Modern castable Bakelite replacement material needed

alsfarms

I am looking into casting my own radiator cap to replace a well weathered original Bakelite radiator cap.  I know this same process has been completed many times.  Could someone share with me the best material to use that is easily castable, UV resistant, can stand temps to about 220 and be machinable in order to fit and glue the threaded brass cap into the finished casting.  I see that McMaster-Carr has a Black product that can stand temps to 180 deg. F but do not know how UV resistant that material is.  The McMaster-Carr P/N for this material is: 8644K55.  Please share your knowledge and experience.

Al

I would contact some of the urethane rubber/epoxy suppliers and ask what they would recommend as there is a wide range of product out there. There are also many Youtube videos and making mold and casting parts which are very informative. Here's a couple to start with  Alumilite.com (800-447-9344), Smooth On Rubber (610-252-5800), Polytech (800-858-5995) and BJB Enterprises. Just google casting resin and I'm sure more will come up. Good luck!

How about using Devcon Plastic Steel Liquid?  It is pourable, gets hard and strong, will take the heat and hot water, is machinable, and can be polished and painted.  It might be better to cast the liquid over the threaded brass part rather than trying to glue it in after casting.  The mold can be made from flexible urethane or silicone rubber using your old part (cleaned and polished/painted) as a master. Don’t forget to use mold release before pouring the Plastic Steel.

I have used both Smooth-On Urethanes for molds and their clear (which is tintable) for the actual part. I have also used Alumilite with moderate success. The Alumilite I used went past its shelf life, so the mediocre results may have resulted due to age, not sure which to blame it on, but Smooth-On solved my problem anyway so I never pursued a fresher batch of Alumilite.

These two articles may help:

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public2/small-parts.cfm

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public4/casting-taillights-1.cfm

I also have used DEVCON products (Rubber) with good success, so Gary's suggestion should be a good one. The material from Mcmaster-Carr is not DEVCON.

Edited by Friartuck (see edit history)

4 hours ago, mrpushbutton said:

If you can at all machine it from a solid piece (sheet goods) if the details aren't that fussy use Garolite

Garolite is not suitable for use outdoors so wouldn't be brilliant for a radiator cap unless carefully painted to exclude UV light. It is fibre-glass sheet reinforced epoxy.

• 3 months later...