RetroSound radio and speaker install - 68 Riviera

NC1968Riviera

UPDATED October 28, 2018

This weekend I replaced the stock AM/FM radio and speakers in The Aqua Zephyr with a new digital receiver and dual voice speakers from RetroSound. (https://www.retromanufacturing.com

I bought the "Hermosa" model which has AM /FM, Bluetooth, USB port, AUX 1&2 ports, and 4 channel pre-amp outputs. 

The speaker installations were pretty straight forward with a little modification needed of the front speaker mounting holes and the plastic speaker frame in order to fit on the dash speaker grille. 

I installed the optional USB /AUX port extention in the cigarette lighter hole in the ashtray. 

The sound output is greatly improved over the stock radio and mono speakers that were replaced. 

The original BUICK radio.

20181014_134642.thumb.jpg.746e827b6fb016170032cf151c071a01.jpg

The new RetroSound radio with bezel #126. 

20181028_133533.thumb.jpg.6e8e19b373d4f92bdd9107f03b23b8b2.jpg

The USB/AUX port accessory was installed in the ashtray cigarette lighter hole.

20181014_174325.thumb.jpg.95f919279b74c68f385b0e193042625d.jpg

The cigarette lighter did not work so I used the cigarette lighter wire (orange) for the constant 12v lead and the original radio ACC 12v wire (yellow) for the ACC lead. 

I used splice connectors in order to avoid cutting off the original wire connectors.

20181014_140731.thumb.jpg.f1112d6294fb0020867e2b4a77c0990d.jpg

The 4x10 front speaker has mounting "ears" on each end that needed to be bent out of the way or cut off. I also had to widen two of the mounting
holes and part of the plastic speaker frame to get around the dash speaker cover post "humps", as shown below.

20181014_143352.thumb.jpg.cbb4efb77e6b997ec87dffc9c1908aa5.jpg

The rear seat speaker mounted without any modifications needed to the speaker or the grille.

20181014_154238.thumb.jpg.bf7239724f07e77ba0e8a17df5384728.jpg

I used some wire loom to protect the two new speakers wires. I left the original speaker wire and ground strap in place.

20181014_155134.thumb.jpg.ce911140432e2dad09b05ca5b1b5999b.jpg

The stock radio support was used to support the new radio. I added a self-adhesive felt bumper between the bracket and the radio as a shock absorber. The bracket screw was the ideal spot for the radio ground wire. 

20181015_111636.thumb.jpg.64201d030b7c20a8b0b91d984b7be3ac.jpg

If you order this kit for the 68-70 Riviera, be sure to also order or request bezel #116. You will have to grind away the left and right outer edges of the bezel to get it to fit flush in the radio opening of the dash. This is because the radio control knob "cups" in the dash hit this new bezel on the reverse side of the dash, keeping it from sitting flush in the opening. The areas circled below are the areas to be ground off. Remove both ends until the edge is flush with the radio opening edge of the bezel. 

IMG_20181028_140233.jpg.86307d1dd581f1a238598f25aa0fb3de.jpg

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, steelman said:

Looks very good. I have been looking at these for the 63. I want something to fit the hole without modifying the dash. I know, hard to believe, but I want to do it right.

Mike, did you see the screen protectors?

9B4BA6EC-7F48-4FB6-8C68-4C6BFBD208B6.jpeg

I bought the Buick screen protector but I did not like how it looked after putting one on. Plus I think it would block the digital radio display. 

Keep your stock radio and install a Redi Rad.  All you'll have to do is hide one "jack" wire in an ash tray or your glove box.  Then access your favorite music anytime.

I talked to Matt about doing this to the AM/FM radio for my '64 some time ago.  I had a local guy go through my radio and rebuld the stock speakers for me.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrergDBrBjY

The sound quality of this video isn't quite as good, but you might like the radio that he uses for this one better.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-uznlSY59U

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steelman said:

Looks very good. I have been looking at these for the 63. I want something to fit the hole without modifying the dash. I know, hard to believe, but I want to do it right.

Mike, did you see the screen protectors?

9B4BA6EC-7F48-4FB6-8C68-4C6BFBD208B6.jpeg

I bought a retrosound model 2 for my 63 and added a 200-WATTS dual voice coil speaker for the middle rear location. I am very happy with the outcome although I also find the screen protectors useless.

No need to modify the dash.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RivNut said:

Keep your stock radio and install a Redi Rad.  All you'll have to do is hide one "jack" wire in an ash tray or your glove box.  Then access your favorite music anytime.

I talked to Matt about doing this to the AM/FM radio for my '64 some time ago.  I had a local guy go through my radio and rebuld the stock speakers for me.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrergDBrBjY

The sound quality of this video isn't quite as good, but you might like the radio that he uses for this one better.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-uznlSY59U

I am keeping all of the original radio and speaker components but I am not going to do another swap for some time. 

4 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

I am keeping all of the original radio and speaker components but I am not going to do another swap for some time. 

Mike,

The nice thing about the RediRad is that it's not a swap.  Just find a place to mount it and plug it in to your original radio.   Kind of like the multiplex stereo that was an option back in the era.

Ed

• Like 1

The RediRad sounds like the old FM converters from back in the day, in that it sits in the middle of (and sometimes replaces) the signal flow from the antenna.  Given that these cars aren't going to provide an awe-inspiring listening environment without serious, invasive modification in any event, RediRad could give you options other than talk radio or the Farm Report without needing a wholesale overhaul.

