Post-Hershey Packard truck meet today?

gwells

I’ve been told that there’s a meet of some kind today where the Packard truck guys and other old truck enthusiasts gather. Can’t find anything about this online and my source for the info can’t help either.

I’m in the area and if such a meet actually exists, would love to check it out.

Is there anyone with further info on this mysterious show?

I've never been, but I recall hearing that Dave Lockard has hosted his post-Hershey Packard truck meet in York Springs PA for years.

https://56packardman.com/2018/01/09/gear-head-tuesday-packard-trucks/

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2015/10/21/no-man-should-go-into-battle-alone-the-many-hands-behind-a-1918-packard-army-truck/

I vaguely recall hearing that either he is about to or has stopped doing it, though.  So I'm not sure if it's on this year.

Using the info provided, I had no trouble finding what Dave terms the Packard Truck Meet. It was surprisingly well attended with lunch provided for all, most of whom were Packard club members. Very interesting small selection of non-Packard collectors cars along with numerous Packards. Super nice people, too.

Dave confirmed that this indeed the last version of this long-running meet.

Greg,

I do not know if you are still there.  If you have a chance a tour of the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing museum at the Lattimore Valley Fairgrounds is very interesting.  Open 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. 

Regards,

Peter J.

Peter,

My post #5 above was actually made from the parking lot at EMMR!

Thanks for your kind advice, but I had noticed the sign for EMMR when I turned off US-15 to go to the Packard truck meet and went directly there when I left Dave’s farm.

”Very interesting” to say the least. I could spend a month there if they’d loan me the keys to the locked shelves in their library... Wish I had had more time and energy today,

1 hour ago, gwells said:

Peter,

My post #5 above was actually made from the parking lot at EMMR!

Thanks for your kind advice, but I had noticed the sign for EMMR when I turned off US-15 to go to the Packard truck meet and went directly there when I left Dave’s farm.

”Very interesting” to say the least. I could spend a month there if they’d loan me the keys to the locked shelves in their library... Wish I had had more time and energy today,

Put it on your bucket list, Greg.  Many interesting racecars and memorabilia from the past.  Our very dedicated National Director Norm Hutton collects dirt track vehicles and is a wealth of knowledge on the subject thus in addition to his many assignments he is the Chair of Race Car Certification.  In the museum is my favorite dirt track stock car of Bobby Gerhart, Sr.  If it is still there it is on loan from the Gerhart Family.   (His son Bobby Gerhart, Jr. is a long standing ARCA race driver of whom has had great success with many wins at Daytona.)

In my youth before and after my Army hitch I did many pinstripe and hand lettering jobs for anything from firetrucks to dirt track cars.  I got to know Bobby, Sr. at the old Reading Fairgrounds 1/2 mile track.  Helped out on his pit crew and lettered 3 cars for him after he bought out sponsor A. T. Consoli.  Bobby, Jr. (about 11 years old at the time) was constantly at the pit gates asking any of us what his dad is doing or what strategies he is using.  Bobby, Sr. made his last race in 1980.  Phoned him in 2003 to reminisce,  We had a few beers at the Womelsdorf, PA VFW.  Glad I saw him as he was killed in 2004 in a crash on E. Chocolate Ave as you come into Hershey from Palmyra.  

Peter J.

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

Peter,

Perhaps I wasn’t clear: I spent a couple of hours at EMMR and it wasn’t nearly enough.

Funny you should mention Bobby Gerhart. His brother and crew chief Billy is a good friend. Next time you see him, ask him if he knows a guy called Cheater Wells in the ‘small’ car world. Wish Bobby and Billy could have better on-track luck than they’ve had the last few years.

In fact, I am in Allentown tonight and planning to hit the Boyertown museum tomorrow. Halfway thought about getting an early start and heading to Lebanon to surprise Billy but it’s a fairly long trip do on a lark.

6 hours ago, gwells said:

Using the info provided, I had no trouble finding what Dave terms the Packard Truck Meet. It was surprisingly well attended with lunch provided for all, most of whom were Packard club members. Very interesting small selection of non-Packard collectors cars along with numerous Packards. Super nice people, too.

Dave confirmed that this indeed the last version of this long-running meet.

Glad it worked out.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gwells said:

Peter,

Perhaps I wasn’t clear: I spent a couple of hours at EMMR and it wasn’t nearly enough.

Funny you should mention Bobby Gerhart. His brother and crew chief Billy is a good friend. Next time you see him, ask him if he knows a guy called Cheater Wells in the ‘small’ car world. Wish Bobby and Billy could have better on-track luck than they’ve had the last few years.

In fact, I am in Allentown tonight and planning to hit the Boyertown museum tomorrow. Halfway thought about getting an early start and heading to Lebanon to surprise Billy but it’s a fairly long trip do on a lark.

True, Greg.  Not clear where the Packard meet was held.  Bobby, Jr's. race shop is at his business "Bobby Gerhart's World of Trucks" located as you come into Lebanon on route 422 west.  Call ahead of time and see if Billy is there.  As for the Boyertown Museum of Historical Vehicles you will find that very worthwhile.  My office was 3 blocks from there prior to retirement.  

Have a good time...