New to Model 20

Simon Anderson

Very nice looking car, congrats on getting it!  Body color appears very close to original, a poppy red (red with a touch or orange in it).

I don't believe this is a 1909, unless someone has done some modifications to it along the way.  The number you have stated, is that on the dash plaque? Have you checked the actual  engine number, it's on top of the flange that connects engine and transmission.  Also, what shape is the gas tank?  1909's were squared off, the 1910 on was an oval side shape.

The high headlights did not come out until late 1910.

Yours is the first I've ever seen with a buggy rail added to support the top, the original top body irons were all mounted inside the wood seat, not externally.

None of this is criticism, just pointing out some differences, very nice car!

You did ask for tips and tricks!

Oil reservoir on side of engine, drips oil into crankcase at rate which varies with speed.  There are two drain valves on bottom of engine, each should have a standpipe about 1-1/4" tall.  This is level of crankcase oil.  The oil dripping does NOT go to any specific lubrication point, just refills the oil pan as the engine uses or leaks oil.  With better pistons in a Hupp engine today, you'll lose a lot more from leaks than burning oil.

The transmission has a large and a small bushing at the rear of the housing.  These wear, and if worn enough your shifting experience will be miserable.

Hupp offered two rear end ratios.  3.5-1 for flatlands, 4-1 for hilly country.  A 3.5 rear end will get you to 40 miles per hour, a 4.0 won't.  A 4-1 will pull a hill better, but you still may have to downshift half way up the hill.

Make sure your brake shoes aren't soaked in oil from a leaking rear axle seal.  The Hupp has miniscule brake pad area, and you need all the help you can get.

The original carb was a Breeze, and the owner's manual is something like 36 pages long.  I have it electronically if you still have a Breeze.  More often, people cut the bottom of the intake manifold off and installed a Model T carb.

When driving at speed NEVER hit brakes without pressing in the clutch.  You have all the flywheel weight rotating, and forces being transmitted through the crankshaft can snap it readily.

Make sure your magneto is in tip-top condition.  A magneto can lock up, and when it does it takes out the cam gear, which on the Hupp is a HUGE issue to repair.  Ask me how I know kinda thing.

The front seal on the crankshaft can sling a lot of oil.  There was a cover that was made by Hupp to keep this from going all over the inside of your hood.  If you don't have the cover, bet there's a nice line of oil inside your hood.

If you ever have trouble with the differential, the entire gear assembly can be installed from a Model T with only the slightest of modification, they're virtually identical.  You CAN ask me how I know that!

If your rear axles are the round type with a pinned hub, that the hubcap keeps the pin in place, carry an extra pin with you in case one snaps.  Yep, happened to me.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the information, very informative.

the engine and plaque number match, #0521 it even has its original plaque on who sold it.

It was supplied with a few spare, breeze carbie, has T ford on currently and the correct low mount headlight brackets which will both go back on, but I believe I will need  a manifold.

i will get a few photos today and post up.

I do want to get it back to original spec as possible, so any feed back is welcomed.

Those numbers are somewhat of a mix, with a low engine number and a higher transmission number and a very high data plate number.

It's a nice car, but I think what you have is similar to a 1911 I recently sold, where none of the numbers seemed to fit.  I think you have a 1910 car (based on fenders and step plates) that has had other mechanical components revised.

Still a nice car, just hard to qualify as an "original" car....and would still be a lot of fun!

Well it  sure  beats cranking by  hand. Are  you  a member  of the  Hupp  club? If  not  we  have  a lot  of  great members  that   are  willing  to  share  there  knowledge of  Hupmobiles. There is  a  tec. person  that  can  help  you  with  any problem  that you  may have  with  your  Hupp Model  20 Great car I have  been collecting Hupps  for  50  years  and  are  a charter member  of the  Hupp  club  that  was  formed  in 1970.

No i am not a member of the Hupp club yet..

I am slowly having a tinker with the car and finding a number of loose bolts, but what i would like to know is, how should the fitment be for the torque tube ball into the gearbox socket? i can move it up and down.

thanks Simon

Where about's are you in Oz?

As  David says  the  shape of the gas tank  and other features  suggests more likely 1910 Not that it matters much .  Down this part of the world the chances of finding  a 110 year old car that has not been messed with are very slim.  Yours has been messed with a lot less than some . Mine  came with the butchered  inlet manifold  and a Holley NH carb. I converted it back to the Breeze with a manifold that came out of the States . Is now original  but sometimes I wonder if was the right thing to do . The Holley NH is  designed for the larger   Model T  engine  which means the carb airflow is to large for the  Hupmobile  engine - The result was a slightly erratic idle  but great  pick up and  top end speed . My car  idles  well now but pick up/ top end speed has taken a slight hit -significant when you are playing with only 35mph  to 40mph .  I have heard stories of 50mph  but even the guru of  Model 20's  Bill Cuthbert  says that any thing  that can get over  30 mph on the flat is a good one . The Breeze is also a little tricky to restore -Both Phil and I sent ours to someone in Montana  who did a great job of restoring them 

The Hup is fun to drive  They can and did  do  large mileages in the day - Karl 

Edited by 1910Hupp (see edit history)

Simon - Will be in Melbourne the week of  of  the cup Having  a break  over there with friends  .

I believe  my car  is one of the  so called  Christchurch Six . 500  Model 20's came  to  New Zealand in 1910  so although not many complete cars there were lots of  parts around.  In the 1980's  a group of  guys in Christchurch pooled all their parts  together and there was enough  parts to make  6  cars.

At the moment  my car is  laid up with an ominous rattle on start up and shut down . I suspect a loose timing gear on the  end of the camshaft . When I get back form Melbourne I have a further 2 weeks of work and I will  get into the engine then .