Catalytic converter broken

ptt

My 1990 Convertible exhaust note started getting a little louder gradually this week.  Today it got really loud so I raised it and took a look.  Sure enough the pipe coming out of the back of the catalytic converter has separated from the cat.  My question:  Is the Converters inlet/outlet pipes both 2.25in or 2.5in.???  It looks like the Cat has been rigged before as there is a big hose clamp wrapped around the heat shield/body of the CAT to hold it together!!!     

Even in the nearly rust free state of Missouri, slipping a direct fit CAT onto a Reatta without having the car up on a hoist is not going to be easy and I recommend a universal CAT for DIY replacement. Working space under a car on jack stands is limited, even with air tools and a torch, O2 sensors do not like to come out of the bung, nuts do not like to come off the studs, getting the flange to seat while laying on your back and stretching rock hard old rubber to move the exhaust back far enough to slip over the new pipe is a test of will and strength. Even up on a hoist, if you break a stud or bolt and need to work over the exhaust header it can become a job and a half. 

Slapping in a universal CAT is fairly easy as the O2 sensor to CAT core distance of the OBD-1 system isn't critical to operation and a DIY in the driveway job requires minimal tools. Slice the pipe front and back of the CAT with a recip saw, slip the new CAT on to the existing pipe, clamp it tight, with your impact gun and you're good to go. Sometimes you need to add a length of repair pipe which can be purchased with a pre expanded end and that makes fitment easy.

I don't understand the concern about the O2 sensor. It is mounted in the exhaust manifold and doesn't come into play on a Reatta converter installation, including one that includes the pipe that bolts to the manifold like I suggested. I see no reason to cobble together a universal cat with extra pipes and muffler clamps when you can buy something that will properly for very little difference in cost.

• 2 weeks later...