Best way to find out what starter I need for '64 401?

Hazdaz

Never seen this before but I was ordering a starter on one website, and the list of choices for my 1964 401 is engine code KT or KV.  On another site, they asked for the part number on the starter itself.  Is that even easily found on the starter without disassembling everything?  Its been pretty much non-stop rain over here (whole summer has been a wash-out!), so haven't had the chance to go out and grab the engine code off the block or look under the hood to see if I can even find any codes on the starter.

One of the ones I was looking at was from Jegs:  https://www.jegs.com/i/Powermaster/713/9501/10002/-1?ymm=4294829682+4294829225+4294829199 

Autozone has one for TWICE the price:  https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/starter/duralast-starter/120294_23521_0

RockAuto only has the solenoid and not the entire unit.

Kanter is the one asking for the tag number on the existing starter:  https://www.kanter.com/productdetail.aspx?DeptNo=3100&MakeName=Buick&MakeYear=1964&CategoryID=400&ProductCode=4000&Router=Catalog

Bernie,

I've been selling these particular "Mini's" since 1999. Except for ONE, which he explained that he messed up" there have been NO RETURNS or complaints. They weigh 6lbs. 12 ozs. as opposed to almost 30 for a stocker. Can crank up to 16-1 compression & draw less than 1/3 the amperage while NOT giving that gear reduction starter sound. Our "Nails" aren't Mopars!!!. They say the biggest form of flattery is when someone tries to copy what I've accomplished. There ARE copies but, there is ONLY ONE original.  They ALL claim to fit with no modifications & some are cheaper for less $$$$, but over the last almost 20yrs. mine fit, are a BOLT-IN with NO modifications. I also do "Mini's" for straight 8's & other "Nails" from '53-'63. 

I researched 20+ yrs. ago what "Modern" seals fit our "Nails" & others have copied.  I've also designed "Roller Tip Rockers" that are dyno proven for a HP & TORQUE increase. NO other mods nec. on a completely stock application.

I also worked with a piston manufacturer for 2yrs. to produce "Forged" pistons for our beloved "Nails" at a reasonable price which INCLUDES wrist pins, pin fitting & rings. 

I've been involved with the fastest "Nails" in the country as well as MANY rebuilds.  So I can assure you I've got the experience.

Hazdaz,

The cost although slightly more costly than others, like I said, I GUARANTEE to fit are $319.00. Shipping in a medium flat rate box is approx. $15.00.

Tom T.

• Like 1

My comment was on the first entry where online data bases cause confusion about applications. The worst is Ebay's parts compatibility.

I have seen the mini starters. I have been driving LT1's of some sort since '03. I bet if yours fell out of the boxes you could just pick them up and put them back. Using an online selector is a whole different story.

Bernie

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 12:30 PM, telriv said:

Bernie,

I've been selling these particular "Mini's" since 1999. Except for ONE, which he explained that he messed up" there have been NO RETURNS or complaints. They weigh 6lbs. 12 ozs. as opposed to almost 30 for a stocker. Can crank up to 16-1 compression & draw less than 1/3 the amperage while NOT giving that gear reduction starter sound. Our "Nails" aren't Mopars!!!. They say the biggest form of flattery is when someone tries to copy what I've accomplished. There ARE copies but, there is ONLY ONE original.  They ALL claim to fit with no modifications & some are cheaper for less $$$$, but over the last almost 20yrs. mine fit, are a BOLT-IN with NO modifications. I also do "Mini's" for straight 8's & other "Nails" from '53-'63. 

I researched 20+ yrs. ago what "Modern" seals fit our "Nails" & others have copied.  I've also designed "Roller Tip Rockers" that are dyno proven for a HP & TORQUE increase. NO other mods nec. on a completely stock application.

I also worked with a piston manufacturer for 2yrs. to produce "Forged" pistons for our beloved "Nails" at a reasonable price which INCLUDES wrist pins, pin fitting & rings. 

I've been involved with the fastest "Nails" in the country as well as MANY rebuilds.  So I can assure you I've got the experience.

Hazdaz,

The cost although slightly more costly than others, like I said, I GUARANTEE to fit are $319.00. Shipping in a medium flat rate box is approx. $15.00.

Tom T.

Send you a PM.