brake drums for 30's cars

KLF

I'm doing the brakes on my 31 Chrysler CM6 right now and would like to find better drums. Mine have been turned quite a bit and some have heavy pitting that's too deep to get out. If I can't find better drums what are my options? Can the drums be built up and machined to size? Is anyone making repro drums??

Ken

If you look among my past posts, I have given fairly comprehensive instructions on how to do this with a Metco wire-feed thermospray coating.  Metco Spraysteel LS is a machineable or grindable work-hardening coating which has similar braking characteristics to SG cast iron.  You will find people in USA who use arc-spraying equipment which uses twin wire feeds.  This is much quicker and more economical than the single feed oxy/acetylene equipment which I have to use.  You machine on the slowest speed possible , preferably with the outside fitted with tight heavy strap of leather so you do not work- harden your job.  The big old Lang Lathe which I use for this has a slowest speed in back-gear of 12 rpm. Regards,  Ivan Saxton

• Like 1