looking around Hershey this year

Joe in Canada

Question for those who attended this year’s event.  Using the 25 year rule, the newest antique auto is a 1993 model.  Do you see cars or parts for post 1975 years?  Just wondering what’s going to happen to these cars.  My first new car was a 1973 Chevelle SS.  Hard to find any survivors of them.  

In response to Terry B 

Lots of parts and some cars even in the car corral.  I picked up a stainless bug guard for my 2006 F250.  They stopped making them years ago and only make plastic now real cheap,  unfortunately I think it fits a F150.  The shape is very similar and without one nearby I wasn't able to check,  but for 7.00 I couldn't resist.  I'll throw it on Craigslist and make a few bucks if nothing else.  

I see lots of parts for all eras and makes right up to a little real late model.   I like Hershey best though as the parts go back really old as well as the cars, unlike at other shows. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

Question for those who attended this year’s event.  Using the 25 year rule, the newest antique auto is a 1993 model.  Do you see cars or parts for post 1975 years?  Just wondering what’s going to happen to these cars.  My first new car was a 1973 Chevelle SS.  Hard to find any survivors of them.  

This was my 49th Hershey in a row and I wouldn't know what that late model stuff looked like, most vendors bring real old car parts. Bob 

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

This was my 49th Hershey in a row and I wouldn't know what that late model stuff looked like, most vendors bring real old car parts. Bob 

I know what they bring too as I went for more than 30 years myself and I sold MoPar parts for 1930s to early 1950s.  Point I was raising is the antique car hobby by the 25 year rule includes up to 1993 model year.  The stash of early car parts is dwindling so it can’t go on forever unless 3D printing can make new stuff.  Is there any attempt to include 1970s and up into the mix?  Hemmings Classic Car has been featuring a lot of 1970s cars the past few months so there does seem to be interest in them.

I like 1930s and up to the early 1980s stuff.  Others may not and that’s fine!  I was curious since I’ve not been to Hershey in six years to see if there is anyone looking to vend parts for the 1970s and up era.  Seems like it could be the affordable entry point for young hobbyists who have no connection to prewar or even pre 1970s cars.

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

I know what they bring too as I went for more than 30 years myself and I sold MoPar parts for 1930s to early 1950s.  Point I was raising is the antique car hobby by the 25 year rule includes up to 1993 model year.  The stash of early car parts is dwindling so it can’t go on forever unless 3D printing can make new stuff.  Is there any attempt to include 1970s and up into the mix?  Hemmings Classic Car has been featuring a lot of 1970s cars the past few months so there does seem to be interest in them.

I like 1930s and up to the early 1980s stuff.  Others may not and that’s fine!  I was curious since I’ve not been to Hershey in six years to see if there is anyone looking to vend parts for the 1970s and up era.  Seems like it could be the affordable entry point for young hobbyists who have no connection to prewar or even pre 1970s cars.

My Grandson is 6 years old, missed his first Hershey last year, talked all about it for the past year. He rode down with us on Tuesday, added to his Pre 1930 Hub Cap collection and license plate collection this year. He drove my '12 T up the road at the age of 4 sitting on my lap. I plan on helping him rebuild a Model A Pickup, and he really wants to help with the '39 pickup project. Too many fine cars & trucks and their parts to bother with late model stuff. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TerryB said:

Alot of collections are finally coming to market though as hoarders pass on that weren't available at any price.  Maybe some parts aren't as plentiful,  but I don't think we are running out of alot of stuff anytime soon.  Guys keep buying it just in case though they have a fully restored car.  When they finally sell that car,  the new owner rarely ponies up for the extras so they come back on the market again.   I would be more worried  about all the later model parts being tossed out as other than a few examples,  nobody seems to buy the parts much less fix the cars,  just the occasional guy who finds a real nice example that grandma banged up a corner on the garage or something and need a lens or molding. I have a bunch of early 80's late 70's GM headlight / tail light assemblies brand new in the GM boxes that have been in my ebay store for probably 5 to 10 years at 10 to 20.00 and have never had a buyer.  The only exception might be a monte Carlo firebird or Camaro piece. 

Guys were rebuilding Chevelles when they were ten years old.  80's cars are over 30 years old and other than a few exceptions rarely even get the occasional nod. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s what I was asking Auburnseeker.   I was a Scout leader for several years and used that to introduce kids to cars.  I did the automotive merit badge counselor job.  Kids like seeing really old cars but they were just as excited to see many of the newer cars too.  My son was raised in my environment of old cars and he has an appreciation for them but has no interest in pre 1970 stuff.  

Not trying to start a war with Bob, glad he likes what he has and his interests.  I like later stuff than Model T.  It’s good more parts stash are coming to market from the old guys that kept them forever.  The hobby covers a wide rage of interests, I just was trying to gauge the interest in newer stuff as an entry level point.  No harm in asking, I hope, about what is going on beyond 1960s cars.

Other than using a checkbook as a tool, please explain what Joe or Josephine Average can do "restoring" a 25 year old car, and why is the Late Model stuff pushed on them and not true old cars? My last 25 year daily driver got driven into the ground, paid $500. got three years out of it scrapped for $200, do I miss it? No.

Bob 

Not “pushing” anything  on anyone!!!   Please understand that!  As I said earlier in this thread  Hemmings is featuring more 1970s cars as affordable driving old vehicles.  If anyone is pushing them it’s Hemmings for featuring it.  I just read about a 1977 Ford Thunderbird in the Oct issue. The person who owned it looked hard to find one because his grandfather once owned one.   The 1977 Tbird was a car I considered buying in 1977 and instead bought a 1977 Chevy Nova with the Rally Package option.  If I was still able to drive I would enjoy having another 1977 Rally Nova today.  I watch Hemmings and that car is hard to find.  Today a restoration on one would involve, paint, trim, the unusual Rally option items and so on. No different than many other restorations.  If it were finished properly I would enjoy showing it at Hershey.  Nothing wrong with that I hope.  

A few issues back there was a two issue write up about a person who totally restored a Dodge Omni.  That one surprised me as I never would put that much effort or money into that type of car but that’s how the hobby goes.  As long as we enjoy what we are doing, that’s all that should count. 

Bob, I am thrilled you and your grandson have those plans to restore and enjoy the cars and trucks you mentioned.  And I do mean that with full sincerity.  My son and I did the hubcaps and license plate route too.  Today he has a license plate collection worth quite a few $$$.  At 26 his old car interest lies in post 1970 Euro cars, not 1930s Dodges or even Rally Nova cars.  His life and his likes!  At least he is in the hobby and that makes me quite happy.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

I do not think I photographed a car newer than prewar. If it does not have wire or wood wheels I generally keep on walking. Now that is just me and very thankful for the post war being so much more popular. There would not be enough pre war cars to go around and would be at a higher price at that. Supply and demand dictates the price. 

• Thanks 1