Dynaflow reliability

The Dynaflow is a curiously cool piece of engineering.   Of the 5000 miles I have put  on the Dynaflow in my 60,  it has been nothing short of smooth.   As far as the line take off...it is sufficient for my tastes.  I have yet to drop it in L for any reason as I have no reason.  Maybe one day so I can smell a Coker bias ply burning off the rim.  Maybe not.    As far as looking to pass when cruising at 60 MPH...hang on for when the secondary on the Rochester open,  say "Bye bye'".   The 401 hp/torque coupled to the Dynaflow is quite something when at speed.   This combination stuffed inside a 2 ton makes for some what of a sleeper on the highway.   

At any rate,  as for the leaking...the 1960 has just turned 35000 miles.  She leaks very little from the Dynaflow.  Of the many forum posts I expected gallons of transmission fluid on the floor daily.  In the 5000 some odd miles I have driven perhaps a 1/4 pint had to be added.  In short,  there is no worry of trans fluid checking to any degree.  No need. 

I think the Dynaflow simply gets a bad rap because of the less than stellar take off.  It certainly will not catch second gear resulting in a screech of tire.  What it does do is provide smooth power from stand still to cruise.   Further....it just keeps pulling...it don't run out of gears cause she ain't got none.                       

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

It certainly will not catch second gear resulting in a screech of tire.                       

You should really try Low. Hold the brake, wait for the hood to raise and then hold on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Beemon said:

You should really try Low. Hold the brake, wait for the hood to raise and then hold on. 

Always afraid to see a trail of parts appearing in the rear view mirror!!!  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Beemon said:

Yesterday sitting at a stop light I slipped the Dynaflow into L. It engaged with resounding authority.  I have very little doubt a bias ply would leave a long black strip with trailing white smoke.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had a shelf full of trophies from U.S. 30 Dragstrip in H/SA back in 1966 and 1967.

I had a 55 Special 2D Hardtop. with Dynaflow.

This class was for stock vehicles with 265 cu. inch and auto.  Needless to say

every 265 Chevy with a cast iron PowerGlide would be in my class.

Toasted all of them!  

Brake torque in LOW as much as you dare....then mash throttle on Green.

Same scenario all the time...... I'd jump 2 to 3 car lengths at the start, wind it out, shift to D

and they would never catch up.

Then, just pick up the trophy, get a picture, pound the hubcaps back on and cruise home.

They hated me........

Go out looking for Tri 5 Chevies and have some fun!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Roadmaster75 said:

I had a shelf full of trophies from U.S. 30 Dragstrip in H/SA back in 1966 and 1967.

Toasted all of them!  

Same scenario all the time...... I'd jump 2 to 3 car lengths at the start, wind it out, shift to D

Then, just pick up the trophy, get a picture, pound the hubcaps back on and cruise home.

They hated me........

Fun stuff!  

3 hours ago, Roadmaster75 said:

Toasted all of them!  

They hated me........

I did the same in the early 60's except no dragstrip or trophies...country roads and MONEY:  usually $5 (which is like $50 today).  One guy with a 55 Chevy kept coming back for more after some upgrades.  Even with dual exhaust, 4 barrel and other "power pack" stuff the outcome was the same.  Spanked him at least 10 times.  Even easier with standard transmission cars: they would pop the clutch and smoke the tires and/or miss or delay shifts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Roadmaster75 said:

I have only seen one Tri-5 Chevy at a car show with a 265 CUI engine... I don't think anyone could stomp a built Tri-5 with a built SBC and 700R4 unless something was really wrong with it. I'll stick to stomping Lexus, Toyotas, Nissans and Hondas with stock 4-bangers. You know I heard the GM 4 cylinder they put in their base model Camaros are nothing to be desired, too... 😎

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Roadmaster75 said:

They hated me........

Did you tell them you had the air conditioning on all the time?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Beemon said:

I have only seen one Tri-5 Chevy at a car show with a 265 CUI engine... I don't think anyone could stomp a built Tri-5 with a built SBC and 700R4 unless something was really wrong with it. 

I was thinking the same thing as I have seen some of those cars with blowers or turbos.

