference between the 60 Corvair she traded in on the 62 Buick Special.

Around here rocker panels rust out...

• 2 weeks later...