1956 Buick exhaust (Tailpipes)

Rztrike

Its one of those days where either I'm tired or I'm just plain stupid. Thought it would be a good day to work on the Buick, first project went great, no problems.

Second, thought I would pull out the muffler and tailpipe. Its all original mufflers, tailpipes and brackets which all came apart nicely with some heat on the bolts. For the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to weave the tailpipes out from under the car. They don't want to go forward or out the rear. Do I have to drop the gas tank? Remove the top link for the rear? 

Is there something I'm not doing?  Help? Stopping for some lunch and then I'll head out afterward, maybe things will look different

The Supers pipes went in by pushing and twisting them left and right as needed to go  over the axle.  Are you putting in new pipes? If so you may want to cut the old ones just in front of the rear axle and take them out in pieces. Some folks also cut the new pipes at the top of the loop over the axle and make a slip fit junction sealed with a clamp. But if the pipe is bent and formed correctly it should go in in one piece

Thank for the reply. I will be putting in new pipes but wanted to take the old ones out in one piece for comparison 

Update: I was able to get the driver side out but the passenger side no matter how I twist and turn its either hitting the torsion bar or gas tank  or the front of the pipe is wedging on the frame. I did disconnect the emergency brake cable at the torque tube. That made the difference getting the driver side out. Thinking I have to disconnect the torsion bar on the passenger side to get clearance.  Shouldn't be this difficult