Transmission and Pinion Seals 1925 REO T-6

Meii

My question is for a 1925 REO T-6.  Nobody is really in the REO section of the forum.  I need to install new seals for the input and output shafts of the transmission, the rear axle pinion needs a new seal and outer axle seals wouldn't hurt.  I have no idea where the seals go or how to get to that point.  Do transmissions and carrier assemblies have to be removed in these antique cars?  The manuals don't talk about seal replacement.  The original seals were felt.  I have neoprene seal numbers that I was given:  22407 for transmission front and rear and 20045 for the pinion.  I don't even know if those are part numbers for NAPA or who?  Maybe if I could see the seals I would have a better idea.  The transmission housing is 1/4" thick and smooth, no groove where the shafts run through.  No grooves in the shafts either.  

Any help is really, really appreciated.

Thank You,

Jason

You can quickly ask the www for information on those seal numbers.

22407 appears to be a Chrysler number but is the same as a SKF number. Shaft size 2.25", bore 3.125", OD 3.13", width 0.5, style CRWH1, lip type R.

image.png.d418e9341328374108a6871c7043fc8a.png

20045 is here.

http://www.skfextranet.com/catalogs/457010/sealdetail.asp?s=20045

image.png.047a726deb705ede1e529a867f561966.png

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

If the rear originally had felt or leather seals, with those type of seals they are not air-tight so the rear axles didn't need to have a separate vent.  If you change them all to modern lip seals it's a good idea to thread one of the small rear axle vents into the top of  the differential. They come in a variety of types and are sold at most autoparts stores and online, like this one at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Currie-95065-Rear-Axle-Vent/dp/B019XEURTC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1539285159&sr=8-5&keywords=rear+axle+vent&dpID=41RN7TA--5L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Otherwise as the rear axle housing heats up in use it'll push oil out past the edges of the seals, and when it cools down suck some dust in under the lip of the seals, thus making an abrasive paste that will shorten the seal life.

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

This is great information, thanks to both replies!  It looks like the seals get seated in the opening of the case.  The bummer is that I have to take the transmisson apart to get the input shaft out.  The output shaft slides out easily and leaves a few gears behind in the gear case.  What about the pinion shaft, do those come off like modern style, it doesn't look like it?  Do I have to pull the axles, the carrier assembly and then the pinion shaft will come out?  Is there a crush sleeve or anything, the manuals don't tell me enough?

Thanks again,

Jason