Extra hole in drive tube

jord

Cannot find any reference as to a grease fitting or plug in the drive tube of a 1939 LZ 4 door. The hole is 5/16 in diameter and machined smooth, located about 2 inches behind the speedometer take off at the five o'clock position looking at the rear of the engine 

Thanks again to everyone for your help

Edited by jord (see edit history)

Thanks Ken, looks like some parts may have been changed over the years, right now I look up the hole and only see splines. I have installed the bearing so  I may have to take things apart to get a measurement as to it's location and drill a new hole for a fitting.Thanks

Definitely the splines, could be the drive tube was changed out before I purchased the car, thought nothing of it because when I removed the bearing it was well lubricated but now I think it was because my universal bearing and cap were leaking. I will try to get a photo of the set up.

Ken, you were right, I panicked because there never was a grease fitting and with brighter light I saw  the needle bearing. I just found out that  they did use press in fittings that would explain all. Will try and make photo's smaller next time

Thanks

DSC00177.JPG

DSC00181.JPG

DSC00183.JPG

Edited by jord (see edit history)