1933 Dodge Brothers

Hi,  I am trying to sell a 1933 Dodge Brothers Truck, I believe it is a 1/2 Ton per the Title.  I don't know any information about it, my Grandpa gave it to my dad.  Any information you may have about this truck, for example a Model Number would really be helpful.  

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

It’s a 1 1/2 ton from the pics.  As mentioned the wheelbase would be good to know.  Bigger trucks bring less money than 1/2 pickups due to the size of the garage needed to store it.  Regardless, it’s a nice looking truck so finding a buyer should not be too hard.  Old Dodge trucks are very popular.

This is a H series Dodge truck.  Pickups were model HC, yours i think is a model H-30.  Does it run?  Do you know if the engine and transmission are original?  Often they have been replaced.  Interior trim on seats and doors does not seem original but again not a major issue.  Finding similar trucks that have sold recently is difficult as not many of there trucks are still around.

Ok I had my husband go measure it - he said 132”... Any information is very appreciated! I am very glad I found this website!! 

And my uncle went and he said 130” ha, so hopefully 2” is close enough.... my husband said the wheel was turned. Who knows who is a better measurer! 

Old cars lists 3/4 ton 131" wb, 1.5 ton not listed, previous poster may be correct
Value is $9000 to $13000 depending on condition and details.

Edited by 1950panhead (see edit history)

2 hours ago, TerryB said:

This is a H series Dodge truck.  Pickups were model HC, yours i think is a model H-30.  Does it run?  Do you know if the engine and transmission are original?  Often they have been replaced.  Interior trim on seats and doors does not seem original but again not a major issue.  Finding similar trucks that have sold recently is difficult as not many of there trucks are still around.

I just went & looked and the number on the Engine is actually what our Title says the VIN is - the Enging has T29230 on it & I found another number 8490625 that might be the VIN? or the B22 number?  That was more on the back of the under the hood.  It said 8400 for weight.  Our mechanic said that he would bet that it is original engine & original transmission.   My dad owns a construction company, and my grandpa gave it to us - we have used it for our construction company in parades, and recently had it at a Prime Steel Show here in town.  Our mechanics have been taking care of it for us - we have had the same one this whole time.  We are ready to make more room in our warehouse & sell it so it has been very challenging for me to get information.  I really appreciate all of the help. My grandpa passed quite some time ago and the guy who restored it also passed away.  He used to call it the Fargo Truck?? We are right by Fargo - in Grand Forks, ND - maybe that is why he bought it!  I don't know... 

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

It was common practice years ago to use the engine number as the vin on the title.  The number that begins with 89 is most likely the truck’s serial number.  I don’t have my Dodge truck reference books anymore, if I did they would help identify the engine year.  Since your title has this same number it’s very possible your engine is the original.  Running and driving is a big plus!  As is typical in life I just recently sold my reference books so I’m hitting a dead end on more info.  Hope your sale goes well!

Terry

47 minutes ago, TerryB said:

The T can be an engine number prefix.  If memory serves me, there is a flat space on the front left side of the engine that has the engine number stamped in it.  Check that number against your title.

The T on the left front of the engine matches my VIN number on the Title!  There is a number 84905 then a space then a 25 - that sort of seems like a Vin Number according to the numbers.  I did find a reference book & the Serial Numbers starting in 8483101-8498804 say they were H20, H30, H 21 & H 31 - and either 1 ton or 1.5 TN - there is also a B 22 K 614S or something like that number which i thought maybe the B meant 3/4 ton and someone else thought it was too because the wheel base was 131".  My uncle said he talked to some guy who thought he knew about our truck and he thought it wasn't a Stake Truck and had rusted the back of the truck box and maybe they turned it into a Stake Truck - no one in my family can remember.  The most I have gotten is my grandpa called it a Fargo truck.  

Usually 1 1/2 ton trucks have dual rear wheels and the 1 ton have single wheels but over time changes get made for one reason or another.  Stake body trucks were very common in that era as delivery vehicles however you could just buy the truck with nothing mounted and make it any configuration you wanted for the job it had to do.  Almost anything is correct in the truck world due to the almost limitless options of how the truck might have been se-up and used.

Your reference to Fargo trucks is interesting.  Fargo was the name used on Dodge trucks for export. For example Dodge trucks in Canada are branded as Fargo trucks as were some of the trucks that found their way to Europe.  To go back even farther, Graham Brothers built trucks using engines from Dodge in the early days.  Dodge took over the Graham truck production and renamed them Dodge.

The wheelbase of your truck would put it in the 1 to 1 1/2 ton category.  Two ton and larger would have dual wheels and a longer wheelbase.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Usually 1 1/2 ton trucks have dual rear wheels and the 1 ton have single wheels but over time changes get made for one reason or another.  Stake body trucks were very common in that era as delivery vehicles however you could just buy the truck with nothing mounted and make it any configuration you wanted for the job it had to do.  Almost anything is correct in the truck world due to the almost limitless options of how the truck might have been se-up and used.

Your reference to Fargo trucks is interesting.  Fargo was the name used on Dodge trucks for export. For example Dodge trucks in Canada are branded as Fargo trucks as were some of the trucks that found their way to Europe.  To go back even farther, Graham Brothers built trucks using engines from Dodge in the early days.  Dodge took over the Graham truck production and renamed them Dodge.

The wheelbase of your truck would put it in the 1 to 1 1/2 ton category.  Two ton and larger would have dual wheels and a longer wheelbase.

Thank you so much for your help!  I think we just may never know exactly!  I hope we can find someone who enjoys it as much as my Grandpa did -  Thanks! 

• Thanks 1

Sally, Looking at the pictures and hearing what your uncle said about the back end rusted out makes sense. The platform and racks on it now are obviously homemade and this truck likely had steel manufactured body on it . Looking at the platform it has now notice the steel pans over the top of the rear tires. They may of been part of the original platform it had ,maybe with sides like a express truck. If you are open to offers , Ill make one . Mike

• Like 1

• 6 months later...