Why? Why?

76 Caddy

Says the car is in Corona, Ca., only an hour drive from Pasadena. Maybe one of the Boman or Schwartz family is hacking them up like their Grandpop's did.

Those old birds messed up some full classics.

There is a difference. One observer embraces 80 years of dogma and the other automatically rejects anything that came after them (unless they own it).

Bernie

There are plenty of recently modified cars I like, however that poor Caddy definitely is not one of them. Still when it comes to modified cars the one style {era ?} I come back to is late 1940's / early 1950's dry lake racers. Some were out and out race cars however most were dual purpose; daily driver, weekend racer. Usually quite low tech , just lots of ingenuity. 

Greg in Canada

While I wonder what an ""all working" boss entertainment system" is, I'm really impressed by the curb feelers, front and rear, with duals in the rear.  What are those metal panels beneath the rockers, between the front and rear wheels?  Draft curtains?  Surely not running boards ... ? 

As hideous as this thing is to me, it appears to have been "well done".  Someone sunk some serious $$$ into this thing.  To each his/her own.

Cheers,

Grog

OK I gave up trying to figure out other peoples tastes a long time ago.  All said, there is a lot of time and money in this car, not my style, but the owner liked it, even has a CB radio.  It is a time capsule of the 1980s, there will be a proud new owner somewhere (one bidder so far).

s-l1600.jpg

Aside from the car that isn't my taste, the houses you can see in the non-photo shopped backgrounds look like perfectly nice houses, and the ad would look a lot more 'normal' and probably wouldn't garner the negative attention if it wasn't so haphazardly edited like that

Edited by Stooge (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Stooge said:

Aside from the car that isn't my taste, the houses you can see in the non-photo shopped backgrounds look like perfectly nice houses, and the ad would look a lot more 'normal' and probably wouldn't garner the negative attention if it wasn't so haphazardly edited like that

The house in California those 13 kids were found held captive in last January looked 'perfectly nice' from the street in the news footages, too!!

Craig

At first I thought East L.A., but Corona, CA is close enough. What the heck is that on the trunk, some sort of spoiler/luggage rack? As a 1976 it qualifies for HPOF status, so if we see it on the show field at Hershey one year it will get points off for non-authorized accessories.

Say "pim". No, not the word"pin", it is not misspelled."Pim". OK. Now repeat the non word "pim" a dozen times as quickly as possible. For an inside glimpse into that lifestyle back in the '60s and'70s, listen to Curtis Mayfield's  "Diamond in the Back". That type of cruising, particularly when done with a "gangster lean", was often referred to as "profiling".         Yer old profilin',  Cadillac drivin' friend,     -    Cadillac Carl 

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:22 AM, Trulyvintage said:

The ebay seller has been on ebay since 2003 and has 100% positive feedback.

Just because you don't like the listing - that is no reason to go create a thread on a public forum stating it should be " illegal ".

Jim

By the owners own admission the car is illegal. The owner also said the vehicle is registered with the DMV as a non op. It's a non op because the owner knows if you change/tamper with the emission system he cannot pass emission testing and therefore can't register the car to drive on the road. In ca. and also with Federal emission laws it says you cannot tamper with emission controls. What did he do? You cannot change a EFI car to a carburetor, and while there is no picture of the engine/ engine compartment I bet I could find some other things that are missing.  

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:18 PM, capngrog said:

While I wonder what an ""all working" boss entertainment system" is, I'm really impressed by the curb feelers, front and rear, with duals in the rear.  What are those metal panels beneath the rockers, between the front and rear wheels?  Draft curtains?  Surely not running boards ... ? 

As hideous as this thing is to me, it appears to have been "well done".  Someone sunk some serious $$$ into this thing.  To each his/her own.

Cheers,

Grog

The metal panels fitted to the rockers are probably fiberglass, but if you look at many American cars of the 70's where 2/3 down from the doors the rest of the doors/fenders are canted in which exposes the fender, doors, rear quarter to all kinds of road debris kicked back from the tires, most of which are composed of rocks and pebbles which take the paint right off those panels. That was probably the inspiration for those things under the rockers.