If you want the full effect of stereo and the other elements of a modern radio but don't want to have anything but the original radio in your dash, you can have yours converted to do just that.  Buy an older radio off eBay for $30 bucks or so then send it in and have it converted.

Here's a video that shows what can be done to an old AM radio so that it has both AM/FM and auxilliary capabilities.

This is only one of many conversions that are offered.  Look on YouTube or Google it.  

Here's another link.  

http://www.randbvintageautoradio.com/RandBVintageAutoRadio/Contact_Us.html

The only thing you need to do while your radio is being converted is to figure out where and how to hide a four or six speakers so you can get the full effect of the new radio.  Make that trip enjoyable.  I don't have anything like this in my '90 but it has a factory cassette player in the radio.  I have an old Sirius XM Sky Fy unit that plays through the cassette.  Not having to listen to commercial radio and not having to constantly search for stations while on a long trip, surely makes the trip more enjoyable.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

and added a 200-WATTS dual voice coil speaker for the middle rear location

Jan, can you tell me more. This sounds like what I need, but not sure of size. A part number and where you purchased it would be a great help.

This is the other radio I am considering.

7409b70ce8e501c1ce759a82b870a481.thumb.jpg.099cecfb6409ee4de69ece158faa6dea.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steelman said:

and added a 200-WATTS dual voice coil speaker for the middle rear location

Jan, can you tell me more. This sounds like what I need, but not sure of size. A part number and where you purchased it would be a great help.

This is the other radio I am considering.

7409b70ce8e501c1ce759a82b870a481.thumb.jpg.099cecfb6409ee4de69ece158faa6dea.jpg

Hi Steve,

I am afraid that I bought mine Down Under:

RETROMODâ„¢ NEO-SERIES 6'' x 9'' 200-WATTS DUAL VOICE COIL SPEAKER 

https://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/

RETRO SOUND SINGLE VOICE COIL 3-WAY ULTRA THIN (1.7'deep) 6x9 INCH SPEAKERS, 200 WATTS WITH NEODYMIUM MAGNET & TWEETER

However, I think it is the same as the R-69N that you can get from https://www.retromanufacturing.com/products/6x9-inch-ultra-thin-dash-speaker?variant=31329865422 but you better double check this yourself.

Regards,

Jan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

Do you guys with the Retro Sound set ups show your cars?  If so, do you lose points for non original radios?

Well, my car isn't even the original color, so I don't fret over show stuff. I just want a good driver and I do my best to make small "tasteful" changes.

And yes, I have a storage shelf with a stock stereo on it :)

I upgraded the stereo in my 65 last year, and went with the RetroSound Hermosa, which I have been very happy with. No mods needed for the dash, but the black plastic bezel that goes around the face of the head unit needed a bit of filing top and bottom to fit in the dash opening (Yes, the bezel pushes in  from the back side). The hands-free microphone is mounted in the empty center slot between courtesy and antenna switches. I had also originally mounted the USB/3.5mm Aux into the cigarette lighter opening, but later found out that the USB port is purely for audio input, and will not charge a phone, so I ended up removing it, as I use Bluetooth for music streaming. 

IMG_0492.thumb.JPG.c052d93df153a613bb0e2b164c0f02b3.JPG

The front speaker was replaced with a RetroSound D-412, which fit pretty cleanly. The back tray already had 6x9's installed in it by the previous owner, so I didn't have to feel bad about cutting into it myself. I may hide those in future. I did also manage to fit a 6x9 subwoofer(https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w69-1042j-6x9-subwoofer--264-837) into the rear center speaker opening. This required more work, with a bit of hammer massaging of the metal brace behind it, and a wooden adapter ring to mount the speaker to the back side of the stock speaker cover. I should have taken more pics of that process, but it is invisible once complete. 

IMG_0493.thumb.JPG.ca453f8b2d52239358a5def246cc86e1.JPG

Edited by GCC (see edit history)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, GCC said:

the USB port is purely for audio input, and will not charge a phone

That is too bad because my RetroSound USB port will charge my phone when I connect a USB cable. Have you set your phone to "Charge" when the USB cable is plugged in? Sometime you might get a pop-up message on the phone asking what you want the phone to do when a USB cable is plugged in. The phone may not respond until you choose the correct setting.

Yeah, I use an iPhone, and later found a little note in the manual saying it would not work with iPhone. I'm guessing the USB port uses the old spec (0.5A max I think), whereas most chargers provide > 2A of current these days. You may find that your phone charges slowly.

• Thanks 1

For now, this is how I took care of my lack of tunes. For the most part I listen to the AM talk radio, but this little thing, sounds like my Bose radio, if not better. Plenty of juice, you have to hear it to believe it... 

https://www.lofree.co/collections/speakers/products/lofree-poison-speaker

IMG_0308.JPG

Edited by VickyBlue (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:25 PM, VickyBlue said:

For now, this is how I took care of my lack of tunes. For the most part I listen to the AM talk radio, but this little thing, sounds like my Bose radio, if not better. Plenty of juice, you have to hear it to believe it... 

https://www.lofree.co/collections/speakers/products/lofree-poison-speaker

Cool idea!

Are you using a metal hook used to suspend your radio/speaker?

If the hook slides around I'd be afraid of it scratching the face of the ash tray door or the edge of the opening above it. :o :(

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)

I used the metal hook for a few minutes, so I could test drive it and take a picture of it.  I found an old belt from the kid's closet, cut it to length and this is how it looks now. At some point I will get a longer leather strap like the one it came with and replace the belt, but this is how it looks as of right now. It just rocks now... doesn't roll... :)

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

Edited by VickyBlue (see edit history)
  • Like 2