1937 Horn contact plate - Picture please

bhemi

I feel like I am trying to do a jigsaw puzzle in the dark trying to put a steering wheel assembly together. Does anyone have a horn contact they could post a picture of with measurements across the face? I think one from 39-41? may work?

I suspect Gary has some better photos but here is what I have available. This is a spare 1938 metal button and inner contact plate that I picked up a while back. I don't remember what else should be between the two pieces but I suspect it is plastic. If Gary does not have any better photos, I can pull one apart and take some better photos for you. The contact plate appears to be 3 1/4 inches in diameter to me. 

DSC_0437.JPG

DSC_0438.JPG

Yes Bob's Has the insulation and at a very reasonable price. Thanks for both posts. I need that brass contact plate. I have purchased the "plunger" and wire assembly from Bob's that Gary shows in the first picture. What Mr. Hinson shows is the bit I am missing. The picture below is a 1941 contact plate on eBay for $20. I am wondering if I could make that work?

1941 Buick horn contact plate 4" diameter

Without doing any research, I Assume the 1938 one is the same as the 1937 one. I can sell you the 1938 one for that same amount if it will help you out. I am fairly certain the 1941 one is larger. The ebay ad appears to show it being 4 inch in diameter. I don't think you can easily make that one work.

4 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Without doing any research, I Assume the 1938 one is the same as the 1937 one. I can sell you the 1938 one for that same amount if it will help you out. I am fairly certain the 1941 one is larger. The ebay ad appears to show it being 4 inch in diameter. I don't think you can easily make that one work.

I will take. It should clean up fine. Send me a PM I have a US mailbox address and have PayPal if you take that.

2 hours ago, 70sWagoneers said:

What is the "brush" type thing lower down in the steering column referred to as? For a 37 Special.

I assume you are referring to Part Number 263549 in Group 2.819 which is called CONNECTOR, Horn Cable (on column jacket).

• Like 1

Okay last problem. I found a great old thread from 2012 with similar questions to mine and the answers. They speak of a spring and "star" locking washer. where am I going to find those and what does that spring do? 

The star washer is the lock washer for the steering wheel nut. I suspect a little bit of locktight would be sufficient to hold the nut in place. I would have to take mine apart to remember what size spring is on the horn button and exactly where it is. I am sure that Dave Tachney probably would have both of those (as well as about any other 1936-1941 Buick part).

• 4 months later...