1955 Buick Horn Button

packick

There are two horn buttons that were used on 1955 Buicks, a black one and a white one.  The most common ones were the black ones.  I am confused as to which button was used on which model of '55 Buicks.  Were the white ones standard equipment on the Roadmasters, or did they too come with the black ones?  Were the white ones an option for any model?

I only remember the black one with all the '55 Buicks my father had (Centurys and Specials) and the 2-Dr. Century I have but, then again, we could never afford a Roadmaster so I am not sure which button they came with.  For what it's worth, my Century has factory installed power steering and does not have "Power Steering" written on the horn button.

My 56 has the white and all the 56s i have seen had the white.

Just a thought but you could search images of the 55 on the net. Most would hopefully include interior pics and you can see whether there is anything but black. Not 100% conclusive but would be damn compelling if there is no other colour.

I did as "56 Buick" suggested and got on Google Images and typed in "1955 Buick Steering Wheel."  Overwhelmingly most had the black horn button but a few had the white ones. Then I did the same search for the 1956 Buick.  Overwhelmingly the white horn button was prevalent on those cars.

So here is my theory. The standard horn button on the 1955 Buicks was black; the standard horn button on the 1956 Buicks was white.  BUT, they are interchangeable so the owner could switch colors if he/she wanted to.

• Like 1

OK, I think I can finally put this topic to rest.

There is an ad on eBay that is selling an NOS white horn button with “Power Steering” written on it (ad 113338832625).  The ad says it is for a 1955 or 1956 Buick.  The ad also shows a picture of the box that the button came in, part number of 566432, Group 2.820.

While I don't have a 1956 Buick parts book to look that part number up, I do have a 1955 Buick parts book and it lists part number 1167529, Group 2.820 as the correct horn button for the 1955 model with a flexible steering wheel.  They call it a “Monogram” horn button.  As no other horn button part number for the flexible steering wheel is listed, it can be assumed that this is the only horn button offered for all four 1955 series cars.

I think, therefore, that the ads claiming a white horn button is for a 1955 Buick are essentially implying eBay's term “Fits” for that button (I hate that term when I do a search).  A black horn button is correct for 1955 Buicks, all models.

• Thanks 1