I cannot speak for any other year but for the '56,  I believe the weak link is not the Dynaflow, but rather the fine spline driveshaft.  So user beware of stomping it in low gear.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My first licensed, driving car was a '50 Special 2dr Jetback, not a fast one and soon replaced with a '53 Cadillac Fleetwood. At 17, my Buicks started with a '60 Invicta. My problem has always been uprooting motor mounts. I was pretty good in math and always figured the Chevy guys had to spend around $300-$400 in 1960's money to get close to my 401 325HP cars.

If the conversation got a little heated at the bowling alley on dance night I'd have my Cousin sit in the right rear to put a little weight on my pushing wheel. We had white stripes painted across the roads all over the place, naturally, a quarter mile apart.

Just remembering how much the Olds owner sizzled when I asked "You bought a new Gutless?"

Bernie

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

I cannot speak for any other year but for the '56,  I believe the weak link is not the Dynaflow, but rather the fine spline driveshaft.  So user beware of stomping it in low gear.

Party pooper!:D

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Since I'd be hard pressed to find another one, it might be a good excuse to turn my Buick into a Jaguar. 

"Did he break the transmission? You betcha. Several times.  But then he had a lead foot and a couple BRASS ones.  He learned to take it out , tear it down and back in in a day. Long one.  He was 19 at the time."

Can relate to that, Ben. Mine was a '54 Super and my right foot spent way too much time against the floorboard and L to D shifts were deadly for the Dynaflow. Like your brother I got pretty good at removing and replacing (4 or 5 times - memory is getting a bit hazy...) and junk yard transmissions were only $25 in 64-66 so the cost wasn't too high. Finally solved the problem by buying a '55 transmission, and linkage for the kick-down, and installing in the '54. With the dual stator acceleration in D was acceptable for a lead foot like me. Drafted in Jun '66 and while I was gone my folks sold the Super - still miss it today.😥

My take on reliability is that the early Dynaflows (49-54) are not as forgiving when abused as those from '55 on and from '58 to '63 are every bit as reliable and perform as well as 3 or 4 speed automatics in other marques. Drive yours and enjoy (I too vote for a high idle causing your lurch into L or R - Old Tank's advice to make sure your brake is firmly pressed when shifting will minimize this problem).

• Like 1

"Did he break the transmission? You betcha. Several times.  But then he had a lead foot and a couple BRASS ones.  He learned to take it out , tear it down and back in in a day. Long one.  He was 19 at the time."

Can relate to that, Ben. Mine was a '54 Super and my right foot spent way too much time against the floorboard and L to D shifts were deadly for the Dynaflow. Like your brother I got pretty good at removing and replacing (4 or 5 times - memory is getting a bit hazy...) and junk yard transmissions were only $25 in 64-66 so the cost wasn't too high. Finally solved the problem by buying a '55 transmission, and linkage for the kick-down, and installing in the '54. With the dual stator acceleration in D was acceptable for a lead foot like me. Drafted in Jun '66 and while I was gone my folks sold the Super - still miss it today.😥

My take on reliability is that the early Dynaflows (49-54) are not as forgiving when abused as those from '55 on and from '58 to '63 are every bit as reliable and perform as well as 3 or 4 speed automatics in other marques. Drive yours and enjoy (I too vote for a high idle causing your lurch into L or R - Old Tank's advice to make sure your brake is firmly pressed when shifting will minimize this problem).

On 10/10/2018 at 9:40 PM, Beemon said:

it might be a good excuse to turn my Buick into a Jaguar. 

You mean trade one spline for two on each side at the rear?

Ever seen those knock offs spin in the hubs?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And Lucas electrics ,Prince of darkness,really not that bad, just clean contacts , SU carburetors easy to set up with right tools and understand how linkage work. Parts are $$

As In earlier post mine is a 49 , best way to drive it is that I give it gas , back off slightly, and let engine and Dynaflow work together, something like Dynaflow Zen!!!

I just keep it floored until the red and blue lights can be seen. 

Always had a lead foot. Never blown a transmission in the 15 some odd cars I have owned. Not try to either. 😁

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, avgwarhawk said:

I just keep it floored until the red and blue lights can be seen. 

Both eyes on the road, both hands on the wheel, both feet on the gas.