Red translucent lacquer

PhilAndrews

I was a little sceptical, but I bought myself a can of Tamiya PS-37 red lacquer and redid the wheel center emblems on my Chieftain. The original finish had gone to a very worn, patchy brown.

I'm quite impressed with how it turned out.

20181014_113756.thumb.jpg.b01f56277c2ca9a12db658e7255471be.jpg

It's not cheap and it says "for polycarbonate", but it's a nice deep red (that's 3 coats). They have blue and green and yellow and orange also- I know a few people who have used the orange to stain glass for turn signals with good success.

I bought that can on Amazon but it's available in most model shops if you have one nearby. I figured I would show what it looks like for reference (and because I'm really happy how it came out!).

Phil

Edited by PhilAndrews
Grammar (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Interesting. Really like the depth of the red. Too bad the blue doesn't have a bit more pearl but it might work.

Searching the web I found these samples... very nice. Thinking of using it on a personal project unrelated to cars, perfect for what I was looking for.

Thanks for sharing

Image result for Tamiya PS-37 blue

16 hours ago, PhilAndrews said:

I was a little sceptical, but I bought myself a can of Tamiya PS-37 red lacquer and redid the wheel center emblems on my Chieftain. The original finish had gone to a very worn, patchy brown.

I'm quite impressed with how it turned out. It's not cheap and it says "for polycarbonate", but it's a nice deep red (that's 3 coats).  I figured I would show what it looks like for reference (and because I'm really happy how it came out!).

Thanks for the information.

Further proof of one gets what they pay for.  If one wants excellent results, its worth paying the price. 

Craig

23 hours ago, PhilAndrews said:

Welcome. I had figured quite a lot of vehicles make use of a red enamel, and this is something of a second best. For second best it's not half bad though.

Phil

It looks great, be sure and let the Early Times Chapter of POCI know about this, also it wouldn't hurt to post this in this forum's Pontiac section.

On 10/15/2018 at 2:29 PM, Hans1 said:

Thank you for posting .

What method did you use to mask unpainted areas?

Plain and simple- what I had laying around!

20181013_133920.thumb.jpg.df3804c7cbaf71b4bc6f192321f7f104.jpg

Electrical tape, carefully cut with a craft knife around the periphery to give a nice sharp line, then some cheap no-name brand duct tape that doesn't stay stuck to anything.

I did gently key the surface with 2500 grit paper and soapy water, but take care because any scratches really show up through the lacquer.

Phil

On 10/15/2018 at 10:13 AM, john hess said:

Looks very nice. I'm getting ready to do my 53 pontiac hubcaps. This will really help.... Thanks, John

I don't really have any references to the original shade of red used on the car- this is a little more magenta than I imagine it should be, but it's not an unpleasant shade of red at all.

I did the rear flank badges (because they had been painted badly), my rear brand badge in black enamel and the EIGHT by spraying a little bit of the red into one of those cups you get on the top of Nyquil bottles and applying with a fine brush.

20181014_181418.thumb.jpg.397a421ee103f237f85f0b5f6d804463.jpg

20181014_181434.thumb.jpg.5596ef3467822fb3cb89d3a293adb678.jpg

Phil

1 hour ago, john hess said:

I like the color. Can't really be a miss match if you had none to compare to.(like mine) It's certainly an eye catcher.. John

John,

It sure is. I'm hoping it lasts a decent amount of time. Either way, it's a lot better than what was left of the original finish!

20181013_130222.thumb.jpg.20593ecc8a4a5a70442e7b05405d29ed.jpg

Hub cap, the red looked like rust.

20181014_112524.thumb.jpg.f75c53df0ac536d1d5d94a7b75925c29.jpg

Flank badge, painted, uh.. not very well.

Phil

Edited by PhilAndrews
Added some pictures (see edit history)

Looks great Phil !  I have used "candy" translucent paints for lots of things through the years, and have had good luck with it lasting too. For what it's worth, I normally use 0000 steel wool for my prepping, but as you found, the fine paper works well too.  Thanks for putting this on, I didn't know about the Tamiya brand, I'm headed to the hobby shop !