Uncrating Nash LaFayettes in NZ 1936.

nzcarnerd

Millers Garage, Khyber Pass, Auckland.

Photo credit  - heritage images 1533-Album-295-62-10 - at least that is what was posted with it on the facebook page I found it .

The workers look to be tearing the crates apart but many of them will have found their way into peoples' back yards as garden sheds and chicken coops.

Nashes at Millers Akl.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

These were commonly identified in production records as "CKD"  - Crated Knocked Down.

Tires and other parts removed for both easier shipping and allowing for use of local labor in reassembly to appease local government regulations. 

If they came like Studebakers, they came sitting on their brake backing plates with the wheels in the boot or inside. 30 or 40 years ago I met a chap in North Canterbury who went with his father to pick up their new 1939 Studebaker Commander - he still owned it.

Actually, CKD meant "completely knocked down". I have seen photos of a crate of sides, another of various bits and pieces. Our reassembly plant(s) used the parts plus local content, such as seats, wire, tires, carpet and so on. It was a way to establish and protect a heavily subsidised local industry. Our cars had a 45% excise tax on them. The last of the assembly plants shut down almost immediately the excise tax was stopped in 1997.

Those crated cars would be called CBU = completely built up. Add wheels and fuel and drive away.

I think we have seen that photo before, perhaps in the "what is it" forum.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:06 AM, Spinneyhill said:

If they came like Studebakers, they came sitting on their brake backing plates with the wheels in the boot or inside. 30 or 40 years ago I met a chap in North Canterbury who went with his father to pick up their new 1939 Studebaker Commander - he still owned it.

Actually, CKD meant "completely knocked down". I have seen photos of a crate of sides, another of various bits and pieces. Our reassembly plant(s) used the parts plus local content, such as seats, wire, tires, carpet and so on. It was a way to establish and protect a heavily subsidised local industry. Our cars had a 45% excise tax on them. The last of the assembly plants shut down almost immediately the excise tax was stopped in 1997.

Those crated cars would be called CBU = completely built up. Add wheels and fuel and drive away.

I think we have seen that photo before, perhaps in the "what is it" forum.

A complex subject but I do know that GM cars that  came in fully assembled were know as SUP - for single unit pack.

Post WW2 our Chevrolets - supplied ex Canada - went from being CKD to SKD - for semi knocked down. The bodies arrived painted and trimmed  The wiring, and some other parts, were supplied locally. They always came in blocks of 24 - why I don't know.